Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Cloth Diapering & EC *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   If you use Cloth Wipes..... (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=420116)

RealLifeMama 08-15-2011 12:29 PM

If you use Cloth Wipes.....

I decided that it is too much trouble to throw the disposable wipe away while I am sticking the rest of the diaper in the diaper pail, so I am going to cut up our old flannel receiving blankets and use them for cloth wipes.

Cloth wipe users- What kind of solution do you use? Back when I used to make my own wipe solution 8-10 years ago, I used to use water/oil/babymild liquid soap, and some lavendar/TTO. Now, I am seeing that Lavender/TTO might not be a good mix for babies. I remember reading an article a while back saying something about it, basically dismissing it, but then I was shopping for some premade solution for fun, and I saw some that said "TTO/Lavender free", as if that was a good selling point.

What do you use, and how do you store it? What is your changing routine?

RosalieMarie 08-15-2011 12:37 PM

Re: If you use Cloth Wipes.....

I just use water. I wet them as I need them.

mommylove 08-15-2011 12:38 PM

I use plain old water. :shrug3

schmamy 08-15-2011 12:40 PM

what's wrong with lavender/TTO for babies??

I used to use water, vinegar, and a little baby soap to cut the vinegar smell. I've been too lazy/too much of a procrastinator to cut up new wipes and do it this time around. which I'm kicking myself for.

jubles 08-15-2011 12:49 PM

We use a kind called Cheeky Wipes (think they're a UK brand) and you just soak them in water with a couple of drops of oil that the compant sells. Currently using a Lavender/Camomile blend, but they also have a Mandarin/TTO blend. I hadn't heard that Lavender/TTO was bad. I wouldn't put it directly on their skin, but I'm using just a couple of drops in water that soaks about 25 wipes at a time, so it's really not much.

I've also made up my own solution using water with a spoonful of baby shampoo, a spoonful of baby lotion and spoonful of baby oil. It smelt amazing and was really nice to use, but actually the water and couple of drops of oil works just as well.

I pre-soak my wipes, but you can also store them dry and spray the solution on to them just before use.

RealLifeMama 08-15-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schmamy (Post 4102414)
what's wrong with lavender/TTO for babies??

I used to use water, vinegar, and a little baby soap to cut the vinegar smell. I've been too lazy/too much of a procrastinator to cut up new wipes and do it this time around. which I'm kicking myself for.

I don't know. :shrug I was hoping someone else would know.
I honestly don't remember.

I have been using water right now, but I don't have it in anything. I am just having to use the sink, and that is a hassle.

BriansLovie 08-15-2011 12:57 PM

I store them dry and wet them when I need them, I just use water.

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

When DS2 was smaller, I had a small bottle filled with water so I didnt have to run to the sink.

Earthmummy07 08-15-2011 01:00 PM

I used chamomile tea with a drop of lavender in it. Presoaked and squeezed out the wipes, so all I had to do was grab and go

emthewife 08-15-2011 01:05 PM

I use water, and store them wet in a wipes warmer (I think it's Prince Lionheart brand?) they've never gotten smelly or mildewed.

poleidopy 08-15-2011 01:11 PM

I asked this *exact* question just a few months ago, got various answers and so now I'll add mine...:D
I keep all the dry wipes in a big, empty plastic wipes container and each morning I grab a handful, wet them and stick them in a smaller, travel-size plastic wipes container. If I run out I wet a few more. I was using the big container for awhile, but they DID get moldy/mildewy smelling really fast that way. I only used water though. :) I use some wipes that were made for me by a GCMer. one side is super soft and the other side is regular material, not so fluffy. I like the 4" square ones. ANything bigger than that was too big. (I started out with just a couple baby washcloths. WAY too big for now, but maybe when N is a toddler. :shrug )

blondie 08-15-2011 01:29 PM

I keep a little spray bottle of wipe solution, and spray the butt/wipes as needed. I really like Super Stars by PureBebe and the solution that Blissful Booty makes. :)

Iansmama 08-15-2011 02:33 PM

I was another just plain ole water :)

twentysixcats 08-15-2011 02:39 PM

I use Baby Bits in a spray bottle, and spray on her bottom when I go to clean her. I have in the past used California Baby Diaper Area Rinse, diluted with water to make it last longer.

MiriamRose 08-15-2011 03:14 PM

I just use water. :)

LikeQuietDreams 08-15-2011 03:50 PM

I think there were some studies a few years back that said that lavender and tto might be endocrine disruptors and could cause breast growth in boys... I seem to remember the studies using really excessive amounts of the oils though :shrug3

I use water most of the time and a pre-made wipe solution when out and about. I use to use a water/soap/oil solution that worked great and have also used a lot of different pre-made solutions, but we were having a lot of yeast issues, so I cut them out just to be safe.