Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Gardening *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=431)
-   -   Vegetable & Fruit Gardening, 2018 (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=525068)

Soliloquy 03-31-2018 08:06 PM

Vegetable & Fruit Gardening, 2018

I planted sugar snap peas today. I didn't finish, the toddler was getting fussy. Tomorrow will be busy but I hope to finish on Monday and get spinach planted, too.

I am still looking for kale seeds. All I've found so far is curly kale, we like the lacinato or whatever it is. It's too early to plant much else here. I have to order strawberry plants. I should've done that a long time ago!

charla 04-01-2018 10:43 AM

Re: Vegetable & Fruit Gardening, 2018

Dd and I planted our bag garden on the deck last week with kale, spinach, lettuce and radishes. They are already starting to come up! I forgot to mark which was which so I will have to wait a little longer to tell some of them apart. The only one I can tell is the spinach. :doh:lol We've eaten at least four batches of asparagus so far from the small asparagus patch. I love fresh asparagus so much. :yum

momma2girls 04-01-2018 11:14 AM

I get to share here this year!! I am putting almost everything in tonight and tomorrow. I have peppers, lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplant, and zucchini. We can’t wait for some of the new additions this year. I’m actually a few weeks late in planting a few of these so I am hoping we get produce from those at all.

Soliloquy 04-01-2018 11:55 AM

Whoa, tomatoes in the ground! It must be warm there.

It's snowing today. And accumulating. :lol. I'm sure it will be gone in a few days but I'm glad peas don't mind snow.

knitlove 04-01-2018 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6135074)
Whoa, tomatoes in the ground! It must be warm there.

It's snowing today. And accumulating. [emoji38]. I'm sure it will be gone in a few days but I'm glad peas don't mind snow.

It snowed here but didn't accumilulate.

I am looking for some veggies I can grow in hanging pots in my porch. It is the only spot that gets enough sun once things leaf out in a few weeks. Any one have any ideas?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

2sunshines 04-01-2018 05:06 PM

I can't wait to get to my vegetable garden this year!!! I took last year off because my mother died very unexpectantly in May and it just threw everything off. :( But I'm ready to go again!

I don't do from seeds, but rather plants so I can plant later.

I'm thinking I'll do similar to previous years. Heirloom tomatoes (a couple of varieties), zucchini, and a few varieties of herbs for sure. I still need to choose a few other veggies to grow. :think Depends what looks good at the farmer's market when they sell the plants. I try to think of things that I get a lot of use out of. :think Maybe peppers or kale or lettuce. :think

Soliloquy 04-01-2018 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 6135093)

I am looking for some veggies I can grow in hanging pots in my porch. It is the only spot that gets enough sun once things leaf out in a few weeks. Any one have any ideas?

Just about anything! You can buy tomatoes already in hanging pots at Home
Depot, I'm sure other stores have them, too. Strawberries come in hanging baskets, too. If it gets hot enough, you can grow bell peppers. Lettuce, spinach, etc. and herbs should do really well, too. Lettuce and spinach don't need as much sun and prefer cooler temps so you could hang those in a shadier spot, if you're short on sunny spots.

knitlove 04-02-2018 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6135101)
Just about anything! You can buy tomatoes already in hanging pots at Home
Depot, I'm sure other stores have them, too. Strawberries come in hanging baskets, too. If it gets hot enough, you can grow bell peppers. Lettuce, spinach, etc. and herbs should do really well, too. Lettuce and spinach don't need as much sun and prefer cooler temps so you could hang those in a shadier spot, if you're short on sunny spots.

Oh maybe I will look and see it I might could grow some lettuce in the back! That would be fun.

Hanging on the front porch I get maybe 4 hours of sun, probably more like 3. The whole back yard is dappled at best.

But I have lots of time to do research, I can't put things out in pots untill memorial day. We are still getting down in the mid 20's every night this week.

MaybeGracie 04-02-2018 03:50 PM

Today we planted spinach, lettuce, peas, carrots, and broccoli in our garden. I plan to continually plant (every three weeks). I'm paying my kids $2 per bucket of weeds this summer in hopes of keeping up with that better than I usually do.

On our balcony, I will be planting green onions, mixed greens, basil, rosemary, tomatoes, and cucumbers. Hope to have that done over the next couple of weeks.

Soliloquy 04-02-2018 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 6135130)
Oh maybe I will look and see it I might could grow some lettuce in the back! That would be fun.

Hanging on the front porch I get maybe 4 hours of sun, probably more like 3. The whole back yard is dappled at best.

But I have lots of time to do research, I can't put things out in pots untill memorial day. We are still getting down in the mid 20's every night this week.

