Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   GD Info and FAQs *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=526)
-   -   The Five Steps (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=114166)

mothemama 01-14-2007 06:16 AM

Re: The Five Steps

I had never heard of this! I am going to try it with my 2 and 4 yo dd today! What do you do when you have more than one who needs a bear hug at the same time?? I'm strong but :shrug

ArmsOfLove 01-14-2007 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mothemama
I had never heard of this! I am going to try it with my 2 and 4 yo dd today! What do you do when you have more than one who needs a bear hug at the same time?? I'm strong but :shrug

well the Bear Hug really only is needed if the child is melting down and becoming violent. Most things should be resolved at the helping stage. If two children do melt down together I pull them in the best I can. I've been known to bear hug one child with my arms and another with my legs :)

TwinMommy03 03-02-2007 10:39 PM

What do you do when they WANT you to 'help" them do EVERYTHING, to the point of enabling them? My ds would totally "let me" do everything for him. Even when he is physically capable. :shrug

godsgracegiven 03-02-2007 11:04 PM

:popcorn dd can do the same.

red_head_angel 04-28-2007 04:49 PM

my 3 year old is in the same 'stage' right now. :shrug Luckily my 5 yr old grew out of it.

NewLeaf 04-30-2009 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinMommy03
What do you do when they WANT you to 'help" them do EVERYTHING, to the point of enabling them? My ds would totally "let me" do everything for him. Even when he is physically capable. :shrug

:popcorn
Dd does this too.

ReedleBeetle 04-30-2009 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewLeaf
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinMommy03

:popcorn
Dd does this too.

One thing I ahve done is to help with everything *before* they ask. "Here...let momma do that! Here....Momma needs to do XXXX" In a couple days he is all about "NO! Ikey do it byself!" Sometimes we do playful things, "You can put your socks on." "Oh, you don't want to? Well...let's BOUNCE really HIIIIIIGH! Ok...now put your sock on. We will bounce really high again after your sock is on." then we keep alternating him doing something and bouncing high. Also, doing trades, "I will help you with that, then you help mommy with _______." They love to feel like they are helping. It just depends on *what* they aren't doing. 3 year olds still need a *lot* of help even whent hey can do it by themsleves sometimes. It is hard to remember they can't do it by themsleves *all* the time.

NovelMama 04-30-2009 01:10 PM

AJ went through a phase like that. But it was just a phase--like most things with kids are--and eventually it passes, especially since they are usually eager to be self-sufficient and show how much they can do. I started 5 stepping A when she was 12 months, and I think the helping-with-everything phase came between 15-18 months and lasted less than a month. I saw it as a test--did I mean what I said when I told her I'd help? Would I really help or would I just try to cajole her to do it herself?

I know I go through phases of wanting someone to help me with everything--I just can't admit it because I'm an adult. :cool

It'll pass, don't worry!

Heather Micaela 07-08-2009 10:53 PM

is there a reson this is not stikied?

flowermama 07-08-2009 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heather Micaela (Post 2433144)
is there a reson this is not stikied?

I don't think there's a deep reason. :think I'm guessing maybe I figured that since it's the GD Info and FAQs forum, it wasn't necessary for it to be stickied. ? I kinda look at this forum as one big sticky. :-)

Most of the threads stickied in this forum are threads which contain combined past posts about topics, also the links thread is stickied, the thread about GD books, the statement about TCS and a couple others. :think

They are all great threads, though. :tu

Yuliana 07-09-2009 01:56 AM

I found them in spanish this week :giggle

http://familialibre.com/blog/articul...a-en-la-gracia

Heather Micaela 07-09-2009 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yuliana (Post 2433219)
I found them in spanish this week :giggle

http://familialibre.com/blog/articul...a-en-la-gracia

:rockon

And I see it was translated with permission. I wonder by whom?

filmgirl2911 01-23-2010 08:08 PM

:cup - wanted to sub to this because I've read several references to the five steps and wanted to know what it was / how to put it into practice

aaronsrib 01-24-2010 01:53 AM

I have read something very similar to this in How to Really Parent Your Child by Ross Campbell. I do really like his book. But like everything I have done up till now I never stick with anything for long. I usually am just trying to find a solution for yesterdays dilemma and in 6mos I've forgotten all about it. Odd though that here I am and this is being recomended to me again! I really did like the outcome though when using them as steps.

For real life application questions though...Has the 5 steps proven more successful for you only with younger children? How would you incorporate it with a 6 and 7yo? For ex. 6 & 7yo playing in room, you pop in ask them to get ready for bed, minutes later they are still giggling and clearly playing, pop in and tell them to get pajamas on and such, minutes later ask if they need help getting ready? And then what? What if they don't comply but there is no need for a 'bear hug'? :shrug3

Books with tea 01-26-2010 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaronsrib (Post 2850667)

How would you incorporate it with a 6 and 7yo?

I was also wondering the same thing, Only my dd is 11 yo. Is it possible to do this at this age? Or some modified version?:shrug3

Thanks, ~Tea~