Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=402)
-   -   In case you missed this in driver’s ed (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=527903)

Virginia 12-28-2019 07:02 AM

In case you missed this in driver’s ed

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...50f5f9b48f.jpg

This is going viral on my social media right now: “In case you missed this in driver’s ed” or something similar is the caption.

I was NOT taught to turn like this! Were you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BestLaidPlans 12-28-2019 07:46 AM

Re: In case you missed this in driver’s ed

Yes, I was taught to turn like this.

domesticzookeeper 12-28-2019 07:52 AM

I wasn't taught that in driver's ed (because I don't think any of our rural roads had that traffic pattern :giggle) but I think most of turns I've taken like that do have the white road stripes that direct you toward the "correct" traffic pattern in that infographic (think solid white lines in front of both cars indicating at which side you needed to stop). I'd never really thought about it before :think

knitlove 12-28-2019 08:29 AM

Yep this is what I was learned.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Elibellamiah 12-28-2019 08:58 AM

That makes no sense. Are the roads going both directions on both sides? I've only ever seen turns like that if the road is split (so the center part is dividing the road and each side is only going one direction). It would cause a crash to turn the 2nd way and would go outside the lines.

Virginia 12-28-2019 09:01 AM

No one here turns like that. I am picturing head on collisions if I tried it...!

MudPies 12-28-2019 09:13 AM

Yes, that is correct. That is how everyone here does it and we have a ton of divided highways.

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elibellamiah (Post 6199072)
That makes no sense. Are the roads going both directions on both sides? I've only ever seen turns like that if the road is split (so the center part is dividing the road and each side is only going one direction). It would cause a crash to turn the 2nd way and would go outside the lines.

Its a divided road. One way on each side

Elibellamiah 12-28-2019 09:18 AM

I just asked my husband about it. I think I've just never seen it. He says it's because the divided highways around here don't allow both directions to turn at the same location. If that makes sense.

MudPies 12-28-2019 09:28 AM

Ahh. I see. We have so many roads that cross divided highways, of course you need to stay on the right, as that is the side for your lane. Imagine if you were crossing a divided highway. You would stay to the right.

teamommy 12-28-2019 10:18 AM

Yes, but what confused me at first was that it looks like both sides making u turns at the same time, which doesn’t usually happen.
If you think about it like they are each turning left into traffic from a cross street, yes, that is the way you would do it. You stay in your lane, which is on your right.

Virginia 12-28-2019 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teamommy (Post 6199083)
Yes, but what confused me at first was that it looks like both sides making u turns at the same time, which doesn’t usually happen.
If you think about it like they are each turning left into traffic from a cross street, yes, that is the way you would do it. You stay in your lane, which is on your right.

There are no lanes in the picture though.

I am specifically thinking of a turn like this when I leave my neighborhood to take DD to school. There are two lanes on each side of a median. The other car who is turning left from straight across from me always takes the “inside” lane :scratch We never cross and then turn on the outside of each other.

Are we just crazy? DH agreed with me, too.

---------- Post added at 12:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 PM ----------

Oh! Just found this:

https://yourfamilyfinances.com/2018/...from-facebook/

Maedchen 12-28-2019 10:32 AM

I was taught to make turns like this when I learned back in the 70s. The SC driving manual said to look at it as a 2 laned street............in the US, you always take the right hand lane. The turn has 2 lanes and if you are turning left or making a U turn, you still need to be the right hand side of the cut away.

This way you can both see the oncoming traffic without blocking the other person's view or their oncoming traffic.

It drives me crazy here in our little town in AL.......... NO ONE seems to understand this driving rule. They block your view by taking your lane then neither of you can make a safe turn because you can't see if there is any oncoming traffic.

We have 2 intersections very close to my house. They are perfectly good roads, but nearly every day there is an accident at one or both of these lights because no one knows how to make a left hand turn without a turn light. They just cut in front of the traffic that is oncoming...........it drives me crazy.

I often wonder if they even address how to make turns in any situation in driver's ed.

WanderingJuniper 12-28-2019 11:55 AM

I don’t understand what I’m looking at. Where are the cars in the middle trying to go? U turn?

tempus vernum 12-28-2019 11:56 AM

That’s illegal here and we double checked when our kids took drivers ed. I was glad for your next link.

JoannaV 12-28-2019 12:24 PM

UK: section 181 at https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/road-junctions.html (remembering that US left turn is equivalent to UK right turn).
Main thing: "Road layout, markings or how the other vehicle is positioned can determine which course should be taken."