Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Hobbies and Crafts *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=432)
-   -   Circle skirt help! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=527093)

Mother of Sons 05-10-2019 12:20 PM

Circle skirt help!

I have to hem 10 skirts tonight and I just don’t know how to do it. They have flared ends that are basically circles. The fabric is stretchy. They each need to be hemmed 3-4 inches and I am not allowed to cut anything off. This feels totally impossible to me without altering the flow of the skirts. Any ideas?

Edited to add. They actually are double hemmed already. They just need to be shortened 3-4 inches.

knitlove 05-10-2019 12:39 PM

Re: Circle skirt help!

I have done things like that by hand so you can take tiny tucks in the fabric on the inside.

I don't know how to make that work well with a blind hem on a machene. There are probably ways to do it with lots of pinning.

Hopefully some one will have a better answer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

rosesnsnails 05-10-2019 12:43 PM

For a fast hem, I would use rickrack or bias tape. https://www.cucicucicoo.com/2017/03/...irt-bias-tape/ That is the fastest way that I know of to hem a circle skirt.

As far as having a wide hem, I really can’t think of a good way to do that. You could hem everything with the bias tape like above and then run a gathering stitch around it to take in all the excess fabric before shortening the skirt. I really think this would change the flow of the skirt.

The only other option I can think of is hemming them all the same and taking up the length at the waist. Let’s say you had to shorten the skirt 4 inches. Run a gathering stitch 4 inches from the waist all around the skirt, pull the gathering stitches until the skirt is the width of the waistband, fold skirt up at the gathered stitch line, stitch around the waistline. You could run a second gathering stitch at the new waistline for the skirt to make it more even and easier to sew. (I hope that makes sense.)

Good luck!

Mother of Sons 05-10-2019 01:00 PM

Taking it in at the waist is the best option I think. The teacher isn’t going for it though. They are already hemmed. Just need to be shortened 4 inches. I used the wrong terms.

rosesnsnails 05-10-2019 01:03 PM

Well, it is either that, cutting them, or having a thick heavy hem at the bottom that will definitely be noticeable. That is just the way it is. :shrug3

knitlove 05-10-2019 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosesnsnails (Post 6180063)
Well, it is either that, cutting them, or having a thick heavy hem at the bottom that will definitely be noticeable. That is just the way it is. :shrug3

Yep

Mother of Sons 05-10-2019 01:09 PM

Thanks. That’s what I figured but it helps to hear it from others!

Quiteria 05-10-2019 05:03 PM

I've never even seen one made with stretchy material, always something like woven broadcloth.

knitlove 05-10-2019 06:05 PM

Are these for dance?

Mother of Sons 05-10-2019 07:50 PM

Quote:

Are these for dance?
They are. But costumes are reused do alterations can’t be permanent.

knitlove 05-10-2019 08:10 PM

What is the waist like can you take it in there? Is there a band where you could gather more in to?

Is the director aware that if you do it at the hem it will drasticly alter the drape and flow? You could do a line of running stitches and gather the edge to the new narrower circumference and then iron and tack it down.

It depends on what is going to we worse for the show. Two long, bulky waist or heavy hem.

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

I saw this and went and found it for you. My friend who did consuming professionally added $100/ hour if you tell me ' this will be easy' https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...888b9a68de.jpg

Quiteria 05-10-2019 08:26 PM

If there were enough time, I'd say to tack one at the hem and one at the waist, and show the person who is arguing with you before doing the remaining eight.

rosesnsnails 05-12-2019 08:51 PM

How did it go?

KarenBoo 05-12-2019 09:05 PM

I just saw this and we had to do the same thing last year with costumes we had rented for Anything Goes. We have a top notch seamstress on our team. I mean - she is exceptionally talented! And even she could not get those skirts looking nice with hemming them. The drape and flow was definitely not right!

Mother of Sons 05-13-2019 10:46 AM

Thanks everybody! I love the sewing rates lol!

I did it at the waist. It’s the only thing that made sense. She gave me some side eye but ultimately what can she do fire me? It costs some design on the skirt but I think that is better than losing the flow when they spin. Bonus was it only took me a couple of hours versus who knows how long to wrestle with the bottom.