Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Breads / Muffins *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   bread machine questions (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=349929)

Cat 03-11-2010 03:04 PM

bread machine questions

i've never used one, i don't think i've ever seen one:giggle

would it make my life easier?

are the results tasty?

i'm sick of the 5 minute bread, regular bread takes a lot of time and i have less time with baby......

jrsmama 03-11-2010 03:14 PM

Re: bread machine questions

I :heart my bread machine. I've been so bummed since it broke down on me a couple of months ago and I really need to get on craigslist to find another one:-/

trustingGod2 03-11-2010 04:00 PM

I :heart mine add ingredients set timer and it's ready for dinner

Cat 03-11-2010 05:10 PM

so really all you do is add ingredients and out pops a baked loaf? :O

DoulaClara 03-11-2010 05:16 PM

I don't know how I will do it this summer, but I've primarily used my bread machine as a place to mix and knead dough ingredients and proof, and then I just scoop out the dough and stick it in my own bread pan (and then I have to let it rise again, no biggie!) It has been so awesome. I make my own bread (usually King Arthur Flour's Oatmeal Honey Bread) and don't buy any anymore, and use it for pizza dough and really, a lot of stuff! I've only baked bread in it one time, and I was ho-hum about the results. I might try again when it's too warm to heat up the oven (it's been a good way to heat my house this winter, at least, doing it this way!)

Anyway, so all I need to do is quickly pop ingredients into the machine and turn it on (to the "dough/pasta" setting). Wander away until it beeps an hour and a half later. Pull out the dough, roll and pat it into a buttered bread pan, and set it on the oven top. Pre-heat oven, and pop it in and bake it! It only takes me about 5 minutes to measure ingredients into the machine, maybe another 5 later to get it into a pan and deal with the machine and heat the oven... and then moments to pop it into and pull it out of the oven, later.

Cat 03-12-2010 08:19 AM

okay that sounds great! i've always made my own bread and pizza dough, and this sounds like it's worth the investment because it'll save a lot of time. so they can make pasta too??????

DoulaClara 03-12-2010 11:22 AM

:yes

Cat 03-12-2010 11:42 AM

so what kind should i get? if we have the space in our new apt, it'll still need to be compact.......

do you need special expensive ingredients or are they the same as regular bread?

jrsmama 03-12-2010 03:22 PM

I just used the regular everything...nothing special.

TuneMyHeart 03-12-2010 03:29 PM

I have a zojirushi bread machine. It's awesome. It has a 45 minute dough cycle that I use almost exclusively because we prefer bread baked in the regular oven. I use it to mix the dough, take it out and put it in loaf pans, let it rise, then bake it in the oven. I use it for pizza dough too. The zojirushi has two paddles, so it can handle fresh flour (I grind my own grain). Most bread machines can't handle fresh grain.

Tuesdayschild 03-12-2010 03:53 PM

We live nowhere near a bakery and any shop is a car ride away, so I'm v grateful for mine.

I mix about 2/3 wholemeal flour and 1/3 white and get great results :shrug3 I'm not adventurous with it.

Cat 03-12-2010 05:48 PM

thanks mamas! :heart i can't wait to get one and try it out!

jrsmama 03-13-2010 12:33 PM

I'll share with you my go to recipes for white bread and semi-whole wheat bread.

Whole wheat bread (I got this from a mama on this site, but I can't find it...it was so long ago). I've adjusted it a little and usually do half ww flour and half white flour:
Add the following ingredients to your breadmaker in the following order-
1 1/2 C + 2 Tbs water
2 Tbs oil or applesauce (I use EVOO)
2 tsp salt
1/3 C brown sugar
4 1/4 C WW flour
3 Tbs dry milk (I've never actually used this because I rarely have it)
2 tsp yeast

Run on the wheat bread cycle

White Bread (again, add in the following order):
1 C warm water
2 Tbs sugar or honey
2 tsp yeast
Let sit 10 min
Add 1/4 C oil (I usually use olive)
3 C white flour
1 tsp salt

:heartEnjoy!:heart

Mama Rophe 03-13-2010 12:37 PM

I'd love to hear how you do pasta with it. That would be a wonderful addition to my recipies for my bread maker.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CBK-.../dp/B0009VELTQ

That's the one I have and I LOVE it. I can make 1lb, 1.5lb or 2 lb loaves. It has a variety of cycles and the recipie book that comes with it has gluten free bread recipies.

April G 03-13-2010 12:41 PM

We make this bread in our machine 2 or 3 times a week. :yum You can easily replace the agave nectar with honey, and the coconut milk powder with skim milk powder... Also, use 4 cups of regular flour with 4 t of wheat gluten instead of the bread machine flour if you prefer... For the seeds you can add more or less or even replace with other kinds... it's a very versatile flexible recipe.