Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Hobbies and Crafts *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=432)
-   -   Husqvarna Viking Sewing Machines (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=523057)

AngelaVA 06-11-2017 12:50 PM

Husqvarna Viking Sewing Machines

I have a 12 year old Euro-Pro Shark Sewing Machine that has given me endless frustration. What should be a 30 minute sewing project takes hours because of constant fussing with the machine.

I am thinking of replacing it and was looking at Singer Machines at Joanne's today (they have a sale going on...well they almost always have some kind of sale on something I guess :giggle). Anyway there was a sales rep there from another company Husqvarna Viking and she was showing me their machines and telling me about how they will show me how to use the machine and provide service there if I have issues ect. I am really far from an expert seamstress and that sounds really appealing, but then again, their machines are more costly, almost twice as much as the Singer I was looking at. But would it be worth it to have someplace I can take it when I am having trouble or have questions? Any experiences or opinions?

Mother of Sons 06-11-2017 01:49 PM

Re: Husqvarna Viking Sewing Machines

I've had a husky for around 15 years. It's been a really good machine. I don't think I've even ever had to have it serviced.

RooMama 06-11-2017 07:13 PM

From what I've heard, Singers are not well made anymore. I have a Janome and like it a lot.

knitlove 06-16-2017 06:15 PM

Husqvarna are really good machines. If you do a lot if sewing it would be worth it over the singers.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

AngelaVA 06-17-2017 04:11 AM

I currently don't do a lot because my machine is so frustrating. I feel like I would do more I have a ton of projects I want to try, but it's hard to know for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lady Grey 06-17-2017 08:27 AM

That's what my mom has, as she sews/quilts a lot. In her opinion, Brother currently performs better than Singer in the low cost category. If you want to invest in a higher quality machine, then HV, Janome and Babylock are good. (There are others too, just can't remember them all right now.) I like the option of a local store for repairs/support. (Shipping a sewing machine off for repairs does not appeal to me, though I know people do it.)

I bought a low cost Brother last year and so far it has been great. I would like to invest in something nicer, but at the time I didn't have enough sewing experience to know what features were important to me. My mom's HV is at least 20 years old and starting to wear down. I think she is looking at Babylock for her next machine. (She still likes HV's, but Babylock is the popular machine in her quilt guild I think.)

Amythestmama 06-18-2017 05:45 AM

I love my husqvarna Viking machines!

greengirl19 06-18-2017 08:12 AM

Husqvarna machines are well made. Newer singers not so much (more plastic parts). I'll be inheriting an H to replace my (OLD, very reliable but the motor's dying and they don't make anything to replace it) Singer. But it's an investment if it's something you're going to be using regularly (or will be in the future!)

AngelaVA 08-17-2017 05:10 AM

Just an update in case anyone wonders. I just wasn't sure I would sew enough to justify the cost and then I found a really good deal on a Singer on Prime Day so I got that. I haven't had a ton of time to use it since it was just before vacation and then school starting but it is worlds better than my old machine at least!

Soliloquy 08-17-2017 01:25 PM

My eldest has a Singer and she really loves it. I also got a great deal on Amazon. I'm sure she'd love a fancier machine some day but the Singer has been great for her.

ECingMama 08-18-2017 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelaVA (Post 6101341)
Just an update in case anyone wonders. I just wasn't sure I would sew enough to justify the cost and then I found a really good deal on a Singer on Prime Day so I got that. I haven't had a ton of time to use it since it was just before vacation and then school starting but it is worlds better than my old machine at least!

which one did you get?

I will be looking on black fridday

AngelaVA 08-19-2017 04:12 AM

I got this one SINGER 7258 100-Stitch Computerized Sewing Machine with DVD, 10 Presser Feet and Metal Frame https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003KK807M..._MKy1Eg5xyHl4f

It was $106 on prime day, which I see it's $160 now but it looked like the retail price was about $280 when I was initially researching it to idk, things like that can be misleading.

ECingMama 08-19-2017 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelaVA (Post 6101708)
I got this one SINGER 7258 100-Stitch Computerized Sewing Machine with DVD, 10 Presser Feet and Metal Frame https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003KK807M..._MKy1Eg5xyHl4f

It was $106 on prime day, which I see it's $160 now but it looked like the retail price was about $280 when I was initially researching it to idk, things like that can be misleading.

Thanks!

Yeah, it's frustrating how the prices change. I try to remember to check camel camel camel for amazon prices.

Lady Grey 08-19-2017 12:15 PM

That one looks really nice!

ECingMama - last year during Black Friday "week" Amazon had a different machine on special each day. I remember that they had the Singer that AngelaVA bought and the Brother CS 6000i that I got, and I think one of the Singer heavy duty models another day. (I can't remember the others)

Soliloquy 08-19-2017 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelaVA (Post 6101708)

I'm almost positive that's the machine I bought my daughter. It's been great. :yes I bought it during cyber week and paid around $100ish.