Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Toilet seat cleaning... (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=508458)

Kiara.I 09-13-2014 09:05 PM

Toilet seat cleaning...

Long, long ago, somebody posted that they take their toilet seat off once a month or so and soak it.

I've meant to do that ever since. But...what do you soak it in? I have no memory of that part....

sunflowermom 09-13-2014 10:05 PM

Re: Toilet seat cleaning...

:cup

2TMama 09-14-2014 05:55 AM

:shrug3

:bump

mamacat 09-14-2014 06:34 AM

I would think almost anything.What a good idea to take it off! Just whatever you use for regular cleaning - vinegar and water etc.

veggie_mama 09-25-2014 03:29 PM

Gosh, I worry that if I took it off I might not be able to get it back on... Hahaha ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

2sunshines 09-25-2014 04:29 PM

Serious question... why?

I mean, I get that you could get around some of the places that are harder to get while attached, but what's happening to your seats that make it worth that much work?

I'm genuinely asking. I hate the written word because it's hard to tell someone's tone.

blessedwithboys 09-25-2014 05:21 PM

I take my toilet seats off and wipe under the hinges at least twice a week (I installed the flip off kind to make it easier- because toilet hinges are gross) but I've never heard of soaking it and don't really see why?

mommylove 09-25-2014 05:34 PM

We've switched to el cheapo plastic seats because back when we had the 'nicer' ones that look like painted pressboard, the boy pee seemed to erode the paint & create a stink I couldn't get rid of. I wonder if that's the kind of seat the mama who soaks them has. :think I like that the el cheapo seats don't hold stink. :tu

I agree with the PP ... toilet seat hinges *are* gross.

Kiara.I 09-25-2014 05:37 PM

Well in my case...
My toilet smells of pee. It doesn't seem to matter how often I'm cleaning it (daily!), it still smells. And I remember in that original thread someone commented that when you take it off, you find where the pee leaks to. So I was hoping that if I took it off and soaked it, maybe it would help!

Plus, we have the kind of seat that has an extra child seat in it, so there's a lid, a child seat, and a regular seat--which means extra nooks, crannies, and hinges. So I was really hopeful that soaking would help... :(

kiloyd 09-25-2014 06:57 PM

Someone unscrews the toilet seat weekly??!!

I just wipe around the best I can.

I'd think just rinsing the hinges in the tub would be good. Or spraying with whatever cleaning product you like.

mommylove 09-25-2014 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiara.I (Post 5831013)
Well in my case...
My toilet smells of pee. It doesn't seem to matter how often I'm cleaning it (daily!), it still smells. And I remember in that original thread someone commented that when you take it off, you find where the pee leaks to. So I was hoping that if I took it off and soaked it, maybe it would help!

Plus, we have the kind of seat that has an extra child seat in it, so there's a lid, a child seat, and a regular seat--which means extra nooks, crannies, and hinges. So I was really hopeful that soaking would help... :(

I wonder if it's not your toilet that stinks, but the floor? I once cleaned the toilet of a rental house after the tenant moved out. I returned the following day & the toilet *still* stunk & no one had even used it. :doh I cleaned it again . . . still stunk. So then I dumped Pine Sol around the base & left. Next day, the bathroom was fresh & clean.

Kiara.I 09-25-2014 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommylove (Post 5831052)
I wonder if it's not your toilet that stinks, but the floor? I once cleaned the toilet of a rental house after the tenant moved out. I returned the following day & the toilet *still* stunk & no one had even used it. :doh I cleaned it again . . . still stunk. So then I dumped Pine Sol around the base & left. Next day, the bathroom was fresh & clean.

Could well be. And another friend pointed out that I should check the walls... (based on how she'd seen her boys peeing... :sick)

kiloyd 09-26-2014 05:38 AM

Why can't they just sit down and go! :shrug3

gardenfreshmama 09-26-2014 06:07 AM

We have the same smelly-toilet problem and our smell is definitely coming from *under* the toilet. :shudder I'll have to try the pinesol thing.

lucie 09-26-2014 01:34 PM

We do too, but it's either super deep (from previous tenants), or there must be something wrong with the toilet... Nobody in our house pees standing up. I'm going to try the pinesol too, thanks for the tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk