Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=433)
-   -   dog walking (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=526639)

Little Forest 02-05-2019 03:05 AM

dog walking

My 11 yr old is interested to do a bit of dog walking in the neighborhood so I was going to help her make flyers. But, we do not know about dogs. How long is a typical walk? I was wondering if we should price it in 15 min increments, how does that sound?

Would appreciate if dog owners could weigh in on this. And I know that people probably like to walk their own dogs themselves but she really wants to try to do this.

ThreeKids 02-05-2019 05:22 AM

Re: dog walking

People are fine with others walking their dogs from time to time. Dog walking path and length of travel vary with the dog. Sometimes they just want the dog to relieve themselves, sometimes it's a dog that can't get much exercise other ways. She'd probably be doing it when the owner is home but trying to get ready to leave at first, but once trust is built, being able to unlock someone's house and retrieve the dog so they can be walked when the owner is gone is a valuable service.

Little Forest 02-05-2019 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThreeKids (Post 6170830)
People are fine with others walking their dogs from time to time. Dog walking path and length of travel vary with the dog. Sometimes they just want the dog to relieve themselves, sometimes it's a dog that can't get much exercise other ways. She'd probably be doing it when the owner is home but trying to get ready to leave at first, but once trust is built, being able to unlock someone's house and retrieve the dog so they can be walked when the owner is gone is a valuable service.

Thanks, yes. So do you think 15 minute increments are good, or would 5 or 10 min increments be better, some walks 10 min, some 20, some 30? Not sure of the range of what people might need would be.

ThreeKids 02-05-2019 05:48 AM

I don't know. I'd let the owner decide and charge accordingly.

twoplustwo 02-05-2019 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Forest (Post 6170832)
Thanks, yes. So do you think 15 minute increments are good, or would 5 or 10 min increments be better, some walks 10 min, some 20, some 30? Not sure of the range of what people might need would be.

I have only had big dogs AND a large fenced yard, so ymmv. I would think 15 minutes increments at a minimum. I wouldn't bother to pay someone to walk my dog for less than that. And honestly, if I were to pay someone I would think 30-60 minutes. Or maybe 20 minutes increments?

DD pet sits, so also maybe bill herself as a pet sitter and dog walker?

domesticzookeeper 02-05-2019 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThreeKids (Post 6170833)
I don't know. I'd let the owner decide and charge accordingly.

:yes

I think 15 minute increments makes good sense, and might make it easier for her to keep track of the schedule. I would also pay for a good 30 minute walk, possibly an hour.

ThreeKids 02-05-2019 06:27 AM

Each visit would have some overhead in logistics, especially with how hard it is to catch people at home these days. That's part of why 3-20 minute increments is worth way more than a one hour walk.

Little Forest 02-05-2019 07:47 AM

Thanks. That is very helpful to know.

HomeWithMyBabies 02-05-2019 10:28 AM

I never had a dog walking service but if I did I would want to pay by distance. Some dogs stop and sniff, and that's part of the walk, but it can add time that isn't getting their exercise needs met. Especially if it's a breed of dog that needs to burn off energy, I'd pay by the mile. That's about a brisk twenty minutes with no stops.

Soliloquy 02-05-2019 01:40 PM

I wouldn't pay for anything less than fifteen minutes.

I'd also have her watch some YouTube videos about the proper way to hold the leash so she can correct/command the dog properly without hurting it or herself. And some dogs aren't trained and will pull on the leash no matter what you do. So she should either be ready for that or be ready to tell a client that she won't take their dog out again. Most people that hire a dog service will have easy going dogs, though, I would think. I remember having a few tough jobs when I was a kid, though, with a strong dog that weighed about as much as I did and wasn't trained.

domesticzookeeper 02-05-2019 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomeWithMyBabies (Post 6170866)
I never had a dog walking service but if I did I would want to pay by distance. Some dogs stop and sniff, and that's part of the walk, but it can add time that isn't getting their exercise needs met. Especially if it's a breed of dog that needs to burn off energy, I'd pay by the mile. That's about a brisk twenty minutes with no stops.

My only objection to this would be that if she does get a meandering, easily distracted dog, she'll be losing money on that dog vs. a more focused one.

I don't know :think I see a dog walking service as an opportunity for a dog to get out of the house, stretch their legs, and sniff the trees. If I know my dog to be both distractable and in need of a good walk, I'd just pay for the bigger chunk of time :shrug3

HomeWithMyBabies 02-05-2019 04:17 PM

I have an active dog so that colors my opinion. Stopping for a sniff here and there is expected but if we don't cover some ground she'll be unruly later, so I walk pretty fast to get more distance in less time. Most services go by time but someone could mosey along for twenty minutes and it won't put a dent in my dog's energy level.

CelticJourney 02-05-2019 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Forest (Post 6170824)
....But, we do not know about dogs. ....

I'm a big dog person and, like others, have a fence and actually wouldn't have someone else walk them because....well, big dog...so I have no advice about time. But I would advise you both spend some time learning about dogs and their body language. Scared, happy, aggressive can look similar. Prepare her for things like 'what to do if someone asks if they can pet the dog' (she needs to ask the owners, dog may be a fear biter) 'what to do if another dog approaches' etc.....

tempus vernum 02-05-2019 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CelticJourney (Post 6170891)
I'm a big dog person and, like others, have a fence and actually wouldn't have someone else walk them because....well, big dog...so I have no advice about time. But I would advise you both spend some time learning about dogs and their body language. Scared, happy, aggressive can look similar. Prepare her for things like 'what to do if someone asks if they can pet the dog' (she needs to ask the owners, dog may be a fear biter) 'what to do if another dog approaches' etc.....

I'm a dog person and I also wouldn't allow anyone else to walk them ;) BUT when we hire dog sitters, we REQUIRE people know about dogs and have experience with dogs. So I highly suggest she get experience w dogs first. Volunteer at an animal shelter specifically with the dogs. Dogs are amazing and fun but can also be unruly and wild if not treated firmly. When they "meet" (see) other dogs and they start humping or growling, it can be difficult to deal with depending on the animal ;)

My ds was walking a neighbors' dog at 15 and stopped after a few weeks because certain dogs just DO NOT obey him because they don't get walked. He was used to our trained pooches and their pleasant strolls. :giggle