Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Kitchen sink: single or double basin (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=524902)

2TMama 03-01-2018 10:47 PM

Kitchen sink: single or double basin

Which have you had, what have you loved/hated....if you could get a kitchen sink now, would you replace it with the same as you currently have? :shrug3

MegMarch 03-01-2018 10:57 PM

Re: Kitchen sink: single or double basin

Have and would replace with the same - double, one side more narrow with disposal, one large, both sides deep. I've used similar where the prep side was shallow and hated it.

Soliloquy 03-02-2018 12:41 AM

I hate double sinks. I cannot wait to replace my double sink with one HUGE sink. I cannot fit my big roasting pan in my sink, it has to be at an angle. I have never found a use for having a double.

2TMama 03-02-2018 04:58 AM

We do have a double currently and use our dishwasher as much as possible; however, we have a sink strainer in the one side for anything we wash by hand.

Soliloquy, with a single basin...do you suppose you’d have a countertop strainer?

knitlove 03-02-2018 06:48 AM

If I have a good dishwasher I want a single basin like a farm house sink.

If I am washing everything by hand I want a three basin sink, like I grew up with. In the middle is a small shallow area with the disposal and on either side are deeper basins.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Singingmom 03-02-2018 07:08 AM

One of the things I like about a double basin is that someone can wash hands in one side if there are dishes in the other. It doesn't seem sanitary to wash hands over dishes, and there are always some dishes in the large side even though I usually stay on top of things.

Aerynne 03-02-2018 08:11 AM

I can’t imagine not having a double. I soak dishes in one side while rinsing in the other. My mom has a single and gets around that by soaking in a dishpan, though.

My sink is extra deep and I like that a lot.

MudPies 03-02-2018 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 6131490)

If I am washing everything by hand I want a three basin sink, like I grew up with. In the middle is a small shallow area with the disposal and on either side are deeper basins.

This is what I have and love it.

gerberadaisy 03-02-2018 12:13 PM

I was set on a double sink when we did our kitchen remodel but at the last minute decided on a single, deep sink. LOVE it! Would definitely replace with the same. It's an undermount. If I can convince hubby to go on his ebay account I can show you. We got a fairly good deal.

JoannaV 03-02-2018 06:30 PM

I grew up with (small) single. Met doubles in America. :D I like my double. We don't have a dishwasher or disposal. I stack dirty dishes in one side out of the way then can wash in the other side. Also have a strainer on the counter. Some giant things can be slightly awkward to wash but that's a minor problem - overall I like my sink the size it is (with two equal sides).

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

BIL replaced their sink with a single deep one. But they have a dishwasher and when they wash by hand they generally do so under running water. Whereas I fill the sink with water. (Which means I use less soap altogether. #thriftyforlife :lol )

Soliloquy 03-02-2018 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singingmom (Post 6131492)
One of the things I like about a double basin is that someone can wash hands in one side if there are dishes in the other. It doesn't seem sanitary to wash hands over dishes, and there are always some dishes in the large side even though I usually stay on top of things.

Do you mean clean dishes drying in the sink?

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2TMama (Post 6131487)
We do have a double currently and use our dishwasher as much as possible; however, we have a sink strainer in the one side for anything we wash by hand.

Soliloquy, with a single basin...do you suppose you’d have a countertop strainer?

I've had a large, single sink most of my life. I keep my drying rack under the sink in the cupboard. When I need to use it, I have a microfiber drying mat that I put on the counter and the drying rack goes on it. Lately, my drying rack is out more often than it is put away. I don't mind it on the counter. It's stainless steel and modern in design so it looks nice there.

MegMarch 03-02-2018 07:44 PM

This is so interesting. For my handwash, I rinse things well with the sprayer, then I have a little dish that has maybe 1/4c water and a pump or two of soap that I dip my brush or sponge into and scrub things and then I rinse it all with fresh water from the sprayer and set onto a microfiber drying pad thing or towel dry. I have a dishwasher, so this is just for fragile or bulky or not dishwasher safe things.

Soliloquy 03-02-2018 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegMarch (Post 6131547)
This is so interesting. For my handwash, I rinse things well with the sprayer, then I have a little dish that has maybe 1/4c water and a pump or two of soap that I dip my brush or sponge into and scrub things and then I rinse it all with fresh water from the sprayer and set onto a microfiber drying pad thing or towel dry. I have a dishwasher, so this is just for fragile or bulky or not dishwasher safe things.

That's my basic method, too. If I had a large pot that needs cleaning, I'll rinse that out well and use it as my soapy water basin. I used to have a dishpan but I never used it and got rid of it quite a while ago.

Growing up we had a single sink. My mom always used a dishpan for things that needed hand washing. Then she'd wipe it down and put it away under the sink after.

KSL 03-02-2018 08:23 PM

We have in our new home a single extra large and deep farm sink (like a real farm sink that’s cast iron or whatever and painted or sealed white— the people we bought our home from were really into this kind of stuff and salvaged this from a farmhouse— it has slightly angled ribbed flat edges so when you lay things to dry on it, the water drains into the sink).

I absolutely love it. We have a dishwasher but I wash a lot of pots and pans by hand. We have a faucet and a sprayer in sink.

knitlove 03-03-2018 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSL (Post 6131552)
We have in our new home a single extra large and deep farm sink (like a real farm sink that’s cast iron or whatever and painted or sealed white— the people we bought our home from were really into this kind of stuff and salvaged this from a farmhouse— it has slightly angled ribbed flat edges so when you lay things to dry on it, the water drains into the sink).

I absolutely love it. We have a dishwasher but I wash a lot of pots and pans by hand. We have a faucet and a sprayer in sink.

That is the kind of sink I would love!

I think the way you wash dishes has a lot to do with wheather it is the occasional odd thing or everything. When I was washing everything I ran a sink of water. Now that it is o hand full of things a day spaced out though the day I dampen them soap and scrub and then rinse. If it is a pan I will fill that. But I don't ever take the time to fill up the sink for two wooden spoon, a cutting board and the silver ladle.