Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   D. R. P. T. ! (dietary revamp processing thread ;) ) (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=447759)

tempus vernum 10-28-2012 10:03 AM

Re: D. R. P. T. ! (dietary revamp processing thread ;) )

My favorite gluten free chicken nugget is fools gold from Eat Like a Dinosaur :yum

Have you tried it - it uses almond flour or meal :yum It is drenched in oil, rolled in almond meal w/spices and then baked but is oily like fried chicken :yum

Now I want some :giggle

HadassahSukkot 10-28-2012 10:44 AM

Sadly I don't have that cookbook. Sounds interesting!

Mother of Sons 10-28-2012 03:12 PM

My favorite chicken nugget recipe is ground chicken that is rolled into balls, dipped in a mixture of almond flour and coconut and seasonings, flattened (gives it that typical misshapen form) and the pan Fried in coconut oil. Yum yum.

LilacPhoenix 11-03-2012 03:05 PM

(C&P'ed from my blog)
If I needed confirmation that my body does better eating less carbs (grains in particular), I certainly got it yesterday! I ate a (whole grain, lots of fat) high carb lunch, and oh man, did I pay for it! I had terrible brain fog. A stomachache. My gallbladder protested a bit (no real pain, but definite twinges). Ugh! Not doing that again :p

mommychem 11-05-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmljll (Post 4944347)
(C&P'ed from my blog)
If I needed confirmation that my body does better eating less carbs (grains in particular), I certainly got it yesterday! I ate a (whole grain, lots of fat) high carb lunch, and oh man, did I pay for it! I had terrible brain fog. A stomachache. My gallbladder protested a bit (no real pain, but definite twinges). Ugh! Not doing that again :p

Brain fog ughhhhhh! :hug

LearningMama 11-05-2012 09:08 PM

I've been meaning to come back to this thread. Sorry if I'm a Debbie Downer.
About a month or so ago we tried to do the Whole 30 again. I got so stressed with the added constraints of DH's allergies that I was getting burnt out and we we're not eating enough. I just could not think or figure out what to make. So I just threw my hands up and made spaghetti. We've , well really *I*, have fallen off the wagon (dh is just on it 'cause I'm there). We've had spaghetti, white potatoes and rice and some cookies from TJ's. I don't know what to do. On one hand I feel like we need to eat, on the other hand I have no energy to eat the way I want to and I feel guilty about it. This week DH has stepped up and on his own came up with meals for 4 days this week:heart. I really appreciate it but on the inside I'm cringing just a little. Sugar in the pulled chicken, sugar in the Udis buns, sugar in the coleslaw (it's confirmed that I don't like coleslaw, even if dh makes it), sugar in the cookies I ate afterwards. I'm not complaining though, I'm just happy for his help.

WRT brain fog, I feel like that is what is holding me back. On Paleo my brain fog was gone. But I need a relatively clear mind to plan Paleo meals. It feels like a circular problem.
/rant

mommychem 11-06-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LearningMama (Post 4948652)
About a month or so ago we tried to do the Whole 30 again. I got so stressed with the added constraints of DH's allergies that I was getting burnt out and we we're not eating enough. I just could not think or figure out what to make. So I just threw my hands up and made spaghetti. We've , well really *I*, have fallen off the wagon (dh is just on it 'cause I'm there). We've had spaghetti, white potatoes and rice and some cookies from TJ's. I don't know what to do. On one hand I feel like we need to eat, on the other hand I have no energy to eat the way I want to and I feel guilty about it. This week DH has stepped up and on his own came up with meals for 4 days this week:heart. I really appreciate it but on the inside I'm cringing just a little. Sugar in the pulled chicken, sugar in the Udis buns, sugar in the coleslaw (it's confirmed that I don't like coleslaw, even if dh makes it), sugar in the cookies I ate afterwards. I'm not complaining though, I'm just happy for his help.

WRT brain fog, I feel like that is what is holding me back. On Paleo my brain fog was gone. But I need a relatively clear mind to plan Paleo meals. It feels like a circular problem.
/rant

:hug I totally, totally, totally understand. We've been off the wagon for a while now (had spaghetti two days in a row :shifty). I'm just trying to do my best with what I have (and what I know)...it can be very discouraging however. :hugheart

simplegirl 11-06-2012 02:37 PM

Celeste :hugheart I know how I want to eat, but making it happen is an entirely different thing.

Stiina 11-07-2012 08:50 AM

You guyzzz....I called the bulk food place to ask if they had coconut or almond flour and they had both - so I asked the price. Coconut flour is downright cheap (I think??) I can't really believe it. She said it was 72 cents per 100g. And almond flour was $2.54 per 100g. :scratch I expected them both to be around the 1.50 mark.

HadassahSukkot 11-07-2012 09:20 AM

Wow. That is really inexpensive coconut flour!!

Stiina 11-07-2012 10:01 AM

I know. I'm wondering if it's somehow really crappy/bad for you/rancid or something :shifty

backtobasicsmum 11-09-2012 06:57 PM

I haven't had any issues with that coconut flour. :no Just be thankful that it's a good price, b/c almond flour adds up FAST! ;)

Stiina 11-09-2012 07:10 PM

:cheer so you've bought it before?? YAYY!!! TOtally getting some next time I'm in the city. I've Pinterest-ed some coconut flour recipies and was SO disappointed when the tiny bag of coconut flour was $12 at the HFS !!

thanks for that post :heart

backtobasicsmum 11-09-2012 07:40 PM

Yup! :yes These are my favorite coconut flour pumpkin muffins. They seriously taste like a slice of pumpkin pie.

http://comfybelly.com/2011/10/pumpki...coconut-flour/

tempus vernum 11-11-2012 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LearningMama (Post 4948652)

/rant

:hugheart We fall off the wagon fairly regularly. :hugheart WIth our crazy life, I've just not found a way to avoid falling off the diet (in the middle of show week right now and have 2 cast members and a director in the family).

However, we are still at about 75% on everything (almost every day my kids get "one meal" "one snack" "one SOMETHING" that isn't on the diet). I just don't quit and keep moving forward. "If at first you don't succeed, try try again"

It is super hard and the brain fog is tough to operate around :(

What I do is sit down and take an HOUR to do meal planning once a week - mostly fast easy meals so that I can do it on the fly. I plan super carefully with my calendar in my hand.

Here are some fast or low prep grain free meals (we do dairy AKA GAPS)
*tacos (just eliminate the shell and beans)
*spaghetti with zucchini noodles (this is a life saver - noodles in 15 minutes - 5 to spiral and 10 to sautee http://www.amazon.com/World-Cuisine-...etable+juliann)
*meatloaf (I just use tomato paste and nut meal and spices)
*roast chicken and veggies
*tomato soup w/ meat of any sort (take chicken broth and tomato sauce or paste, season with ital seasonings)

I have more but can't think of them. Will dig out my ipod and come back.