Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=402)
-   -   How do you break the habit... (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=527406)

Beth1231 07-22-2019 09:33 AM

How do you break the habit...

Of sitting down with your phone inbetween doing things?
School and work start soon again and I keep wasting time. So much time. :crazy2

Also, if you don’t have your phone in your pocket,how do you walk around and do things without drifting over to your phone to check a thing or two or three?

I already have texting notifications silent except my husband. FB notifications are silent. I would just rather be on my phone than clean or do grownup stuff.
:help

MaySunflowers 07-22-2019 09:45 AM

Re: How do you break the habit...

Use it as a reward for doing something else first.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

esperanza 07-22-2019 09:55 AM

I almost started a similar thread recently! I was recently on vacation and didn't feel so tethered to my phone. It was so nice. I wish there was some way to have important notifications come through but not everything. Dh gets mad if I don't answer his call or message, but I also hate having the volume up all the time because of all the unimportant notifications. How do you have only certain notifications make a noise?
I did hear about something on the iPhone where you can have certain apps turn off at a certain time. I have an android though.
I'm here for all the good ideas!

MaySunflowers 07-22-2019 10:11 AM

You can log out of your apps when you don't want to hear them. I don't know about other phones but on mine I can mute people.

Hermana Linda 07-22-2019 10:17 AM

You can set the notification sound to a very quiet sound or even silent. If you don't have a silent sound, find one or record one.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

MaySunflowers 07-22-2019 10:19 AM

I have this setting too that can be turned on. Some stuff literally is not in the menu and I need to do a search on my phone.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...0334569317.jpg

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

Even just turning off wifi and data may help some.

Mother of Sons 07-22-2019 10:29 AM

I muted notifications on unimportant things. Recently even email because even though I knew it was probably not important I felt compelled to check.

I don’t care how much I’m on my phone as long as I get things done so I have strategies to get things done rather than not be on my phone.

Music helps me and so do pod casts. It’s like it shuts off my brains curiosity. I also set timers for how long I need to work on something before going to the next thing and I keep them fairly short. I use a bullet journal and after writing out my to do list I pick the 3 most important things and write them in a different box. Stuff like that.

The Tickle Momster 07-22-2019 10:50 AM

You should have a do not disturb setting. I use it at night. It allows me to choose who's sounds come through. I have selected important family members and ONLY their tones make sound when this is turned on.

Also, i have different notification tones for special people so I know if I want/need to pick up the phone & check.

Ftr, I'm avoiding housework & on my phone right now. You are not alone.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

Virginia 07-22-2019 11:03 AM

I can’t.

I have to put it in another room.

My work emails come to my phone, and if I have ANY red notifications I HAVE to get rid of them (thanks, Type A personality).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ValiantJoy07 07-22-2019 11:13 AM

I usually have a list of stuff I need to get done before I can sit down again.

I am also still nursing my 1 year old quite often and pretty much if I make eye contact he's begging to be held and nursed. If I have a lot to do I try to get it done fast before he realizes he needs milkies.I

I also keep my kindle paperwhite handy and have it loaded with books, so I often end up reading instead of interneting which is more recharging and gives my brain more of an escape.

Aerynne 07-22-2019 11:30 AM

I don't do much with my phone but I do have an ipad I check several times a day (I don't want to know how many). I have to lie down a lot so then I reach for it. I don't really know how not to.

2sunshines 07-22-2019 01:02 PM

I keep my phone on silent and keep it away from me. Then I only check it when I'm allowing myself to spend some time on it. Setting up boundaries (time frames, only after "x", etc) helps.

esperanza 07-22-2019 01:36 PM

The hard thing for me is that so many people expect that you will respond right away. If you have a smart phone, you must be on it and you must answer the text or phone call immediately. I want to just throw it and not look at it for a few hours, but then I know that there will be some urgent message that I didn't respond to. Ugh. I need to look into having the phone only sound for certain numbers.

Virginia 07-22-2019 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esperanza (Post 6186903)
The hard thing for me is that so many people expect that you will respond right away. If you have a smart phone, you must be on it and you must answer the text or phone call immediately. I want to just throw it and not look at it for a few hours, but then I know that there will be some urgent message that I didn't respond to. Ugh. I need to look into having the phone only sound for certain numbers.

Yup— this happens to me with my writing job frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heartofjoy 07-22-2019 02:49 PM

I have a digital wellbeing app on my phone that will let me set limits on apps, like facebook and tapatalk, so that I am not doing that all day. They will turn off completely.

Also, go to the app and just turn off notifications for facebook. Do you really need these? It's easy enough to go on the app and look at the notifications. I don't need them popping up also.

I will sometimes purposely leave my phone in another room. My dh will call our home phone in an emergency. (Free google phone)