Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Baby Wearing (Slings, Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=419)
-   -   Do slings impair breathing? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=162566)

Marielle 08-03-2007 01:14 PM

Re: Do slings impair breathing?

yeah my kids hate the cradle position and I always felt nervous with them completely lost in the sling so deep so we always did tummy to tummy with legs scrunched like a frog.

This Busy Mom 10-11-2007 02:22 PM

Yeah, my baby in my avitar is positioned badly. I knew it when I drew it and I don't like it... it's bad sling posture.

I have always slid my arm down inside the sling and under the baby's neck to help with the head position in the cradle carry. I wish I could show you all but I don't have an infant anymore or I'd take some pics.

Cinnamon 05-07-2008 06:13 PM

well i must admit this thread is making me go :jawdrop. my dd looooved the cradle carry in her pouch sling and breathing was never an issue. i just love slings, they're my favourite kind of carrier and i'm kinda sad she's too big for them now.

Dana Joy 05-07-2008 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinnamon
well i must admit this thread is making me go :jawdrop. my dd looooved the cradle carry in her pouch sling and breathing was never an issue. i just love slings, they're my favourite kind of carrier and i'm kinda sad she's too big for them now.

There is a great article on keeping baby safe and breathing properly here:
http://www.thebabywearer.com/article...ositioning.pdf

AmyDoll 08-06-2008 07:33 PM

I don't know how I missed this thread - but our NINO group closed and re-organized after a baby died in a sling at one of our meetings. :cry The momma thought he had just gone to sleep in a *borrowed* sling and at the end of the meeting she went to return the sling :bheart
Be VERY careful, mommas.

Dana Joy 08-06-2008 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmyDoll
I don't know how I missed this thread - but our NINO group closed and re-organized after a baby died in a sling at one of our meetings. :cry The momma thought he had just gone to sleep in a *borrowed* sling and at the end of the meeting she went to return the sling :bheart
Be VERY careful, mommas.

NINO disbanded for entirely different reasons that had to do with money and non-profit status. I am heartbroken that this happened- do you have a link to verify? When?

AmyDoll 08-07-2008 05:45 AM

Oh OK - the timing was just coincidental; it was in Summer 2007. I hadn't gone to that meeting (they are 45 min from my house - so had only gone about 2x a yr) but Kelley (of Kozy Carriers) shared the info on our FNL list. I never googled to find a link - I accepted what Kelley said as fact.

Dana Joy 08-07-2008 07:47 AM

Quote:

Kelley (of Kozy Carriers) shared the info on our FNL list. I never googled to find a link - I accepted what Kelley said as fact.

:cry

abbiroads 08-07-2008 08:21 AM

I heard the story too, from a reputible, though second hand, source.

Rabbit 08-07-2008 09:01 AM

A momma in my postpartum group had her child's heart and breathing stop repeatedly, for unknown reasons, throughout his first year. He was never in a sling. Sometimes it just happens.

Raspberries 08-07-2008 09:06 AM

Really wish I hadn't opened this thread. :cry I keep imagining the scene and it's literally making me cry. I can't even imagine. That poor mama.

EmmyVoo 09-27-2008 10:07 AM

aw man.... I've only heard of the slings for babycarrying in the past week! I was so excited to get one for when my baby comes.... And now I'm all paranoid..... :nails

April G 09-27-2008 10:47 AM

For what it's worth, my son preferred the cradle position and I always checked him regularly to make sure he wasn't overly scrunched... it was just instinctual for me... :shrug3 I did the same thing when he was co-sleeping with me... and when he was sleeping in his crib...

euromom 09-27-2008 11:01 AM

Quote:

Be VERY careful, mommas.

:yes2 :cry I'm afraid to say too much because this is a public forum, but do be VERY careful! We had a death in our family that may have been caused by a sling :cry :cry :cry I did still cradle dd but I was super cautious/paraniod because of what happened to my niece :cry

stillsmallvoice 05-16-2011 08:55 PM

I never liked having my kids in any kind of carry where their chins could fall downward. I always carried them in an upright position in the sling