Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Need ideas for company dinner (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=527841)

esperanza 12-02-2019 07:24 PM

Need ideas for company dinner

We are having some friends over for dinner this weekend. One adult and one child are vegetarian. The other adult likes meat and can only eat it out of the house. Dh can't do dairy and also loves meat. He sometimes has gas with beans, and he can do queso fresco. When we go to their house, they usually do individual pizzas. I have done build your own burritos, which I may do again. I was also thinking of pasta, but that isn't very exciting. Basically pasta with sauce and optional meatballs. Thought about nachos but that doesn't work well for dh. Bonus points if it is something I can prep ahead of time. Doesn't need to be fancy. Good friends, casual dinner. Any ideas? I like the build your own style because people can make what they want. I have never done a baked potato bar. I like that, but not sure that is enough for the two men who like to eat big meals.

MegMarch 12-02-2019 07:29 PM

Re: Need ideas for company dinner

For baked potatoes, you can add pulled pork/chicken/jackfruit or chili.

esperanza 12-02-2019 07:52 PM

Yes, I was thinking of adding some meat for the potatoes. But no idea if that is enough? And maybe not so good for dh since he can't put cheese or sour cream. What is jackfruit???

MudPies 12-02-2019 08:12 PM

When I potato bar I also do salad bar. Many of the toppings overlap.

Aerynne 12-02-2019 08:44 PM

A few different sauces would make pasta more exciting- then people can choose. Like marinara and Alfredo and then you could have ground beef for people to add.

I like build your own stuff, too.

mummy2boys 12-02-2019 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerynne (Post 6197469)
A few different sauces would make pasta more exciting- then people can choose. Like marinara and Alfredo and then you could have ground beef for people to add.

This is what I was going to suggest as well :D

knitlove 12-02-2019 10:43 PM

You could do curry again where you add in meat.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

rjy9343 12-02-2019 11:24 PM

What about soup to go with the potatoes? If it's not too much work, you could make one that's more of a beef stew type soup and another that's a vegetable soup so that you cover all your bases. Or a build your own sandwich and soup or salad.

Mother of Sons 12-03-2019 07:25 AM

I would do fajitas. You can have chicken and beef for the meat eaters along with vegetables and mushrooms. Fajitas don’t usually have dairy. If the vegetarians eat seafood you could add shrimp. It’s also easy to cook a day ahead and reheat.

RiverRock 12-03-2019 12:00 PM

I might do meat free chili on rice (if your dh can handle a few beans) or curry on rice with some curry set aside before simmering beef cubes. I would make dahl (spiced lentils) to go along with a curry. :yum

I do like the idea or soup and build-your-own sandwiches...but my brain is stumped on what kind of meat, bean, and dairy free soup would be filling. Veggie noodle?

Another option is a couple of frittadas. One can have meat and dairy alternative and the other can have dairy and be meat free.

Thinking of eggs...what about breakfast for dinner? Pancakes, eggs, ham, fruit plate, hash browns...

Soliloquy 12-03-2019 03:06 PM

When I've had veggie and omnivore people at the same time, I do a build your own bar, too. Usually burritos. One time I did chili and cornbread. I just divided the chili in half and added meat to one pot.

esperanza 12-03-2019 04:44 PM

Thank you all! I am scared to do curry since my friend is Indian and will surely know how to make a better curry than me. Ha! Her she said she likes pasta with white sauce since apparently she doesn't eat tomatoes. I decided on pasta with red sauce, white sauce, and optional meatballs. But now I have more ideas for next time!!

Maedchen 12-04-2019 12:52 AM

I'm glad your dinner turned out well.

You could do burgers and falafels ? Make spicery burgers with the same spices for the meat eaters. ( https://youtu.be/UMGbDz-Vgxw)

RiverRock 12-04-2019 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esperanza (Post 6197512)
Thank you all! I am scared to do curry since my friend is Indian and will surely know how to make a better curry than me. Ha! Her she said she likes pasta with white sauce since apparently she doesn't eat tomatoes. I decided on pasta with red sauce, white sauce, and optional meatballs. But now I have more ideas for next time!!

I have a close Indian friend whose grandmother makes butter chicken sauce from a jar. The consensus in her family is that the jarred sauce is the best. ;) :shrug3 :giggle