Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   GD Info and FAQs *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=526)
-   -   s/o parenting self-talk (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=341475)

thrillofhope 10-16-2013 04:24 PM

Re: s/o parenting self-talk

Quote:

Originally Posted by J3K (Post 5505653)
It was a real turning point for me allowing my kids to correct me.

Yep. When I realized I was yelling all the time and my kids were copying me, the first thing I did was sit down and tell them, "It's not okay for us to yell. If mommy yells I want you to tell me." Now when my voice is starting to creep up DD(4) says, "Uh uh mommy. Don't yell." It helps.

J3K 10-17-2013 08:17 AM

I had more people stop and say "You're training her to always defy you." :rolleyes

My answer , every single time , "Would you allow anyone to stand in your face using their size to intimidate you and scream ? If the answer is yes , we need to have a serious talk about boundaries. If the answer is no , then I ask why wouldn't a child, a defenseless child , have the same rights ?"

ShepherdsWife 10-17-2013 11:31 AM

I just made it through the WHOLE thing!!!!!! I LOVE this thread. I have only began to realize recently the extent of abuse I had as a child. This, THIS is what I need to re-parent myself and be vulnerable enough to parent my child the way I wish I had been parented. Being able to be weak and do this is the challenge because I wasn't allowed emotions...hard, so, so hard and so worth it. :pray4

Maggirayne 10-21-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mokamoto (Post 5100508)
I had a lightbulb moment yesterday- I am impatient and tough on my kids when I'm feeling like I did something poorly or I'm thinking about an interaction that didn't go as I liked. If I start with giving myself grace, acknowledging my feelings and parenting myself, I'll parent them better as well. I've always been one to internalize criticisms and worries and repeat them endlessly. I can be really hard on myself.

Met too. :hugheart
Quote:

Originally Posted by JenniferM (Post 5258702)
As a newbie, I have found this thread helpful and encouraging.
Helpful - I've already started teaching myself so I can respond more gracefully.
Encouraging - I have a legitimate reason to talk to myself!:D

Also, it helps me to know that others struggle with similar things. I was hesitant about joining this group because I thought maybe it was filled with moms that are gentle and kind and never get angry or yell at their kids.... It's much more helpful to see that it is filled with moms who do get angry and regretfully yell at their kids while pursuing gentleness and kindness!
Thank You!:clap
Jennifer

:roll Oh yeah, we're allllll human here. ;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by J3K (Post 5506338)
I had more people stop and say "You're training her to always defy you." :rolleyes

My answer , every single time , "Would you allow anyone to stand in your face using their size to intimidate you and scream ? If the answer is yes , we need to have a serious talk about boundaries. If the answer is no , then I ask why wouldn't a child, a defenseless child , have the same rights ?"

Right?! :rolleyes2 :sigh
:clap I wish I had you in my pocket for all the stupid things people say.

allymom 11-21-2013 04:20 PM

Subbing and going back through to read this whole thread.

kindundmama 05-23-2014 01:50 PM

New here. And I happened to click on this thread and realized so many things about myself and why, where, and how I am lacking in being a better parent. Oh my goodness! I read 8 pages and will continue later but I have to say a big thank you to all the members who have helped me understand so much about myself, feelings, and validation. Thank you a 1000 times.

Living My Dream 05-23-2014 01:57 PM

Subbing to read later. Thanks!

Maggirayne 05-25-2014 03:41 PM

This is one of my favourite threads ever.

Meriby 09-12-2014 10:03 PM

This is a great thread and really has me thinking about how I talk to myself and how my parents talked/talk to me.