Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Selling something you're *supposed* to keep forever (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=448501)

ReadingMommy 05-08-2012 09:47 AM

Selling something you're *supposed* to keep forever

I'm thinking about selling my wedding china. It's beautiful, fairly neutral (white and silver) and I love it. But:

-It's very formal and I've hardly had the occasion to use it. We're not really dinner party people:giggle, and if we do have friends over it's pretty casual.
-When I do use it, everything has to be hand-washed. Which discourages me from ever using for big special meals, because the last thing I want to do after cooking all day is spend hours washing dishes.:no
-I don't have the space for it. I sold my china cabinet already. In order to keep it, I will need to pack it in boxes and find somewhere to stick them until at least after we move (and who knows when that will be!).

When I got married, I was young and was used to how things went in my house growing up. My mom always had nice china for holidays and special occasions and I just assumed I would too. So I registered for it and ended up with a big set (at least 10 of everything) but no everyday dishes.:doh Right now, we are using plain white Correlle for everyday, and there is only six of each thing. It works for now.

Back then, I didn't realize that I would take a more practical, minimalist turn. (I don't have the stereotypical streamlined modern aesthetic, but being uncluttered and only keeping what I need has become pretty important to our lives in order for me to feel like I can manage everything.)

Even still, I'm feeling :nails about this decision. Am I going to regret it? Does anybody else have a story about getting rid of something you're supposed to keep forever?

blessedwithboys 05-08-2012 09:50 AM

Re: Selling something you're *supposed* to keep forever

Is it dishwasher safe, so you could start using it for every day? If I could, I would just use it every day and enjoy it. If not, I think I agree that I would sell it and never miss it.

Mother of Sons 05-08-2012 09:51 AM

Could you keep one place setting for display and sell the rest? Or two place settings and use it on your anniversary?

MaiMama 05-08-2012 09:51 AM

Flylady would say that if it isn't blessing your home, then let it go.

People who gave it to you wanted you to have something you wanted (that's why they followed the registry). So I say get something you actually want. :yes

Calliope 05-08-2012 09:53 AM

Keep it until your kids are old enough to wash the dishes for you on holidays. :shifty

ReadingMommy 05-08-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blessedwithboys (Post 4618287)
Is it dishwasher safe, so you could start using it for every day? If I could, I would just use it every day and enjoy it. If not, I think I agree that I would sell it and never miss it.

No it's not. But I DID do this with my nice stainless silverware! We now use it everyday and I sold off the cheaper stuff at a garage sale.:yes

---------- Post added at 12:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 AM ----------

Even the fact that I'm leaning toward selling the china kind of shocks me.:jawdrop A few years ago I would have never, ever considered such a thing. I'm scared this is a phase and that I will regret it. I'm also scared (or maybe feeling prideful) to let go of my "refinements".:giggle We don't have a fancy house or a lot of expensive stuff, so getting rid of most of our "extras" could make me feel less classy and more "poor". Haha, which is ridiculous! But I'm just being honest.:bag

This article is what really got me thinking about this: http://www.missminimalist.com/2011/0...-fantasy-self/

blondie 05-08-2012 10:17 AM

I have my aunt's old china and never use it. I don't even like it. I do have room to store it, but that's the only reason I keep it.

:popcorn to see what you decide.

WanderingJuniper 05-08-2012 11:30 AM

If you are nervous about it set it aside for 3-6 months and if you have no need for it during that time frame sell it.

FWIW, I didn't even register for china b/c I choose to live very casually. The woman helping us with the registry kept pushing it and I kept telling her no. 12 years later and I still have not yet had a need for fancy china. :no

Jessica 05-08-2012 11:33 AM

I would sell it. I'm pretty casual and didn't even register for china, though.

Lily 05-08-2012 11:37 AM

I registered for china because that's what you're supposed to do. After three yrs of it sitting, DH asked if we were ever going to use it. I returned in to the store a week later. We aren't fancy, we aren't dinner party throwing people. So I bought a nice set of every day dishes, several sets of sheets and a two new knives. Stuff I use every day and love instead of stuff sitting in unopened boxes.

Tengokujin 05-08-2012 12:01 PM

I LOVE china, but I also don't have a lifestyle for fancy dinner parties. IF I was investing in china right now, I would choose a design that worked for casual OR fancy because I really like to use fancy things, not save them.

I'd sell it, honestly, and use the money for something that you love for the life that you actually live.

China is an investment, and I don't think there's anything wrong with selling it.

milkmommy 05-08-2012 12:11 PM

I use our china at least weekly but I choose a type that was diswasher safe so I treat it pretty much like casual ware.

Deanna

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord 05-08-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother of Sons (Post 4618291)
Could you keep one place setting for display and sell the rest? Or two place settings and use it on your anniversary?

I really like this idea, if you have 10 place settings then you can keep two and still have enough to sell.

I dont think you will miss it. I think you will feel relieved.

ReadingMommy 05-08-2012 01:56 PM

Eeek! I just listed it on Craigslist, so we'll see if it sells!

I think I'm ready to let it go. I think.:nails

Aisling 05-08-2012 02:02 PM

I really dislike china, so, I say sell. :lol