Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   cleaning cast iron (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=519362)

esperanza 06-04-2016 06:44 PM

cleaning cast iron

I have a cast iron pan I have been using more often, but I'm not really sure how to get it clean. I know that I shouldn't use soap, and nothing that is too abrasive, right? So how do you get the hard gunk off? I have a sponge with a scrubby side, but it isn't getting the caked off food off well enough. What do you use? And do I really need to put new oil on it after every time I wash it?

2sunshines 06-04-2016 06:58 PM

Re: cleaning cast iron

Honestly it depends on how well seasoned they are. A more seasoned pan can take on a little more than a less seasoned pan.

I exclusively use cast iron. So they get used daily at minimum, often multiple times a day. I wash with water only, but will use a scouring pad to get chunks off. I used to oil after each wash but I no longer find I need to. :shrug3

ViolaMum 06-04-2016 07:00 PM

I usually just use a dishrag or paper towel to wipe out my cast iron after use. (It's well-seasoned.) If anything is stuck, I use either a metal spatula or steel wool to scrape it off. (I use a metal spoon to clean out the cups of my ebelskiver pans.) It's okay to use abrasive tools. I've read that the use of metal tools helps to smooth the surface of the cast iron and make it slicker. I don't oil it after every use any more.

esperanza 06-04-2016 07:06 PM

Oh good, I can use steel wool? Not that I have any, but I was afraid that would damage it. Good to know! I haven't used this pan much, but now that it's out and heavy to put away, I just have left it out and keep using it. ;) But the stuck on food is kinda gross.

JoannaV 06-04-2016 07:07 PM

The sooner you wash it after using, the easier.

2sunshines 06-04-2016 07:16 PM

Yep. Steel wool, that's what I use. :yes and I agree with doing it right awah. Comes off fairly easy right away. And gets better the more seasoned it is. I rarely have things stick anymore.

esperanza 06-04-2016 07:25 PM

The problem is that it's so hot for a while, so I have to wait until it cools down to wash it. Good tips though, thanks!

2sunshines 06-04-2016 07:36 PM

Oh yes! I don't mean right away as in when it's super hot! I cook. Then serve and eat dinner. Then after we load the dinner dishes I wash out the pan. That fits in the "right away" description for me.

Mother of Sons 06-04-2016 08:03 PM

I use chain mail for cleaning mine but Ive also used those coily metal scrub balls. It's not steel wool but similar. I oil mine but I do it differently than most do. I wash out my lane and turn on the stove to dry them. When they are dry I add one drop of oil (or two for the bigger ones) and spread it using a basting brush. Then I shut off the stove and it's done. I repeat this process before I cook in it and it rarely ever has anything stick. The key is to not use very much oil though.

MaySunflowers 06-05-2016 11:30 AM

I put boiling water on mine to rinse, then after lots of salt and I scrub with a plastic brush, then rinse with water. Mine is seasoned enough that I rarely oil it afterwards.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0100 using Tapatalk

knitlove 06-05-2016 12:15 PM

My cast iron I inherited is seasoned si well I can wash it with water with no issue. The prices I bought new neaver see water. I scrubbed them with steel wool. If I know this GS are going to stick horribly I will grab the steel wool with tongs and do a bit of scrubbing before everything cools down.

marbles 06-05-2016 01:05 PM

Mine are in great shape, I keep hearing conflicting advice about how to wash it, though. I use a little bit of soap if I cook lots of eggs or if something burns in it or if the water runs brown or black when I rinse it. I oil it well after using soap. Sometimes I just wipe it out with a paper towel. Usually, I rinse it while still hot, scrub it with sea salt and/or a rough scrubber thing (depending on how much food debris is in it), rinse it again, heat on the stove, rub a little oil on it, heat it for a minute or two, done.

MaySunflowers 06-05-2016 01:10 PM

That's why I rinse with boiling water first, rids the thick fat that makes the water thick and brown.... then scrubbing with salt removes the particles.

marbles 06-05-2016 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaySunflowers (Post 6018475)
That's why I rinse with boiling water first, rids the thick fat that makes the water thick and brown.... then scrubbing with salt removes the particles.

Well I mean like if I do all my regular washing routine and the second rinse is still brown. I use soap with eggs because I'm allergic. Sometimes there's lots of egg residue and I'm not confident I got it all. I scrubbed with soap when my daughter stopped eating gluten, too, to make sure the pans were completely clean.
Some people say soap ruins cast iron, some people say it's the only way to really get it clean and it's just fine so long as you oil it. I go middle ground and use it minimally. Either way, it shouldn't be wet longer than it takes to actually wash it (no soaking or drip drying)

Mother of Sons 06-05-2016 01:37 PM

I don't like to use soap because I have more sticking when I do. My aunt used to put them in the dishwasher though. Ack. Generally with something like eggs they never stick so all I do is wipe it out. That's why I love cast iron. Plus if something goes wrong you just start over. My friend had a pan that was sticky from oil so I scrubbed it out and started it over for her and now it's beautifully non stick.