Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=402)
-   -   Language learning apps. Lingodeer? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=529222)

passthemanna 12-30-2020 03:02 PM

Language learning apps. Lingodeer?

Has anyone used lingodeer? What did you think? They have a lifetime learning offer for $99. I'd like to learn Spanish...it would be really cool to learn it well enough to use at work (plan to become an RN). I've taken one semester of Spanish in college. I'm looking for something to keep me practicing and plan to supplement with podcasts and whatnot. Anyway...I'm just wondering if it's worth the money or if I should just stick with the free duolingo.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

heartofjoy 12-30-2020 07:29 PM

Re: Language learning apps. Lingodeer?

Duolingo is on sale right now.

I've been doing Spanish on it and I'm considering paying for it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

passthemanna 12-30-2020 07:51 PM

I think they are all on sale right now [emoji38] googling "is it worth it to pay for duolingo " led me to this one. I like idea of paying once

graciousmomma 12-30-2020 07:51 PM

Following. :popcorn One of my kids wants to learn Norwegian. I have no idea what would be good for that.

passthemanna 12-30-2020 08:42 PM

I didn't see Norwegian on Deerlingo. Maybe babbel or Rosetta stone. Rosetta stone was free for kids earlier this year. Not sure about now

---------- Post added at 10:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartofjoy (Post 6240448)
Duolingo is on sale right now.

I've been doing Spanish on it and I'm considering paying for it.

I don't know how the friends thing works on duolingo but my username is Teri398482 if you want to be friends :D

JoannaV 12-30-2020 09:02 PM

I just followed you, Teri.

I pay for Duolingo, well my subscription ended a few days ago and I told them why I was cancelling and then started a new subscription today. :lol (Your post actually reminded me to do so before the sale ended!) I subscribed so I could do lessons offline whilst abroad. However, it updates the downloaded bits every week and won't let you use it offline once it wants to do its weekly download. Which makes no sense. So I had to use some really bad café WiFi to update. It took the whole hour. :cry2

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

Norwegian is on Duolingo.

heartofjoy 12-30-2020 09:52 PM

I just followed you!

passthemanna 12-30-2020 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoannaV (Post 6240454)
I just followed you, Teri.

I pay for Duolingo, well my subscription ended a few days ago and I told them why I was cancelling and then started a new subscription today. [emoji38] (Your post actually reminded me to do so before the sale ended!) I subscribed so I could do lessons offline whilst abroad. However, it updates the downloaded bits every week and won't let you use it offline once it wants to do its weekly download. Which makes no sense. So I had to use some really bad café WiFi to update. It took the whole hour. :cry2

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

Norwegian is on Duolingo.

Wowie wow- you have a lot of points! I feel like a newb

JoannaV 12-31-2020 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by passthemanna (Post 6240464)

It's one thing I can succeed at every day. :lol Meanwhile, you're in real college!
The last month or so I haven't been doing much though, mostly just a practice lesson in each language every day.

heartofjoy 12-31-2020 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by passthemanna (Post 6240464)

I'm the newbie! I just started a couple of weeks ago and I sometimes just do one little lesson a day. Takes about 1 minute right before bed. I get intimidated scrolling down and seeing how much there is to learn!

It helps that I grew up in south Texas and the language is familiar and I can probably pronounce it fairly well.

---------- Post added at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoannaV (Post 6240478)
It's one thing I can succeed at every day. [emoji38] Meanwhile, you're in real college!

The last month or so I haven't been doing much though, mostly just a practice lesson in each language every day.

I feel the same way about it being the one thing I can succeed at every day! One of my goals for 2021 is to stay regular with it.

passthemanna 12-31-2020 08:48 AM

I haven't done it for months. I want to do duolingo instead of mindless Facebook scrolling. My kids are learning Spanish, i need to start reading Spanish books with them again.
Joanna- how is it learning multiple languages at once? I took German in high school, and sometimes the German word will pop into my head instead of the Spanish word [emoji38]

---------- Post added at 10:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

So back to lingodeer...I've been reading it has mistakes and already caught a pronunciation that bugs me-
"... y una.." was "you-nuh"
I think I'll just stick with the free duolingo for now. It's good incentive to try harder not to lose hearts. Also, playing on a computer allows unlimited hearts and seems like fewer or no ads. I can't remember because it's been a while.

heartofjoy 12-31-2020 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by passthemanna (Post 6240483)
I haven't done it for months. I want to do duolingo instead of mindless Facebook scrolling. My kids are learning Spanish, i need to start reading Spanish books with them again.
Joanna- how is it learning multiple languages at once? I took German in high school, and sometimes the German word will pop into my head instead of the Spanish word [emoji38]

---------- Post added at 10:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

So back to lingodeer...I've been reading it has mistakes and already caught a pronunciation that bugs me-
"... y una.." was "you-nuh"
I think I'll just stick with the free duolingo for now. It's good incentive to try harder not to lose hearts. Also, playing on a computer allows unlimited hearts and seems like fewer or no ads. I can't remember because it's been a while.

I took German in HS too and actually started Duolingo with German, not Spanish! But my youngest is taking Spanish, so in order to help him practice, I switched. It's definitely more practical!

passthemanna 12-31-2020 09:52 AM

I know I've had many more occasions where knowing spanish would have been much more helpful than knowing German!

Soliloquy 12-31-2020 01:03 PM

I'm leery of all lifetime access pricing because, if the company goes bust, you're out of that money. But, sometimes it's worth the risk.

I've used Duolingo and liked it but I did find out harder to grasp grammar. I need to print out some verb conjugation charts or something, especially for past and future tense.

passthemanna 12-31-2020 01:20 PM

I am not going to pay for anything. Mispronouncing "...y una..." was a huge red flag for me. I would be having a much harder time with duolingo if i hadn't already taken a spanish class! I also have some quick learner laminated things with grammar rules i got for about $5-6 on amazon.