Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Fruit flies (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=525979)

Beauty4Ashes 08-27-2018 10:00 AM

Fruit flies

I can’t seem to get rid of them. I have a cup of red wine and dish soap which catches many of them. I find them in the bathrooms. I told the kids to put fruit pits in the kitchen trash can and nowhere else, but I still keep getting fruit flies. I am finding dead ones in my refrigerator, ew. Help? No amount of cleaning and keeping a close eye on fruit and food is working long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soliloquy 08-27-2018 12:17 PM

Re: Fruit flies

I make fruit fly traps with banana peels or a piece of rotting or overripe fruit. That catches more than vinegar.

Put the fruit or peels into a glass or jar. Make a paper funnel with a small opening at the bottom. Put the funnel into the jar and tape all around the edges.

The fruit flies will eventually get in but not be able to get out. When it gets full, put it in the freezer for a day or two and then you can wash it out.

The usually come in the house on bananas and other fruit. Other than not buying fruit, I don't know of any way to prevent them. Where I live, once the hard frosts come we have significantly less. Whether it's because they die during transport or what, I don't know.

Beauty4Ashes 08-29-2018 06:44 AM

What should the consequence be for people who keep throwing away fruit pits and cores in the trash can in their bedroom or the bathroom trash? I have told the kids to eat at the table and to throw fruit pits and cores in the kitchen trash, but they forget. Fruit flies spread to bedroom and bathroom trash cans. Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soliloquy 08-29-2018 10:01 AM

I would either stop buying fruit or find a way to keep it locked away, like I would with a toddler.

I understand teens wanting to eat in their rooms. I do. But bring your trash out to stop the bugs from getting a foothold or you lose the privelege.