Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   kombucha 101 thread! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=423094)

Soliloquy 02-06-2012 09:00 PM

Re: kombucha 101 thread! *another new question #63 and 64*

Quote:

Originally Posted by zak (Post 4354244)
So, um... Hale's Medicine and Mother's Milk has kombucha listed as an L5. :shifty Um.... is this really safe to drink while nursing/pregnant? :shifty :bag :nails I'm really kind of freaked out that he has it listed as contraindicated for breastfeeding.

I didn't see this until now. My :twocents is that kombucha is over a thousand years old. Women have been drinking it a loooooong time. Most modern people think it's some fringe thing that hippies brew in their bathtubs. People died in the last few years from drinking pasteurized milk and raw spinach but those aren't on any lists. I think it's really beneficial. I've been drinking it since 2007 and giving it to all my kids after 10 months of age. Everyone needs to do what they think is best, though.

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by houseforjoy (Post 4435009)
Just need to say the blueberry is delicious!! AND i strain the blueberries out and use them in muffins and pancakes and they are still yummy in them!

Lisa-- what kind of grapes do you use ???

I've only made grape a few times, I use grape juice for the second ferment. When I make lemon, I use juice, too.

JustMandy 02-06-2012 09:11 PM

Home brewed kombucha is a little controversial. As with any natural remedy, your body may not respond to it well. My opinion is listen to your body and you'll be fine.

shekinah 02-06-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backtobasicsmum (Post 4451676)
Good old Red Rose tea is black tea, I believe. Also, do you have a Bulk Barn up there? They have several selections of bulk black tea. I buy a black chai tea that is great for kombucha.

No, there aren't any bulk stores up here. Red Rose is the one I got though :) Not too terrible of a price either.

I did see a few "black chai" teas too. I thought that meant some spice or herb was added. I am so ignorant about tea, lol. So that would be okay as well if I can't find the Red Rose again in the future?

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobluegirl (Post 4451668)
ya..Lipton is black

Ya, I thought I would see lots of Lipton, but the only one they had with that name was an organic lemon one. Strange.

Soliloquy 02-07-2012 06:50 AM

Personally I don't use any spiced or flavored teas but some do. Definitely don't use Earl Gray, the bergamot will kill your SCOBY.

backtobasicsmum 02-07-2012 06:51 AM

Yeah, you can try different flavors of black tea. I've had good results with chai tea.

It was mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but don't use Earl Grey tea. The oil of bergmont in it will kill a scoby. <----- Ha! Lisa beat me to it!

shekinah 02-13-2012 09:07 PM

What is it supposed to smell like? Mine has brewed for 6 days so far, and if I go up near it, it's STRONG smelling. It looks great, a baby scoby is forming happily away, and I'm not worried, but the smell is a bit overwhelming, haha. When I add the fruit, will it help tone down the smell, or will it lessen over the next week before I bottle it with the fruit? I'm not familiar with hard cider or wines or anything, so I just want to make sure this type of power scent is okay! Kinda like ACV, actually. Is that a good sign? :)

cobluegirl 02-13-2012 09:10 PM

that is pretty normal. you can taste it if you want.

Soliloquy 02-13-2012 09:24 PM

A sour, ACV smell is a good sign. It will get stronger. Doing a second ferment with fruit will tame it a bit. The acidity is what keeps mold away.

I don't follow all her rules and whatnot, but this is a decent site. http://www.laurelfarms.com/how_to_make_kombucha.html

JustMandy 02-14-2012 11:45 AM

The link won't open for me. :impouting

cobluegirl 02-14-2012 05:00 PM

try removing the spaces perhaps...

shekinah 02-14-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustMandy (Post 4466625)

It opened for me yesterday but not today. Maybe the site is down?

ReedleBeetle 02-14-2012 08:16 PM

I would have no issues drinking it while breastfeeding BUT if I was just starting, I would start low and slow, like 1/4C a day and no more for about 7 days and then increase a little. The reason being that Kombucha is a detoxifier and it will release toxins from your body...and you don't want to send them all to your baby in a big storm. If I was already drinking it before pregnancy/breastfeeding, then I would just keep on drinking without concern. :)

Soliloquy 02-15-2012 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustMandy (Post 4466625)

It won't open for me, now, either. I think the site is down.

Hopetobe 02-19-2012 10:00 AM

SCOBY growing help please!

I'm growing a SCOBY from a bottle of 100% raw Kombucha (Food Renegade's directions). It smells right (vinegar like) and a thin SCOBY has formed on top :). My question is, it looks like it's way above the liquid now (like a centimeter). Is this normal or will it dry out like that? It does appear to be actually on top of very large bubbles. I think you aren't supposed to mess with it, but I did tilt it side to side to get it to touch the liquid, but setting it back down looks the same. Is there anything I should do? I think it's about an 1/8" thick. I wanted to grow it to maybe 1/3" before brewing my first batch of Kombucha:cool

TIA!

cobluegirl 02-19-2012 10:11 AM

it is fine. Just leave it alone!

mine still isn't getting carbonated.. :hissyfit I dislike batches like this.