Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Co-Sleeping & Nighttime Parenting *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   What is ACTUALLY normal? How can I help DD sleep longer? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=446125)

babyfeet 04-14-2012 09:36 AM

What is ACTUALLY normal? How can I help DD sleep longer?

DD is 5 mos. From what I read (even Dr. Sears), she should be waking only once or twice in the night if everything is normal. between 6 weeks and 4 mos, she woke only once or twice, but at 4 mos, she gradually started waking more. Now she goes to bed around 8, sleeps till around 11 or 12 (sometimes) and then wakes every 2 hours after that. It feels like I have a newborn again!:sigh Is this normal??

Whether it is or not, I'm getting REALLY burned out. I had a breakdown at 5 this morning:hissyfit when she wouldn't go back to sleep, because all I would like is a full sleep cycle. DH is away on training this month and will be deployed in June for almost a year, so I don't get help at night.

How can I help her sleep longer? She sleep in the pack n play next to my bed and next to me (on and off throughout the night). :yawn :help

TIA

Aerynne 04-14-2012 09:42 AM

Re: What is ACTUALLY normal? How can I help DD sleep longer?

She could be teething. Two of my three got teeth at four months, and night waking was the only sign of it. They weren't even distressed when they woke- they just woke a lot.

You could try an amber necklace or some orajel when she wakes up.

Barefoot Bookworm 04-14-2012 09:46 AM

I can't help but I can commiserate. My 7 month old is up every 2-3 hours all night. :yawn

CapeTownMommy 04-14-2012 10:38 AM

She might just be hungry? Both of mine did this around 5 months and this is exactly why I didn't wait until 6 months to start solids with either of them (and I was totally planning to).

WildFlower 04-14-2012 10:44 AM

Do you co-sleep? We never planned to (didn't plan to do AP either though!) but around 5 months is when we started co-sleeping due to exhaustion. DD would do the same thing wake around 12 pm or 1am. I'd start her out in her pack n play basinett then at her first waking, nurse her and bring her into bed with me. She slept longer cradled next to me in my arms. When she would wake again I would latch her on and go back to sleep. it SO helped me get through those frequent wakings. She still sleeps like this right next to me and when she wake nurses and goes back to sleep. Teething can cause more frequent wakings. I also got DD an amber necklace around 6 months old which seemed to help. Recently she had it off, then she started tossing and turning and waking more. I put it back on and she slept better again! :jawdrop I forgot that she was teething for her canines!

Housekat 04-14-2012 10:58 AM

:hug sounds like you hit the four months sleep regression. Here's an article from Kellymom:

http://kellymom.com/parenting/nighttime/4mo-sleep/

Sorry this is short :nak

magpiedpiper 04-14-2012 11:11 AM

:hug2

My 8.5 month old still wakes up every 1-2 hours (sometimes as little as a half hour even) and always has. I feel like I have tried everything at this point. I'm sorry. I know how hard it is to function when you are exhausted.

mamacat 04-14-2012 11:15 AM

wondering about a growth spurt? If you cosleep you may find it helpful to introduce white noise and maybe side car a twin next to your bed and wall so you can lie with her there and then scoot over to big bed.sometmes when they get older they are more easily awakened and aware of your movements and start to wake up and then think awww maybe Ill nurse a bit more :)

Domina 04-14-2012 11:16 AM

Sumo did that at 5 months. He went from sleeping 11 hours straight to waking frequently, and we weren't cosleeping OR breastfeeding. We started giving him a bowl of oatmeal before bed (little sooner than we planned to start solids) and using Boiron's Camilia teething drops for pain. One of those things helped...not sure which.

GlobalMama 04-21-2012 03:54 AM

I'll second teething. And I'll spare you the details of how long it took DS to sleep more than an hour or two at a time :shifty Big :hug to you. I was so sleep deprived with DS that I put my wallet in the freezer on accident.