Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Help with meals for new mom and toddlers? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=525132)

KSL 04-13-2018 11:37 AM

Help with meals for new mom and toddlers?

Hi ladies
I volunteered through church to cook a meal once a week for the next year for a mom in a program our church partners with. Mom is 7 months pregnant and has a 2 year old son and 3 year old daughter. I will deliver meals every Sunday night starting this week and I would really love some ideas from you about meals that travel and reheat well and that mom and tiny ones will like. And that aren’t too crazy expensive to make and that I can double so I can have one for my family as well.

I have a crockpot and love to use it. I am decent cook but not extraordinary— I am feeling nervous she won’t like my food. But I can always adjust to her taste and her kids- she said no allergies and they aren’t picky.

I shop weekly at ALDI and at least once a month at Costco.

I am thinking each week I will do a main dish, a salad, and either muffins or some sort of quick bread or dessert, and also fresh fruit? So for this week I am thinking Lasagna, bagged Caesar salad with dressing with Tupperware of chopped up tomatoes and bell peppers to add to it, banana muffins, and a package of cutie navel oranges. Does that sound like a good meal? I wanted to provide some snacks for the week too, hence the muffins and oranges. I can also add a loaf of take and bake Italian bread.

Any and all ideas and links to successful recipes most welcome!!!

bananacake 04-13-2018 11:47 AM

Re: Help with meals for new mom and toddlers?

Taco soup with cornbread muffins or tortilla chips and a bag of shredded cheese would probably be a hit. My Aldi has dried pinto beans.

heartofjoy 04-13-2018 11:48 AM

That is a huge undertaking and so generous of you!

I think doubling what you already make would be good. Since it's ongoing, I'd definitely ask her to let you know what her favorites are and what she doesn't want a repeat of. Once you've got 5-6 favorites, you could rotate them.

I think for littles, providing a meat, starch, veggie usually works best. That way nothing is mixed. Roast, mashed potatoes, peas. Chicken, rice, green beans. Etc. But maybe ask her how well they do with casseroles and such.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

mamacat 04-13-2018 11:50 AM

That sounds really good!

Maedchen 04-13-2018 11:57 AM

Any food restrictions?

This is very sweet of you to do this!

KSL 04-13-2018 04:16 PM

No food restrictions.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Maedchen 04-13-2018 06:14 PM

I like pot pies. (If you use the pre made pie crust in a deep dish pan you could do 2 crusts) If you make it in a casserole dish,you could put biscuits on top. It could either be cooked and delivered or made and taken to her for her to put in her oven when she is ready. It would already be in bite sized pieces for the small ones.

Fried chicken strips (oven or pan fried) served with veggies you think the children would like.

Stir fry with or without a meat. (if you did a bag of the precut cabbage, itwould come together pretty easily for a quick meal) If you wanted to do rice, with minced veggies and chicken or beef.

Deep dish pie crust and make a quiche (4 eggs, 1 cup sour cream, minced spinach and you could put some pureed carrots in along with the cheddar)

Cobblers would be an easy dessert using fresh or the quick cobbler recipe off of pinterest with canned fruits. (My husband can't have peaches or cherries, so I got the pears in their own juices and it actually tastes better to me than the peaches.)

KSL 04-13-2018 07:24 PM

These ideas are so helpful, thank you!!

I love the cobbler and pot pie idea because my family would eat them too!

mommylove 04-13-2018 07:38 PM

Soup, salad and fresh bread makes me soooo happy.

KSL 04-15-2018 06:56 PM

So, I ended up taking white chicken chili (I add a can of diced green chilies to this recipe and it’s my go-to: https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes...0-fc2343fa7ff8) along with cilantro, chopped avocados, and shredded sharp cheddar cheese and a bag of corn tortilla chips. I also sent a gallon of whole milk (that’s what she said her 2 and 3 year old drink), a loaf of banana bread, and a bag of cutie oranges.