The nice thing about hanging pots is you can put them in the garage if you get an unexpected late frost. It's still cold here, too. It snowed AGAIN today! :scratch

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

I am definitely digging up all our blackberry bushes. Not looking forward to that. The thorns are deadly. They were "thornless" but we had our chickens in the garden one summer and they dug up all around the crowns and, I discovered, that causes the crown to send up new canes that are full of thorns. :doh

I do love fresh blackberries so I may buy more thornless ones.

I have a wild black raspberry bush growing in the back yard. It's in a pretty shady area and I'm trying to decide if I want to risk moving it to a sunny area. Maybe when it's bigger.

knitlove 04-03-2018 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6135271)
I am definitely digging up all our blackberry bushes. Not looking forward to that. The thorns are deadly. They were "thornless" but we had our chickens in the garden one summer and they dug up all around the crowns and, I discovered, that causes the crown to send up new canes that are full of thorns. :doh

I do love fresh blackberries so I may buy more thornless ones.

I have a wild black raspberry bush growing in the back yard. It's in a pretty shady area and I'm trying to decide if I want to risk moving it to a sunny area. Maybe when it's bigger.

Maybe it is just a Vermont thing ,but where I am people will list things like this for free on Facebook market place or chraigs list. I see plants like this all the time that are free if you come pull them up. It might be worth it to see if you have any takers, it could bless some one else and you could not have to pull them yo your self.

Lady Grey 04-03-2018 07:13 AM

We put in two tomato plants and several strawberry plants. Plus cucumber, okra and watermelon seeds. There were supposed to be zucchini seeds but those were misplaced so I may just pick up a plant soon. I still need to get a basil plant, which I usually buy from Trader Joe's.

Soliloquy 04-03-2018 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 6135292)
Maybe it is just a Vermont thing ,but where I am people will list things like this for free on Facebook market place or chraigs list. I see plants like this all the time that are free if you come pull them up. It might be worth it to see if you have any takers, it could bless some one else and you could not have to pull them yo your self.

You're right, I see that around here with rhubarb, iris, etc. I don't know if anyone would even want them. The toughest gloves I have aren't enough. But it's worth trying.

---------- Post added at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

I'm making a list so I don't forget.

From seed:
Zucchini, maybe
Lettuce
Spinach
Kale
Dill
Basil
Cilantro
Italian parsley
Sugar snap peas
butternut squash
broccoli
red cabbage
stringless bush beans

Plants:
Tomatoes
June bearing strawberries
Cucumbers
Jalapenos

I need bird netting for the grapes

Dig up blackberries
Dig up ever bearing strawberries

2sunshines 04-05-2018 03:55 AM

oh yes! Thanks for the reminder! I definitely want to continue to add some perrennial fruit bushes/trees this year. We already have thriving rhubarb and planted a peach tree a few years ago. Thinking of adding some blueberry and/or raspberry bushes somewhere. :think

tempus vernum 04-07-2018 09:31 PM

We r doing a small garden. It’s been a few years :think I think 3? Since my brain injuries.

My initial list

Spring:
Tomatoes
Peppers
Bush beans
Cucumbers in hanging planter
Lettuce on hanging planter

Fall:
Garlic

That may be it :think we r needing to keep it small and manageable.

PrincessAnika 04-10-2018 11:52 AM

We have our seeds. Finally were able to rototill the other day. I'll do it again in a day or two then we'll plant this weekend. Corn, bush beans, peppers, tomatoes, I forget what else I have. I'm hoping to be able to jar/freeze some stuff this year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 6135093)

Lettuces, tomatoes, beans!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2sunshines 04-10-2018 05:48 PM

Dh randomly bought some seeds. We never plant from seeds, always from plants!! But for the fun of it we planted the seeds in anmegg carton. They're sprouting and looking good so far!

tempestjewel 04-28-2018 09:57 AM

I've started :rockon

Snow peas and radishes went in first. Then I planted pac choi, winter/cold tolerant lettuce, and sugar snap peas.

Yesterday I planted seed for cauliflower (trying a romanesco variety this year), two types of kale, two types of cabbage, and a row half with orange carrots and half with red.

In another month I'll put out tomato and pepper transplants, and will start trying to grow cucumbers.

My garlic from last fall is all growing beautifully. I also tried planting french shallots, and it seems that all but maybe three clumps didn't come up :scratch Not sure what I did wrong or what got to them :shrug3

The italian plum tree we planted three years ago bloomed for the first time this year, so I hope we have plums! It was growing really lopsided so we pruned severely last year, so I think that is why it didn't bloom. This year it looks so much better and bloomed! Our apple trees (also very young) are blooming too. We have a four-types of pear tree, but it's been hard to try to keep the varieties growing in a balanced way so it is just leafing this year and not blossoming at all (we pruned some of the varieties pretty severely this past winter). I got out and fertilized and weeded the raspberry patch. It's growing well! I also harvested 3 pounds of rhubarb with plenty more in promise.

