Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   laundry question (poll) (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=513465)

esperanza 04-26-2015 07:22 PM

laundry question (poll)

Growing up, we always washed our underwear with other white clothes in hot water. When I married dh, he made it very clear that mixing underwear with other clothes in laundry is really gross to him (his mom washed them separately). He wants me to wash them separately, which I do because it's a big deal to him. I feel like it wastes a lot of water and hot water kills everything anyway.

I started thinking about it and thought about how his mom didn't have (and still doesn't) have access to hot water for laundry. So perhaps that is why she always washed their underwear separately. I grew up with access to hot water for laundry. But I'm curious if other people separate underwear for laundry or not.

Little Forest 04-26-2015 08:18 PM

Re: laundry question (poll)

Towels, socks and underwear all go together for us on a heavy duty load. And all the loads I run are FULL.

Point out to him it was a completely different culture and set of circumstances and tell him you ought to do what makes the most actual sense in your own circumstances.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kiara.I 04-26-2015 08:23 PM

Nope, never. I separate by colour, and that's it. (Whites and lighter things, Darks and more colourful things, and reds/oranges/yellows/pinks/purples.)

MercyInDisguise 04-26-2015 08:24 PM

Dh wears whitey tighteys, so they get washed in a hot/warm cycle with only whites (mainly his underwear and socks). My undies (and C's) are colors, so they get washed with other clothes. :shrug

marigold 04-26-2015 08:27 PM

umm, i wash everything clothes wise all together regardless of colour in cold water - kids clothes is one load, mine and baby clothes is another load, dh's clothes another load, anything peed or defecated on goes in with the daily diaper load which gets rinsed and sanitized and rinsed again. But if it is not fouled it just goes in the wash like normal. Our machine has a quick wash button so if my dh felt the way yours did I would just throw his undies in that, but he would have to separate them out himself I sure don't have the time.

RiverRock 04-26-2015 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiara.I (Post 5911460)
Nope, never. I separate by colour, and that's it. (Whites and lighter things, Darks and more colourful things, and reds/oranges/yellows/pinks/purples.)

This, but I also add a load for work clothes that includes cleaning rags, and a load for dh's karate gi (ds's gi isn't as sweaty so it goes in with the white load).

KarenBoo 04-27-2015 02:48 AM

I have never even heard of washing underwear separately.:shrug3 We don't have enough "white" things to wash a load of whites. I separate mine by lights, darks, and towels/rags. Sheets and blankets also get their own loads.

HadassahSukkot 04-27-2015 03:02 AM

Towels, socks and underwear together for some loads, otherwise towels only and 60°C.
Usually it's clothes by color, including underwear at 30°C.

twoplustwo 04-27-2015 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Forest (Post 5911455)
Towels, socks and underwear all go together for us on a heavy duty load. And all the loads I run are FULL.

Great minds think a like!

MaySunflowers 04-27-2015 04:15 AM

I separate colors, towels and fluffy things... and rags that had bleach on them.

esperanza 04-27-2015 04:41 AM

Thanks all. I don't feel so odd now knowing that other people don't separate their underwear! He gets grossed out if just one pair gets mixed in with another load!

bananacake 04-27-2015 06:40 AM

I don't separate out anything :shrug But our underwear and towels aren't white.

Elibellamiah 04-27-2015 06:55 AM

I only separate by color (whites, lights, and darks, or just light and dark if there aren't enough whites) and I usually wash anything with color cold.

FaithnPraise 04-27-2015 07:05 AM

All clothes are washed together (on warm or cold), we don't have enough white/light things to separate them out. :no

Towels are washed with sheets on hot. ;)

Virginia 04-27-2015 02:34 PM

If I waited until I had enough underwear to do a separate load, I'd never have clean underwear... not normal, as far as I'm aware of, to separate them from other laundry :)