Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=433)
-   -   Do I need to worry? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=523363)

Lena O. 07-19-2017 11:14 AM

Do I need to worry?

Our dog just found what I'm assuming is a little brown garter snake in our yard. I've heard they aren't venomous and she isn't acting like she got bit (she's huge and could have easily trampled the thing if she wanted to but she just wanted to bark at it), so do I need to worry about her? And what can I do to get these things OUT of my yard? Even if they aren't dangerous, they freak me out. :shiver

Kiara.I 07-20-2017 12:39 PM

Re: Do I need to worry?

If it's a garter snake, nothing! They're harmless. Well, they do have teeth, so they *can* bite, but I doubt it would bother the dog if they did. They're much more likely to poop in self-defense (and their poop SMELLS. Yuck.)

As for getting them out of the yard...I don't know, I'd quite like to have garter snakes around. We don't get them frequently here!

marbles 07-20-2017 01:13 PM

They're good snakes to have around. Some dogs are good at catching snakes, she might end up taking care of it herself. If you really don't want it in your yard, there is most likely a rescue group who will move it for you. If you have a vet who does any kind of animal rehab in your area you can start by calling them. Or if there's a nature park or conservation site nearby, they will at least know who to contact.

CelticJourney 07-20-2017 02:20 PM

I was once told by the pest control guy 'you will have snakes or you will have rodents. Snakes don't usually want in your house but the rodents do. You have to choose.' I'd choose the snake, but my rottweiler thinks they are fun to play with.

Lena O. 07-23-2017 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CelticJourney (Post 6096386)
I was once told by the pest control guy 'you will have snakes or you will have rodents. Snakes don't usually want in your house but the rodents do. You have to choose.' I'd choose the snake, but my rottweiler thinks they are fun to play with.

EEK! As much as I don't want snakes in my yard, I DON'T want rodents in my house even more! BTDT! So I guess I can deal with snakes in the yard. I went out back this morning and it looks like the dog killed it (I'm assuming it was the same snake). All the chew toys that dog has and she wants to kill a snake. :doh

CelticJourney 07-23-2017 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lena O. (Post 6096771)
EEK! As much as I don't want snakes in my yard, I DON'T want rodents in my house even more! BTDT! So I guess I can deal with snakes in the yard. I went out back this morning and it looks like the dog killed it (I'm assuming it was the same snake). All the chew toys that dog has and she wants to kill a snake. :doh

They are more 'fun'...they move and hiss and interact more than the toys. I once saw my Rott pick up a coiled black snake and throw it like a frisby.