Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=402)
-   -   Sunscreen fail? extra sunny? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=529619)

KarenBoo 07-08-2021 02:01 AM

Sunscreen fail? extra sunny?

OK, this is just weird, and I also feel like I should be "expert level" with all of this because I live in FL.

I normally buy the "natural" brand of sunscreens. I have a lot of it. It gets tucked away in many places. Some in the house, some lives in the car, some in the beach bag, etc.

But we actually don't wear it much. Usually we go to the beach in the late afternoons, and not for very long. Because of 1) having a lot and 2) not wearing it much, I've had most of my tubes for a few years now.

But we went to the beach for the day on July 5. My sister and her family came to visit. We all used my sunscreen. (Badger tinted for the face, and Babyganics brand on the upper body. Nothing on legs.)

DH never wears sunscreen, and didn't that day. We'll call him the "control group.":giggle

We all re-applied more frequently than usual - about every 1-2 hours. We also spent more time in the water than usual. It was a GREAT day!! (We have umbrellas to sit under for when we are out of the water.)

We are all burned. (Nobody got sunburn, or even tan, on the legs because the legs were in the water most of the time.) I'm pretty sure nobody blistered. (Increased acne in the teens due to all of the greasing up! Could be a blister or two in there that I don't know about.) Except, Kitten and I have blistered, burned, and swollen lips, which has just never happened before. We have fish lips! (And also odd - they didn't swell until 2 days after!) DH didn't burn as much as the rest of us.:jawdrop

So, what is going on? Is all of my sunscreen expired? Was it just extra sunny that day? I mean, we see this happening to the tourists. You can always know the tourists by their red burns on top of the very white skin. We see this right after winter! I figured they just weren't wearing sunscreen, but maybe their sunscreen is failing too?

Normally my sunscreen works, but it really has been a very long time since we've spent that long at the beach. We normally don't spend all day because we just go when we want. Having guests, we stayed a lot longer.

We all have a base tan.

I really would like to know others' experiences with sunscreen, and especially natural ones. It seems to me that "barrier products" (with zinc and titanium dioxide) couldn't really "expire" because I don't think those things would break down. But, I don't know why it all failed???

heartofjoy 07-08-2021 07:04 AM

Re: Sunscreen fail? extra sunny?

We've had sunscreen fail before. It was like chemical burns! We're used to sun too in Texas. But this was a store brand regular sunscreen. Nothing natural.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

ValiantJoy07 07-08-2021 10:52 AM

In my experience with natural sunscreens you have to reapply every 30 minutes or they fail. :sigh

After the first 30 minutes we wear long sleeve rash guards with SPF 50 protection and keep our legs in the water or under a shade as much as possible. If we keep the rash guards wet we're perfectly comfortable (maybe even cold) even on hot beach days (we live in Flordia now too) At the beach, after the first hour (they all have a solid base tan and I like them to get as much uninterrupted Vitamin D as possible) I put the zinc oxide natural stuff under my kids eyes, on their chins and foreheads every 30 minutes. My littlest is fair and I'm terrified of burning him so I slather his hands and lower legs a few times too just in case. One time we were at the beach the entire day and the girls upper legs got a bit crisped because they were kneeling in the shallows a lot with the top of their legs exposed but that was in NJ and only happened once.

ECingMama 07-08-2021 12:37 PM

We apply 20 minutes prior to water exposure or they are useless, IME. We apply prior to going.

I do think they probably do expire though.

KarenBoo 07-08-2021 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECingMama (Post 6253874)
We apply 20 minutes prior to water exposure or they are useless, IME. We apply prior to going.

I do think they probably do expire though.

I was researching that part, and my understanding is that the barrier products are effective immediately. Have you accidentally "experimented" with the barrier products and found that it's helpful to wait that 20 minutes?

Soliloquy 07-08-2021 01:41 PM

I throw all my sunscreen out at the end of summer and buy fresh every spring. I've gotten horrible burns from using last year's tube/can.

My favorite is Alba Botanica Hawaii-safe SPF 50. I burn very easily. On me, it really does last 80 minutes in the water. Other brands I reapply hourly.

Pragmatist 07-08-2021 02:27 PM

I live in Colorado where the altitude causes you to burn more quickly. I use Badger sunscreen for exposed areas but I also cover up because otherwise I will burn regardless of reapplying sunscreen. I wear long sleeved rash guard, swim leggings, and sunhat whenever I am on/in the water.

deena 07-08-2021 04:03 PM

A few days ago my husband and I got a mild burn being outside all day in 70 degree weather in the northern US. My husband keeps saying the sun is getting stronger and I'm starting to wonder if he is right.

tempus vernum 11-12-2021 09:43 AM

I do believe the suns affects are changing not sure why or how.

I burn horribly and especially with water. I’m
Also chronically Vitamin D deficient even in the summer .

I attempt To Go Out every sunny day regardless of temperature and spend 20 minutes in indirect sunlight in a sports bra and biker shorts every day on the privacy of my deck. I just did this Sunday even though it was only 40 degrees. I am considering a heated Blanket to sit on for Winter as long as it is sunny :giggle

I also walk around in sundresses and I think I’m Going To get A parasol next year to Avoid excessive use of sunscreen. I apply after 20 minutes and reapply every hour if I’m outside

Soliloquy 11-12-2021 11:52 AM

Putting Admin Hat On

A post was removed from this thread for admin review.

KarenBoo 11-12-2021 03:54 PM

Thank you Lisa! I didn't know what to make of that post, and actually, I didn't know how to bring it to the attention of an admin. :shrug3

Soliloquy 11-12-2021 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenBoo (Post 6261406)
Thank you Lisa! I didn't know what to make of that post, and actually, I didn't know how to bring it to the attention of an admin. :shrug3

It was spam. Report button is the fastest way.