Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=433)
-   -   Unneutered house cat (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=524819)

arelyn 02-16-2018 12:47 PM

Unneutered house cat

First off: We live in a small city in Asia. It is near impossible to get a cat neutered here. We managed it once, we were the first people to do so to our knowledge (it's late and that is a story for another time) and I don't think it will happen again.

We have been adopted by a super sweet, kid friendly, rat killing, baby tolerating male cat. So far there has been no problem but when he's really happy he'll lift his tail and twitch it. I assume this is prepubescent spraying but I really don't know. He seems pretty young (high voice, super soft fur, skinny neck) but appears full grown (nice and proportionate, almost the same size as our other cat who is huge by local standards so I can't imagine him getting bigger). We've always had neutered cats. How much trouble is it going to be? How much do they actually spray? Anything else we should know?

domesticzookeeper 02-16-2018 01:12 PM

Re: Unneutered house cat

He'll definitely spray, but if he's an indoor and outdoor cat, you'll have a much better chance that he'll confine his spraying to his outdoor territory. He will be territorial.

I don't think there's any reason to expect an increase in aggression toward humans :no But intact male cats are famous for picking knock-down-drag-out fights with each other, and cats are famous for getting gnarly battle wounds from fighting each other, so it might not hurt to keep a basic first aid kit on hand...for him. I'd say gauze and hydrogen peroxide at a bare minimum.

Intact male cats are just a touch more "wild" (for lack of a better term - the line between domestic and feral with cats is very thin) and a lot of the problems that people have with them stem from expecting an intact cat to be happy confined indoors. He's going to want to establish a territory, defend it, kill the rodents, and woo the ladies :shifty He'll likely still be a good cat and very friendly with his people :heart

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

As for his size, intact cats (aided by testosterone) tend to develop *bulk*. So he may pack on more muscle if he's not quite done developing.

arelyn 03-06-2018 11:17 AM

Re: Unneutered house cat

Thanks! That sounds much more doable than my imagination was making me think. And our other prodigal cat is forever wandering off and only coming home when he's been beaten up so this cat really might be no more trouble than our other one.