Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Hobbies and Crafts *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=432)
-   -   Making vanilla (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=372035)

backtobasicsmum 08-16-2010 08:35 PM

Making vanilla

I wasn't sure the best forum to ask this in...but this is kind of a *creating* thing.....:think

So, I know in the past people have made vanilla to give as gifts. I finally have some vanilla beans coming to me, thanks to Blue Savannah :rockon, so tell me what I need to know.

MamaCat shared a link with me for bottles : http://www.sunburstbottle.com

Links for tutorials....tricks you learned from doing it yourself...and as for the vodka, I will need very, very specific info on what kind. Not a drinker here, so I have absolutely NO CLUE what to get in regards to that!

So, really, tell me all you know! :heart

KarenBoo 08-16-2010 08:38 PM

Re: Making vanilla

:popcorn

I hope Crystal will reply because she has a specific alcohol that she uses that's gluten free and I can't remember what it is! :O

The Tickle Momster 08-17-2010 07:18 AM

:popcorn

How long can you use the same beans? I've had mine going for over a year now. Think it's time to put in new ones?

TraceMama 08-17-2010 07:21 AM

:popcorn Thank you for asking this! I'm interested too :hug

backtobasicsmum 08-17-2010 08:49 AM

Morning :bump for someone who knows what they are doing! :giggle

iheartsam 08-17-2010 08:51 AM

:giggle Sorry, I can't help. Seems like a lot of people need this info. I want to know too! :popcorn

Blue Savannah 08-17-2010 09:00 AM

Marielle's method here is by far my favorite. The chopped up beans are not as visually appealing, but if you are giving it as gifts, you could save out a few whole beans and put one or two in each bottle.

I buy Seagram's extra smooth vodka because I'm a wimp and I don't like the smell of the other stuff. :shifty It makes no difference in the final taste, unless you drink it straight. :giggle

I use a mix of tahitian and bourbon beans. About 1 tahitian to 2 bourbon. :) The tahitian beans have a quick burst of flavor and the bourbon have a lingering taste.

iheartsam 08-17-2010 09:38 AM

A little OT but still related... :shifty So, the bottles... for gift giving, would you do 4 oz.? or 8 oz? What size would hold the whole vanilla bean best? And should the bottle be brown, like you normally buy vanilla in? Or is clear ok?

Blue Savannah 08-17-2010 09:43 AM

My opinion ;) is that clear is really pretty. You can see the beautiful color of the homemade vanilla and the bean(s) if they're in there.

Beans are about 7" long. It really depends on the bean, but that's the size I usually get. I've given 8 oz. bottles, but 4 oz. would be lovely, too. :heart

backtobasicsmum 08-17-2010 10:06 AM

Thanks Kristin for all the great info. :rockon Seriously woman, is there anything you can't do? :kiss

Marielle 08-17-2010 10:06 AM

Thanks kristin! I do reuse beans from old batches and they still give off tons of flavor. Here's a more detailed post from a while back:
http://maricucu.blogspot.com/2010/04...e-vanilla.html

After your rec of the bourbon beans I might just have to give them a try too. ;)

backtobasicsmum 08-17-2010 10:11 AM

So, I really need to let this stuff brew for 6 months? Too late for Christmas, hey? Or could I decant into smaller bottles initially, and give the brew to people at Christmas...with the note that they have to wait another 2 months to use it?? :giggle

Marielle 08-17-2010 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backtobasicsmum (Post 3271170)
So, I really need to let this stuff brew for 6 months? Too late for Christmas, hey? Or could I decant into smaller bottles initially, and give the brew to people at Christmas...with the note that they have to wait another 2 months to use it?? :giggle

You could definitely do that! I find at 4 months the flavor begins to deepen but it's even richer at six months. If you know the person likes to bake I would give them 8oz since they will likely thank you in baked goods. ;) if the person or family isn't really into baking too much then 4oz is more than enough. I go through a 750ml bottle about every six months.

KarenBoo 08-17-2010 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backtobasicsmum (Post 3271170)

:giggle I just ran out of my vanilla and I was going to make some to replace it! I guess I'd better buy some more and get to "brewing" my own quick!:lol

MamaPepper 08-17-2010 10:38 AM

Timely thread. I've had quite a few beans hanging around that I want to get this started
Posted via Mobile Device