This is the last year of just watching our asparagus patch grow. We might have been able to harvest the biggest spears this year, but decided to just wait until next year to harvest. I'm really looking forward to that :rockon

I told DH I really want to buy mulch this year for the flower beds and for around the raised beds. It would really help me concentrate on weeding the actual fruit/veggie beds instead of everywhere else!

Soliloquy 04-28-2018 10:01 AM

I got so much done this week! All the seeds are in except the herbs.

Buying tomato plants today.

I ran out of room and I don't know where I'll put cucumbers. :(

believer 04-28-2018 10:01 AM

With my family situation, plus the dogs, I haven't done much. I did plant garlic this past fall, which is doing well, and the asparagus is back and I have pumpkin growing where I tossed my fall pumpkin into the garden. I also have a few other volunteers. Other than that, I am not doing a lot at this time in my garden. I would love to see photos of your gardens though!

Soliloquy 04-28-2018 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by believer (Post 6139009)
With my family situation, plus the dogs, I haven't done much. I did plant garlic this past fall, which is doing well, and the asparagus is back and I have pumpkin growing where I tossed my fall pumpkin into the garden. I also have a few other volunteers. Other than that, I am not doing a lot at this time in my garden. I would love to see photos of your gardens though!

Every fall we chuck our pumpkins into a field/brushy area and I always hope for volunteer pumpkin plants. So far, no luck. We have gotten volunteer gourds, though. One time, we were living in the city and gourds started growing out of the crack between our driveway and our house. Our driveway went right up to the very edge of the foundation and gourds FLOURISHED there! Crazy! I should've submitted photos to urban gardening websites.

I'll try to take some pictures later this week. Raining today.

charla 04-28-2018 10:07 AM

I planted tomatoes and jalapeno plants last week and this week the bunnies ate all the leaves off the stems. I want to replant, but I need to figure out how to keep the bunnies out. :think

Soliloquy 04-28-2018 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charla (Post 6139016)
I planted tomatoes and jalapeno plants last week and this week the bunnies ate all the leaves off the stems. I want to replant, but I need to figure out how to keep the bunnies out. :think

:( Gah! Stakes and chicken wire? I use Liquid Fence on my flowers and it really works to keep the deer away. It's supposed to be just as effective on rabbits. You could use Liquid Fence on the plants up until the fruits appear.

I've also seen blood meal sold as a rabbit repellent. Never tried it, though.

Lady Grey 04-28-2018 10:12 AM

Something ate most of our okra and cucumber. The tomato leaves don't look terribly healthy but they are still growing well.

We have a big cluster of volunteer sunflowers!

tempestjewel 04-28-2018 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6139008)

I ran out of room and I don't know where I'll put cucumbers. :(

There are some great mini varieties suited to containers. Patio snacker and mini munch come to mind. In our previous rental most things had to go into containers. I've been in heaven since we bought a house and can do things permanently!

Soliloquy 04-28-2018 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tempestjewel (Post 6139043)
There are some great mini varieties suited to containers. Patio snacker and mini munch come to mind. In our previous rental most things had to go into containers. I've been in heaven since we bought a house and can do things permanently!

I will have to do a container until we can get a few more raised beds put in.

PrincessAnika 04-29-2018 10:53 PM

Wanted to get some stuff planted but that will have to wait another week. :sigh
Will do corn, 1st planting of peas, tomatoes, carrots, buttercrunch lettuce, and 1st beans. Need to rototill again first. After I get fuel. :giggle
Not sure which will get planted after that and/or when.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soliloquy 06-29-2018 01:09 AM

How are your gardens going?

So far we've gotten lettuce, spinach, kale, rhubarb, strawberries, and sugar snap peas.

We have a pocket gopher in the garden AGAIN this year but I just found one of it's holes and there's a trap in there tonight.

Everything is doing well, can't wait to get more veggies and raspberries! And I'm expecting lots of concord grapes this year.

I transplanted some wild black raspberries. I hope they're happy where I put them.

tempus vernum 06-29-2018 05:25 AM

We didn’t plant till Memorial Day and ended up doing

Lettuce
Bush beans
Peppers
Tomatoes

And we placed our orange tree in rememherance of my aunt in the garden this year since it’s small.

Our lettuce is starting to be ready and so far everything is looking really good :rockon

We’ve gotten tons and tons and tons of rain. It’s been dreary and not warm but now starting yesterday over 90 for the next few days so I’m sure everything will start really growing :grin

Lisa, that’s so amazing how much you grow of your own food!!! So exciting. Do we get pics?

