Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Gentle Discipline *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=420)
-   -   Corrie ten Boom--non-spanking household! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=167890)

RubySlippers 08-10-2006 10:36 AM

Corrie ten Boom--non-spanking household!

Ok, this was one of those things I just *knew* about the ten Boom household, but couldn't find evidence for.
:jump2
I finally found confirmation in this quote from "My Father's House" --Corrie ten Boom with C.C. Carlson:
Quote:

Perhaps it's wrong to tell this today--in view of the permissive way in which many children are being raised--but we were disciplined without spanking. I cannot remember being paddled as a child, but there was no doubt in our family that we were to obey Father. His will was law and we all knew it.
We never spoke about the "line of authority" in our home--it was simply understood. Father didn't have to stand up and say, "I'm the head of this family!" He just was. We never felt any desire to have it any other way, because the love and security of all our relationshiops were built upon the established fact that God was always with us, and He had appointed Casper ten Boom in charge of the mansion in Haarlem called the Beje."
Ok, the last part was funny because they were very poor, but they certainly lived (hospitality) as though they were wealthy. This family was so rich in good works and in love. The tenor of their home...ahhhh...I want that for my home! :happytears :heart

I think it's interesting that she wrote this in 1976 and was concerned about permissiveness, but was definitely not for spanking. It was all about proper authority, properly handled. I haven't been able to read any true GBD books, but have learned so much from her biographies...her grace-based life is such a beautiful testimony. :heart

Mama Calidad 08-10-2006 10:39 AM

Re: Corrie ten Boom--non-spanking household!

Thank you for sharing that! :happytears

erinee 08-10-2006 11:04 AM

What a lovely quote! I always felt they must have been a gentle family. I always love the object lessons he gave her when she would ask questions (like having her try to carry the suitcase when she asked about sexual sin). What an amazing family. :heart

Jemma2 08-10-2006 11:06 AM

I have always admired Corrie and her family. I've read The Hiding Place several times. I've always given her name whenever people ask the question "Who, in history, would you most like to meet."

Bonnie 08-10-2006 11:07 AM

Lovely!

I would like to read this book. I'm vaguely familiar with the history there, but just barely.

flowermama 08-10-2006 11:09 AM

Ooooh! My older children will be thrilled to hear this! We read The Hiding Place together a month or two ago. It's so beautiful how God worked through their family. Thank you for sharing!

Heather Micaela 08-10-2006 11:19 AM

That is awsome!

Joy7 08-10-2006 11:26 AM

I've had that feeling when I've read her books too. They had such a lovely family and I often think of them when I want a mental image of what environment I want for our family (when we are stressed). It's very encouraging!

:heart

Epieikeia 08-10-2006 11:33 AM

She was an amazing woman. :heart

euromom 08-10-2006 01:06 PM

That is really cool to know. I actually got to visit the real "Hidding Place" in Holland and it is an amazing ministry. They still preach reconciliation (her major ministry after the War). The first thing they said to us on our "tour" was "This is not about Corrie Ten Boom, this is about the God of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob!" There is still a Watch Shop on the First floor too :-)

Aisling 08-10-2006 01:12 PM

Thank you so much for sharing this!! :happytears :heart

I've long admired Corrie Ten Boom, her sister, and their entire family dynamic..it makes sense that their family conducted itself this way :amen I've read the Hiding Place..I think I'm going to buy a copy of My Father's House, if for nothing more than to have that quote :heart

canadiyank 08-10-2006 01:13 PM

Wow, thanks!

allycat 08-10-2006 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by euromom
That is really cool to know. I actually got to visit the real "Hidding Place" in Holland and it is an amazing ministry. They still preach reconciliation (her major ministry after the War). The first thing they said to us on our "tour" was "This is not about Corrie Ten Boom, this is about the God of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob!" There is still a Watch Shop on the First floor too :-)

I think it is so neat that they didn't spank!! I too went and saw the "Hiding Place". It was awesome. Such a wonderful testimony there and joyful talk about God. It was wonderful. Then we went to the Anne Frank House and it was totally different and was dismal and hopeless there. Everyone was quiet walking through, whereas at the Corrie Ten boom house there was talking and had a completely different light atmosphere. Totally could feel the presence of God there :)

euromom 08-10-2006 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allycat
Quote:

Originally Posted by euromom

I think it is so neat that they didn't spank!! I too went and saw the "Hiding Place". It was awesome. Such a wonderful testimony there and joyful talk about God. It was wonderful. Then we went to the Anne Frank House and it was totally different and was dismal and hopeless there. Everyone was quiet walking through, whereas at the Corrie Ten boom house there was talking and had a completely different light atmosphere. Totally could feel the presence of God there :)

Yes! I went to both too and felt the same! Actually at the "Hidding Place" they asked if any of us had been to the Anne Frank House and told us that "the difference between there (Anne Frank House) and here (Hidding Place) was that the Anne Frank House ended in death but at the Hidding Place ALL the Jews that came through escaped and there was LIFE!" Like you said, you can really feel the difference between the two and I agree, the Presence of God was truely there at the "Hidding Place" :amen

Mollycurls 08-11-2006 07:13 AM

Wow!! Thanks for sharing that :tu I really needed to read that this morning....