Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Selling something you're *supposed* to keep forever (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=448501)

Marrae 05-08-2012 02:02 PM

Re: Selling something you're *supposed* to keep forever

Quote:

I think I'm ready to let it go. I think.
:hug I hope it sells well and you feel peace about it. :bag Mine is still wrapped in paper, in a box and it is our 26th anniversary next week. I *think* I have used it once. :bag

Aisling 05-08-2012 02:13 PM

Truly, I can't think of anything more horrific than someone saying, "Here, have something breakable you don't care about, but you SHOULD care about, and keep it through moves and children and reorganizing for years and years without shattering it. Cheers!!"

:shiver :shiver :shiver

Marrae 05-08-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Truly, I can't think of anything more horrific than someone saying, "Here, have something breakable you don't care about, but you SHOULD care about, and keep it through moves and children and reorganizing for years and years without shattering it. Cheers!!"
:haha In my case, I asked for it. I truly liked and still like it but it just doesn't 'fit' with me any more. I'm sorry that you don't like china, Aisling. :( I was going to sent it over for Christmas. J/K :giggle

ReadingMommy 05-08-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marrae (Post 4618976)
:haha In my case, I asked for it. I truly liked and still like it but it just doesn't 'fit' with me any more. I'm sorry that you don't like china, Aisling. :( I was going to sent it over for Christmas. J/K :giggle

This is me too, exactly!:yes

RiverRock 05-08-2012 02:39 PM

I use mine often enough that it has prime cupboard space in the kitchen. I put it in the dishwasher. It coordinates with our everyday Mikasa and cheapo Ikea stacks when we have a big crowd over. I'm not attached to the pattern (white with gold trim), but it is just on the fancy side of practical. I'm glad we were given so much china as wedding gifts because I don't think I would ever buy this much on my own.

Jillie 05-08-2012 02:45 PM

I really want to sell mine, too. My mother-in-law convinced me to register for it, even though I didn't really want to. We have moved several times since we got married, and I'm so tired of lugging it around and having it take up storage space. Especially since we've never used it. And I kinda don't even care for the design anymore.

Wonder Woman 05-08-2012 02:58 PM

I managed to upset everyone from the proper side of my FOO by registering for Pfalztgraff. :shrug Apparently stoneware dishes with pretty pink and blue flowers weren't fancy enough, and it was horrid that I had picked something that had 4 place settings for $100 :giggle

But I know me - I like to USE pretty things, and I also knew there was no way I'd be attached enough to any object to keep it forever (my husband and son are the only items I plan to keep that long :lol)

I kept it and used it until I was sick of it, so maybe 7 years? Then I gave it to my MIL :shifty

I have pretty Corelle right now, that I got with the proceeds of one of my first ever web design jobs. Eventually in another year or so, I'll get some other pretty Corelle.

I don't believe in letting things own you - I love pretty things, I use pretty things, but having THINGS hanging around my neck that I feel I must keep/use a certain way/let those things dictate my behavior...that makes me :shiver

Why yes, I *do* have a strong opinion about this :giggle

ReadingMommy 05-08-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonder Woman (Post 4619037)
I managed to upset everyone from the proper side of my FOO by registering for Pfalztgraff. :shrug Apparently stoneware dishes with pretty pink and blue flowers weren't fancy enough, and it was horrid that I had picked something that had 4 place settings for $100 :giggle

This is what I wish I would have done...register for something I would use everyday. At the time, I figured I would register for the china because it would be harder to buy that for myself. But I just didn't have a good concept back then of how our lives would *actually* work and I didn't know myself as well then. I actually could write *pages* about what I would do differently *now* from what I chose during that time period in my life!:yes (At least I still like the guy I picked;))

Auroras mom 05-08-2012 05:05 PM

I have my mom's silver from her wedding to my dad and ancient crystal and various serving pieces. I never use them, but have held on to them for sentimental reasons. But I may just sell them.

Stacy 05-08-2012 05:33 PM

I'm almost completely unsentimental about most things. :lol Take the money and run, hun. Sell it, sell it, sell it! :D

Andrea 05-08-2012 07:13 PM

Sorry to be the odd man out, but I don't think I'd sell it. If fancy dinners with china are a part of your fantasy self/fantasy life, then why not let it be a motivator to start becoming that fantasy person?

I understand being on a clean-out kick (I'm in one too - I'm calling it "Organize 2012"), but it's also a good point for re-evaluating your life. Are you really living the life that you want to live, or are cleaning out the house just to fit the aspects of the life you have right now, whether you're loving all of it or not? I like fancy stuff and special experiences, so I'm making it a point to use my china. I use it once a week for Shabbat, but you don't have to use it that frequently. If you like a fancy dinner, then make it a goal to have one nice "these-are-our-fancy-manners-and-this-is-how-we-use-them" dinner a month. My kids are roughly the same age as yours, and our weekly china & crystal dinners turn out fine. And if something breaks, it breaks. My china pattern is called "Eternal" for a reason. :lol

RubySlippers 05-08-2012 08:31 PM

We inherited china and don't use it. It's somewhere in the attic packed in paper.
It's hard to let go. :hug2