Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=416)
-   -   A radical idea - viewing kids as babies till 5 (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=271358)

Allison 09-22-2008 03:18 AM

Re: A radical idea - viewing kids as babies till 5

I totally agree, Heather. I know I've made some mamas mad by telling them that their two year old was still a baby and not to expect so much. I try not to do that but sometimes we don't realize that "big kid" takes a long time to accomplish.

I am amazed at my newly seven year old because his behaviour is often more grown up than I would expect from a seven year old. Another mom told me that I was going to adore eight. lol

Oliveshoots 09-22-2008 06:47 AM

I love this thread and I need several of you to just hang out with me and the kids all day long to REMIND me of this continually!!! :lol

Where exactly is that scripture passage? I had found it once before but never can remember. IIRC it is either in Lev., Deut., one of the Kings or one of the Chrons (that really narrows it down, huh?) Okay, so I KNOW it's in the OT!!!

Dana, I love that info the teacher shared.

20/20 did a thing a few years ago on the development of the frontal lobe (impulse, judgement) and talked about how that might be why teens/early 20somethings may be more likely to do risky and life-threatening behavior, and may contribute to the whole "invincible" mind-set. Fasinating!!!!

Carrie in PA 09-23-2008 04:24 AM

I think people did understand this until the last century or two. I remember reading a book about Abraham Lincoln several years ago, and it talked about the clothes he wore (which were baby clothes) until the age of 5 because 0-5yos were considered babies still. And think about how in the "old days" children didn't go to school until age 8 or so....like in the Little House on the Prairie books. As with most of the old wisdom, it has been forgotten in our modern age of "enlightment". :rolleyes

I had a PM conversation with Crystal a few years ago about the Age of Accountability being 21 and it was totally eye-opening to me, and made so much sense. And child development evidence does back this up. Why are we (our society) always in such a rush for these little children to grow up? It makes me feel more valuable and necessary as a mom to remember how much they need patience and understanding and my guidance for YEARS. :heart

Thanks, Heather, for posting this. It is a great reminder! :heart

Heather Micaela 09-23-2008 04:28 AM

I am so glad this is blessing people. :heart

Is this worth stickying? (I feel weird asking that about my own thread :O)

La Loba 09-23-2008 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heather Micaela
I am so glad this is blessing people. :heart

Is this worth stickying? (I feel weird asking that about my own thread :O)

I say yes, yes, YES!!! :yes

Thank you so much for posting this-- I needed to read this today. It has been a tremendous blessing :heart :heart I will come back to it often..

liamum 09-23-2008 04:36 AM

Thanks, Heather- this is so true! Great insights.

Oliveshoots 09-23-2008 07:28 AM

I vote YES to making this a sticky :tu

IslandHome 09-23-2008 05:03 PM

Thanks so much for this thread. It was just what I needed reading today after a night of DS needing me to hold his hand all night :)

GlacierLily 09-24-2008 02:31 PM

sorry to repeat but can someone tell me where the info came from? i want to share with dh. :)

ArmsOfLove 09-24-2008 02:57 PM

It's not really from one resource but from a compilation of research. This is a lot of what I've been studying for years. If you read my book Grace-Based Living I go into this. Samuel Martin talks about this in his book (I think you can download it) "Spare the Rod". You can do research on Jewish view of children and Classical theory of education :)

GlacierLily 09-24-2008 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove
It's not really from one resource but from a compilation of research. This is a lot of what I've been studying for years. If you read my book Grace-Based Living I go into this. Samuel Martin talks about this in his book (I think you can download it) "Spare the Rod". You can do research on Jewish view of children and Classical theory of education :)

thank you! :) :heart

fourbygrace 09-24-2008 10:01 PM

This thread has given me peace to go to sleep tonight with much less frustration than I felt when I logged on to GCM!

How insightful! Thanks for sharing!

Now I have more motivation to finish reading Crystal's books and stop letting things distract me. ;)

Mary

KnittingHappy 09-25-2008 04:53 AM

I wish I had understood this when Taryn was little. :(

With Landon it has been something I've naturally gravitated toward because he is my last "baby" and he is still nursing. I've found it is easier to keep in that "he is still a baby" mindset because of EN. It has kept us more cloesly bonded than I was with my other two at this age. Taryn only bf for a week and Nicholas self-weaned at 25 1/2 months. I've never had a nursling this old (4 in December). I do have to have DH read this. He tends to think children are just little adults and gets frustrated so easily with them.

I'll be referring to this post often for the excellent reminders!

FaithfilledGranolaChick 09-25-2008 04:59 AM

Thank you for posting :heart

ValiantJoy07 09-26-2008 05:18 AM

You put that so well! Thank you for sharing that. :rockon