Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=422)
-   -   Thinking Tree/Funschooling? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=525907)

NovelMama 08-10-2018 08:20 AM

Thinking Tree/Funschooling?

I just learned about this company. Anyone have any experience with them? I’m having a hard time wrapping my brain around how it all works.

The Tickle Momster 08-11-2018 08:34 AM

Re: Thinking Tree/Funschooling?

We have used a couple of the books. We used the math one for dd to help with memorizing math facts. It had fun stuff and repetition as well.

I really loved the idea in the spelling and seasonal books. We didn't actually use those.

Do you have more specific questions?

Soliloquy 08-11-2018 02:09 PM

They are very repetitive. Very. The multiplication books that we have have the exact same multiplication table on every other page. We have a few of their other books, a Minecraft science one and few nature books. I haven't gotten into them yet.

They are fun and my kids do like them. But I think they are over-priced for being so repetitive. I only consider buying them when they're on sale.

ctab 08-14-2018 08:50 AM

You might want to look at the Usborne Academy books. They are a lot of fun with some hidden learning. The entrepreneur academy is like a mini shark tank in a book. I think they could be great jumping off points for independent learning. We are doing the astronaut academy while we learn about space.

Quiteria 08-14-2018 09:22 PM

My kids caught repeating pages in the Dyslexia Games they publish, and shut right down over "I already did that!!!!" Sigh.

NovelMama 08-15-2018 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Tickle Momster (Post 6152193)
We have used a couple of the books. We used the math one for dd to help with memorizing math facts. It had fun stuff and repetition as well.

I really loved the idea in the spelling and seasonal books. We didn't actually use those.

Do you have more specific questions?

I hadn't heard of them until recently so I don't know anyone who uses them. I'm just curious what people's experience has been with them and if they liked them or not. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how they work so I'm hoping to find some people who have used them for a while and can explain how they used them. :)

Soliloquy 08-16-2018 04:04 PM

We just use them as fun supplements and for practice.

As far as them being unschooling, I don't think they are. I think unschooling books are "real life" books that people use for fun and learning, nothing specifically written to be an "unschooling workbook." (Just in case anyone is following along that unschools. They are marketed that way, too.)