She just texted me that they all loved the meal and that it was healthy and delicious. After meeting her today to drop off food she said she tries to limit gluten (no one is celiac or anything she just tries to limit it). So that ended up being a good meal. I know it sounds dumb but I’m genuinely so relieved she liked it I was nervous. And I think I am going to have a rotation of 4-5 meals once I know what they like— bc they’ll only get it once a month since I’m only cooking once a week for her. And that will make it easier for me I think.

So, any gluten free meals (taco soup I think is one) or soups that you love that are hearty would be most welcome!

Maedchen 04-16-2018 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maedchen (Post 6136682)
I like pot pies. (If you use the pre made pie crust in a deep dish pan you could do 2 crusts) If you make it in a casserole dish,you could put biscuits on top. It could either be cooked and delivered or made and taken to her for her to put in her oven when she is ready. It would already be in bite sized pieces for the small ones.

You can make the gravy with 3 Tbs of Gluten Free Bisquick.......... Then top with biscuits made from Bisquick

Fried chicken strips (oven or pan fried) served with veggies you think the children would like.

If you want to use baked, then you can coat with egg and GF Bisquick and then bake.
Or just add the bar-b-que sauce and bake (Just read the label to make sure there is no gluten in the sauce.)

Asian chicken, just make sure that the soy sauce is GLuten free.

Stir fry with or without a meat. (if you did a bag of the precut cabbage, itwould come together pretty easily for a quick meal) If you wanted to do rice, with minced veggies and chicken or beef.

Asian chicken, just make sure that the soy sauce is GLuten free.

Deep dish pie crust and make a quiche (4 eggs, 1 cup sour cream, minced spinach and you could put some pureed carrots in along with the cheddar)

Mix up the above and add 1/2 cup of Gluten Free Bisquick and this will make it's own crust. (This can be also done to a custard pie recipe and it makes it's own crust.)

Cobblers would be an easy dessert using fresh or the quick cobbler recipe off of pinterest with canned fruits. (My husband can't have peaches or cherries, so I got the pears in their own juices and it actually tastes better to me than the peaches.)

Such as this recipe: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/14425661284657085/
Where it says flour or self rising flour substitute the same amount of Gluten Free Bisquick. I have had great results using this recipe.

I will try to think of some other recipes that are gluten free, but I wanted to adjust my previous post to show that this is how we make these items to be Gluten Free.

(If you don't normally cook gluten free, Publix and WalMart sell the GF Bisquick here with WalMart being the cheaper)

knitlove 04-16-2018 03:48 PM

Rice baised meals/ casirols can be good.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

sprout 04-16-2018 04:09 PM

the most favorite meals at our house for young ones are:

tacos
pepperroni rolls with dipping sauce
dip veggies and ranch
hamburgers with cheese
meatballs
rice with broccoli and sweet sauce
chicken with BBQ dip
baked potatoes with broccoli and bacon
pasta with veggies
quiche

Maedchen 04-16-2018 05:14 PM

Meatloaf would require 1 or both of GF bread crumbs/GF oats depending on your recipe.

Sliced potatoes cooked with salt and pepper with or without cheddar and baked in milk.

You can take a cabbage and slice in wedge and season with Italian dressing (GF) and seal each in foil and bake.

A friend of mine make Hobo packages in foil. Hamburger meat seasoned along with onion, potato, carrots,celery and bake.

bananacake 04-17-2018 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maedchen (Post 6137008)
Meatloaf would require 1 or both of GF bread crumbs/GF oats depending on your recipe.

Sliced potatoes cooked with salt and pepper with or without cheddar and baked in milk.

You can take a cabbage and slice in wedge and season with Italian dressing (GF) and seal each in foil and bake.

A friend of mine make Hobo packages in foil. Hamburger meat seasoned along with onion, potato, carrots,celery and bake.

You can do meatloaf with almond flour or just egg actually.