Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   kombucha 101 thread! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=423094)

Soliloquy 05-02-2012 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobluegirl (Post 4606291)
Here is some good info. make sure to check out her other links too.

http://www.foodrenegade.com/why-choo...king-kombucha/

I've been weighing continuous brew for awhile ... I make 11 gallons at a time and it is quite an undertaking. But I don't think continuous brew is GAPS compatible so I'll have to wait until we're off GAPS. I think. :think

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Hopetobe 05-02-2012 02:40 PM

Re: kombucha 101 thread! *another new question #63 and 64*

Quote:

Originally Posted by joysworld (Post 4607783)
So should I not ferment it as long? I'm fermenting for 12 days.

That seems like a really long time, but I guess it depends where you are. I do mine for 5 days usually, but sometimes it seems to come out better than other times...trying to figure it out. Anyway, yes, I'm a beginner still, but if it comes out tasting (not just smelling, it always smells like vinegar) and it's too acidic, then you need to do it for less time. Maybe check it (taste by getting some out with a straw) every day starting at day 4 or 5.

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaM (Post 4607784)
I've been weighing continuous brew for awhile ... I make 11 gallons at a time and it is quite an undertaking. But I don't think continuous brew is GAPS compatible so I'll have to wait until we're off GAPS. I think. :think

Interesting...is the end product different then regular? Like what would make it not GAPS legal?

cobluegirl 05-02-2012 02:43 PM

I usually do 14-20 days. It will depend upon what time of year, how warm your house is and how you like the flavor.

joysworld 05-02-2012 06:07 PM

My house is usually between 75 and 80, but I'm sure the kitchen is hotter because I always have one crockpot going, sometimes two, and the oven going, plus the stove top. I don't like it burning going down, but I don't want a lot of sugar left in it.

JenLovie 05-02-2012 06:34 PM

I have my first batch going! I'm starting from scratch and using a bottle of KT from the store. I'm assuming my initial ferment will take longer, right? Anything specific I need to know since I'm starting from scratch? I'm super excited (DH is, too, but only because I won't be buying KT every time I go to Sprouts).

cobluegirl 05-02-2012 06:39 PM

yes it will likely take a little longer but start checking it about day 10 or so.

momyshaver 05-02-2012 06:47 PM

My friend gave me a scoby and encouraged me to try kombucha. Has anyone used tap water? Do you just let it sit for a while to dechlorinate or ?

melliethepooh 05-03-2012 08:20 AM

I filter and boil our tap water, then cool before adding the scoby.
Posted via Mobile Device

passthemanna 05-03-2012 11:10 AM

I use a Pur filter to filter tap water then boil it a few minutes before brewing my tea. I let the tea cool completely before adding the scoby

---------- Post added at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenLovie (Post 4609128)
I have my first batch going! I'm starting from scratch and using a bottle of KT from the store. I'm assuming my initial ferment will take longer, right? Anything specific I need to know since I'm starting from scratch? I'm super excited (DH is, too, but only because I won't be buying KT every time I go to Sprouts).

i let my 1st batch go about 13 days with a storebought kt scoby. my 2nd batch was much faster- about 6 days

Soliloquy 05-03-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopetobe (Post 4608798)
That seems like a really long time, but I guess it depends where you are. I do mine for 5 days usually, but sometimes it seems to come out better than other times...trying to figure it out. Anyway, yes, I'm a beginner still, but if it comes out tasting (not just smelling, it always smells like vinegar) and it's too acidic, then you need to do it for less time. Maybe check it (taste by getting some out with a straw) every day starting at day 4 or 5.

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

Interesting...is the end product different then regular? Like what would make it not GAPS legal?

To be GAPS compatible you need to ferment away as much sugar as possible while still keeping it palpable. Most GAPSters do the first ferment a really long time then do a second ferment with fruit to make it more palatable.

Soliloquy 05-03-2012 12:32 PM

In continuous brew you are regularly adding fresh sweet tea so you're getting a mix if really old, medium, and unfermented kt

Soliloquy 05-03-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove (Post 4604908)
okay--I apologize if I've missed this. I've tried to keep up with the thread but there's a lot here :phew

Lisa, *how* do you eat the baby scabies? I'm about to have more than I know what to do with :shifty They're freaky weird but I'm willing to add them to recipes :shrug3 Any suggestions?

Also, I bought some raw cabbage sauerkraut with probiotics, etc., so can I use the liquid from that to do my own fermented veggies? And I'm hearing about potatoes . . . is there a link or post number where the veggies are talked about? I'd really like to get some fermented something or other :giggle

:ty

Also . . . people keep saying "tastes good" and I'm still going :scratch My lemon ginger water kefir is :yum But the kombucha still tastes like acv :shifty I did the last batch with grape juice and another batch with peach juice and they both were good for a few days and now, nearing the end of the 2nd 2 weeks of brewing (we've been drinking it daily) all vinegary :sratch

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaM (Post 4604993)
After the 2nd ferment it needs to go in the fridge or it will keep fermenting. In warm weather, the first ferment can be as short as 7 days and the 2nd as short as 2.

If it's too strong to drink it makes an excellent marinade. Or you can cut it with water or juice or mix it with evoo to make salad dressing.

To make fermented veggies, you don't need to save any juice or anything, although you can. You just mix veggies in water with the correct proportion of salt. You can search for sauerkraut recipes or no pound sauerkraut. You don't need a special crock, a regular glass jar is fine.

We eat pieces of SCOBYs, I compost most of them.

I take back what I said about sauerkraut. Imo, sauerkraut and other self-brining ferments should only be made in an anaerobic container like a Pickl-It jar.

Dilly carrots should be ok in a regular jar with the lid very tightly closed but a pickl-it jar is the ideal.

HadassahSukkot 05-03-2012 02:33 PM

I don't remember who asked about how/if you can grow a Kombucha Scoby... Food Renegade says you can... and how!

Happy brewing! :heart

melliethepooh 05-03-2012 03:21 PM

:hissyfit

Ok, so my last scoby died a moldy death. I cleaned the (glass) crock out well. Tried to grow another scoby from scratch and it is infested with the same black moldy stuff. What am I doing wrong?
Posted via Mobile Device

Soliloquy 05-03-2012 03:23 PM

Tell us exactly what ingredients you used, how you made it, and where you are storing your fermenting vessel.