Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Pressure Cooker Recipes *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=547)
-   -   How to Pressure cook dried beans? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=276458)

tempus vernum 10-19-2008 05:15 PM

How to Pressure cook dried beans?

In general I am a soak and slow cooking beans type but this weekend I made jambalaya and forgot to make kidney beans :doh I tried to figure out how to use a pressure cooker as I have one but didn't :blush

SO I used black beans and everyone liked it.

I'd like to know how to do this though.

Can I make dried beans without soaking? If so, how do I do that? Most internet sites say I have to presoak but I am just looking for a short cut when I think :doh I forgot to make dried beans :)

:ty3

CakeLady 10-19-2008 05:18 PM

Re: How to Pressure cook dried beans?

I know you can pressure them without presoaking, but the time will be longer (maybe 2x longer). I try to soak my beans at least 1/2 a day before pressure cooking.

tempus vernum 10-19-2008 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CakeLady
I know you can pressure them without presoaking, but the time will be longer (maybe 2x longer). I try to soak my beans at least 1/2 a day before pressure cooking.

So how do I do this? :O Keep in mind, I am brand new to pressure cooking. I was given a pressure cooker recently and have made pressure cooked greens and that's it. I have done pressure CANNING though :)

CakeLady 10-19-2008 05:25 PM

Rinse them, add to pot with lots of water, add any other seasonings and let soak or pressure.

Here's a good chart, but it does recommend soaking for 4 hours.
http://missvickie.com/howto/beans/howtobeantypes.html

I've never not soaked black beans, but I did it once with pinto. It took longer, but the taste was fine.

ShepherdsWife 03-22-2015 05:59 PM

I do this every single week at least once. I make a HUGE pot of beans and then I am good to go for quick beans and rice burritos all week for meals.
Take your beans(i usually use pinto but I do black, and various other kinds as well) and wash them thoroughly. Put them in the cooker and cover with water. I never measure, but I put a minimum of 3-4 cups of beans or more and then I cover with more than enough water. Lock on the lid and place on the stove on high heat. When your pressure cooker starts to blow steam time for 18 minutes. Then remove from the heat and let the steam finish and the pot cool down until the lock releases and you can open the cooker. Your beans should be ready to eat. They keep about 5-6 days as long as you cool them off quickly and keep them cold.

I wait and salt them as soon as I open the canner instead of salting before cooking. The whole think here at about at altitude of 5000ft. takes a little over an hour from beginning until ready to eat. :)

Chaos Coordinator 03-22-2015 06:18 PM

This is a good idea. I am new to pressure cooking too.

ShepherdsWife 03-22-2015 06:43 PM

Once you get the hang of them they are amazing. I need to learn more myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mommylove 03-22-2015 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShepherdsWife (Post 5900457)
I do this every single week at least once. I make a HUGE pot of beans and then I am good to go for quick beans and rice burritos all week for meals.
Take your beans(i usually use pinto but I do black, and various other kinds as well) and wash them thoroughly. Put them in the cooker and cover with water. I never measure, but I put a minimum of 3-4 cups of beans or more and then I cover with more than enough water. Lock on the lid and place on the stove on high heat. When your pressure cooker starts to blow steam time for 18 minutes. Then remove from the heat and let the steam finish and the pot cool down until the lock releases and you can open the cooker.

I do the same except when I turn on the heat, I set the timer for about 45 minutes for pinto or chickpeas & 40 minutes for black beans & let it go. When I hear the pressure-thingy rocking, I turn the temperature down a bit. They always turn out . . . beans are pretty fool-proof.

I recently read that you're supposed to put a tablespoon of oil in the water to keep beans from foaming & potentially clogging the release valve, but in the 20+ years I've been pressure cooking beans, I've never had a problem.

Then I portion them into ziplocks & freeze. 1.5 cups of beans = 1 can.