Soliloquy 06-29-2018 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonshineMama (Post 6147153)

Lisa, that’s so amazing how much you grow of your own food!!! So exciting. Do we get pics?

I'll try! I did some weeding yesterday so it looks a lot better. :lol

tempestjewel 06-29-2018 02:33 PM

So far we've harvested lettuce, loads and loads of snow and sugar snap peas, kale, rhubarb, loads of lettuce, and several pounds of raspberries (plus the kids have been eating off the bushes!). Zucchini are forming and we have some green tomatoes. My purple carrots are almost ready, orange need a couple more weeks. Cabbage is starting to ball up. I love this time of year in the garden! :heart

Soliloquy 06-29-2018 04:28 PM

Forgot we also got a lot of asparagus this year. I've decided against expanding our asparagus bed. My kids won't eat if after it's been frozen. We all like it very lightly steamed and still crisp. But not blanched, frozen, and re-heated. And I froze about 10 lbs. Oh well. I think they'll eat cream of asparagus soup this winter but not by itself.

2sunshines 07-01-2018 03:34 AM

My rhubarb is out in full abundance!

My herb and veggie garden looks great -- lots of growth and lots of blooms. Right after planting baby bunnies decimated my broccoli and cauliflower so I put up a new fence and that has seemed to work well! Didn't replant broccoli and cauliflower tho -- figured I'll try again next year.

We had to cut down our peach tree. For some inexplicable reason it died. :( I hope to replace it with a couple of fruit trees soon.

tempestjewel 07-01-2018 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sunshines (Post 6147343)
My rhubarb is out in full abundance!

My herb and veggie garden looks great -- lots of growth and lots of blooms. Right after planting baby bunnies decimated my broccoli and cauliflower so I put up a new fence and that has seemed to work well! Didn't replant broccoli and cauliflower tho -- figured I'll try again next year.

We had to cut down our peach tree. For some inexplicable reason it died. :( I hope to replace it with a couple of fruit trees soon.

:cry for your peach tree! It's so hard losing established trees! :hugheart

Soliloquy 07-01-2018 10:27 PM

I'm so sorry about your peach tree. :( My biggest blueberry bush suddenly died. :(

All the thyme, sage, oregano, and mint are going crazy. And the dill.

ECingMama 07-01-2018 10:34 PM

What a fun thread! (that's actually the result of lots of work!)

I can still plant a plant in a container and get something, right? Doh. It'll be warm through Oct.

Soliloquy 07-01-2018 10:36 PM

Oh yes, especially if you buy tomato plants. And it's never too late to plant greens.

tempestjewel 09-17-2018 01:05 PM

I only planted two dwarf zucchini plants and :jawdrop SO much zucchini! By far my most prolific crop this year!

What are you guys planting for Autumn/Winter? I'm going to pull the zucchini soon and plant corn salad as an edible cover crop. My Swiss chard is doing much better this time of year. Leaf miners always munch on it if I sow in the spring. I've got some pac choi coming on (I will pick it and plant winter lettuce in its place). Collards, and three kinds of kale are smallish but should be good eating this fall. Tomatoes are almost done. My summer, heat-loving bed goes to crimson clover for the winter. And only a little longer before garlic goes in. I've got some over-wintering carrots in, but we usually eat them before they can over-winter :giggle

Soliloquy 09-18-2018 04:56 PM

We just got back home from vacation and fall is here! It was late summer weather when we left. Now, it's definitely fall. Not sure how many more tomatoes will ripen. :sigh

But we have seedless concord grapes ready and they are amazing.

The winter squash seems to be doing well. Still getting zucchini.

I'm going to plant lettuce,, spinach and kale. Not sure how much we'll get, I should've planted it a few weeks ago but I knew I wouldn't be home to water seedlings.

2sunshines 09-18-2018 05:35 PM

I have a peach tree again! Seriously. I cut it down and instructed by 17 year old to dig out the stump. Before he got around to it (the one time I'm super thankful for his procrastination :shifty:lol) a new tree sprouted out of the side of the trunk!!!!! It's actually already about 4 feet high! So I know it will take time but man, a new tree from what was a dead tree! :rockon

Half of my heirloom tomato plants seem to be done producing for the season. The other two are still going strong.

Most of my zucchini is done but I still have a small section that is producing.

My herbs of course are still there and plentiful.

My rhubarb, which provided in abundance in the spring then at some point in the summer pretty much died out faced a resurgence and is producing again!

I've never done a fall planting. Is that much of an option in Michigan? Sadly winter and frost comes very quickly.... :sigh