Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=402)
-   -   Let's talk about what car to buy. ETA: SUV vs minivan? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=527982)

kiloyd 01-14-2020 07:48 PM

Let's talk about what car to buy. ETA: SUV vs minivan?

It's time to at least do some searching about a new or new to me car.

I have a 2007 Odyssey with 158,000 miles. It's doing okay but had about a $250 repair in December. A couple other things that were $300ish over the past year or two. The receptionist at our mechanic's agreed with dh that it's time to start thinking about it.

I really wanted to keep it 2 more years then I probably won't need a van. Not that I don't like my van.

If I got something now, I'd most likely get another Oydssey, either new or a few years old.

I could look at a smaller SUV too. need to compare prices and gas mileage.

Right now I pick up my 2 dd's and a friend from school plus have my 7 yr old and baby I watch. I need all the room!

I've thought maybe Honda Pilot or Chevy Traverse. My parent's have a Chevy Equinox and that is too small for me right now.

Auto receptionist did say to check on where the battery is and where the wheel locks are (are they with the car if it's used?) and to lay hands on the spare tire. Said some cars don't come with a spare tire, just a can of run flat.

---------- Post added at 02:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 AM ----------

Looking on Kelley Blue Book, Odyssey and Pilot are about the same price.

I was thinking we wait until December and get me something and give the van to dd1. But I do take a trip from SC to VA and MD in the summer.

knitlove 01-14-2020 08:06 PM

Re: Let's talk about what car to buy.

I really really like my Ford Transit connect. It does come up when looking for pasenger cars some.times because no it is also a cargo van. I love it. It doesn't haveall the bells and whistles that the odecy does.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Sweet Life 01-14-2020 08:43 PM

JMO but those sound like reasonable preventive maintenance and repair costs and Odysseys are generally really great vehicles. I don't agree with your mechanic's receptionists assessment. :shrug3 Going to a 4WD like Pilot actually will cost you more in maintenance and gas costs. 4WDS suck the dollars in maintenance and tires!!! Why pay more for a newer Odyssey if yours is reasonably sufficient? We have a Pilot and have had 3 Odysseys. Honestly it doesn't sound like a lemon and mini vans are awesome for toting kids and random things around even if not routine. I'd keep it for 2 years and revisit then. My two cents!

FlyingBlueKiwi 01-14-2020 09:15 PM

We had a 2003 Odyssey that got regular maintenance every 3,500 miles and per manufacturer schedule but still unexpectedly died out of nowhere at about 164,000. Apparently it's not that unusual for that generation of Odysseys, but I'm not sure if 2007 is the same generation.

sweetpeasmommy 01-14-2020 09:40 PM

Let's talk about what car to buy.

I would get a Toyota if you can. Mine didn’t need a single thing other than tires, oil changes, wipers, and a belt or two until it hit 200k. This seems to be pretty common from talking to other Toyota owners.

Those do seem like reasonable repair costs to me for something with that mileage. Unless the mechanic specifically told you to expect expensive repairs soon, I would lean towards trying to get another couple of years out of it depending on how many miles you put on a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aerynne 01-14-2020 09:53 PM

That doesn’t sound terrible. We had to put 3k into our Odyssey a year ago. I don’t know that you need to replace it.

lavenlove 01-15-2020 03:30 AM

I agree, those repair costs sound reasonable for that age/mileage. But if you want to replace it, or additional/more expensive repairs start coming up, I love my 2016 Odyssey. I test drove (in 2016) a brand new Odyssey, Pilot, and Toyota Highlander and Sienna. Odyssey was my preference by far, but I had been driving an Accord, so it was most similar. Vans usually give the best passenger room while still having reasonable cargo room. My SIL has a new VW Atlas and I think she loves it; apparently it still has good cargo room even when the third row seats are up. Gas mileage always suffers in around town driving, which is most of what I do.

2sunshines 01-15-2020 06:29 AM

Yea, I'd not even be thinking about a new vehicle with yours and the mileage. Your costs are pretty inexpensive for maintenance of a vehicle. Honda's typically will run for MANY more miles. Obviously, it's not a guarantee.

One thing to DEFINITELY look at though is whether or not the timing belt has been replaced. I forget what mileage that is needed but that is a VITAL maintenance task on the odysees. We learned that when our timing belt broke and in the process ruined the whole engine. It is recommended to be replaced every 100k miles, so it's possible you're on your 2nd, but if not, then definitely look in to getting that replaced.

Virginia 01-15-2020 07:11 AM

Agree with much of the above (I type as I sit in my 2003 Toyota Corolla that I pay lots for repairs on but still less than buying a new car). I would try to get some more mileage and use from it, personally.

But I also totally understand the frustration of constantly paying for repairs and wanting a newer car... completely and totally get it. Because I think that every time I take my car to the shop and there is something ELSE wrong with it. Or every time I get into my husband’s 2015 Honda Accord that like actually as seat warmers and a touch screen ;)

FlyingBlueKiwi 01-15-2020 10:39 AM

One positive in going 2016 or newer is that safety features have totally been revamped. Many features that prevent collision are standard on 2016 and newer.

I'm a pretty safe driver, but really lived the blind spot sensors, lane shift indicator, and standard backup camera when I drove a rental recently, as blind spots and backing up make me nervous.

lavenlove 01-15-2020 06:12 PM

Safety features are a huge plus on newer vehicles in my opinion. That doesn’t have to be a deciding factor on when you get a new car, but might contribute to deciding what model year you get. I greatly benefit from the backup camera on my Odyssey. I don’t have every safety feature that would be available in a 2019-2020 vehicle, but I do use the backup camera and mine also has a camera on the right hand mirror as well. I turned off the lane departure warning as it is really touchy tho [emoji51][emoji23]

Virginia 01-15-2020 06:30 PM

Am I the odd one out who doesn’t like the safety features? :shifty I CANNOT parallel park DH’s car— I have to use the mirrors instead of the camera lol. I am a weirdo.

kiloyd 01-15-2020 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sunshines (Post 6201299)
Yea, I'd not even be thinking about a new vehicle with yours and the mileage. Your costs are pretty inexpensive for maintenance of a vehicle. Honda's typically will run for MANY more miles. Obviously, it's not a guarantee.

One thing to DEFINITELY look at though is whether or not the timing belt has been replaced. I forget what mileage that is needed but that is a VITAL maintenance task on the odysees. We learned that when our timing belt broke and in the process ruined the whole engine. It is recommended to be replaced every 100k miles, so it's possible you're on your 2nd, but if not, then definitely look in to getting that replaced.

Did that just over 100,000miles. Glad a friend told me or we would have never known to do it!

---------- Post added at 01:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginia (Post 6201384)
Am I the odd one out who doesn’t like the safety features? :shifty I CANNOT parallel park DH’s car— I have to use the mirrors instead of the camera lol. I am a weirdo.

I can't parallel park anyway. :haha

Virginia 01-15-2020 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiloyd (Post 6201389)
Did that just over 100,000miles. Glad a friend told me or we would have never known to do it!

---------- Post added at 01:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 AM ----------

I can't parallel park anyway. :haha

:giggle

I couldn’t until I moved to the city I live in, and now it is necessity ;)

sweetpeasmommy 01-15-2020 06:46 PM

I can parallel park a car just fine. Parallel parking a van is impossible.