Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Gardening *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=431)
-   -   Irises help? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=523993)

Aerynne 10-16-2017 12:50 PM

Irises help?

I planted some iris bulbs last year. I definitely put the bulbs in the ground, a few inches down. Now they look like they are on top of the ground. And there's a big central part and littler bulbs branching off the main one. Assuming that they are how the irises reproduce (right?). But is it okay that the bulbs are on top of the dirt? And what should I do? I already trimmed the leaves back to almost nothing. Should I cut off the outer branching bulbs and plant them elsewhere?

Barefoot 10-16-2017 03:04 PM

Re: Irises help?

I would split it up and plant them again. Not sure if that is how it's done, but that's how I'd do it.

Soliloquy 06-29-2018 01:07 AM

I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner. It's completely normal for iris rhizomes to be visible. Did they come up and bloom this year?

It is not necessary to cut the leaves back. I have never done it and my irises have spread quite a bit and have profuse blooms.

Aerynne 06-29-2018 02:34 AM

I took them out and put some back facing the right way. The visible ones were sideways and the leaves growing sideways out of them. Looked ridiculous. They look fine now. Haven’t bloomed yet but they are growing.

Soliloquy 06-29-2018 10:10 AM

Oh, how funny! I wonder how that happened, maybe a mole disrupted them or something.

Aerynne 06-29-2018 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6147196)
Oh, how funny! I wonder how that happened, maybe a mole disrupted them or something.

All of them? I doubt it. I bet it is my landscaping fabric.

Soliloquy 06-29-2018 10:17 AM

I just re-read your post and you planted iris bulbs, not rhizomes? Are they more roundish or longish like ginger root?

If you planted iris rhizomes, the rhizomes needs to be at the surface or just barely below or you may not get flowers. Iris rhizomes are always at least partially visible.

Bulbous irises need to be planted a bit deeper.

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerynne (Post 6147197)
All of them? I doubt it. I bet it is my landscaping fabric.

Ah, yeah, that could be it.

Aerynne 06-29-2018 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6147198)
I just re-read your post and you planted iris bulbs, not rhizomes? Are they more roundish or longish like ginger root?

If you planted iris rhizomes, the rhizomes needs to be at the surface or just barely below or you may not get flowers. Iris rhizomes are always at least partially visible.

Bulbous irises need to be planted a bit deeper.

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

Ah, yeah, that could be it.

Bulbs

Soliloquy 06-29-2018 10:00 PM

Okay, nevermind then! :lol I'm used to people planting the rhizomes too deep.

I have both kinds. I love irises so much. :heart

Aerynne 06-29-2018 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6147264)
Okay, nevermind then! :lol I'm used to people planting the rhizomes too deep.

I have both kinds. I love irises so much. :heart

They are really pretty but I hope I don't have to pull mine out every year and replant them sticking up. I do end up with lots of extra bulbs, though, which I guess could be good if I wanted to plant more or give them away. For now my kids pretend they are lobsters and they try to "catch" them. Iris bulbs do make good toy lobsters. :giggle We have a book called Going Lobstering and ever since they read that they have fun pretending to catch lobsters. Even funnier if you realize I'm vegetarian. :giggle My kids aren't but they basically are because I don't buy or cook meat and I don't want it in my kitchen so they can have it if we go to grandparents' house (about once a month that comes up) or a church party.