Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=402)
-   -   Give me your thoughts on SUV vs minivan (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=528606)

kiloyd 06-13-2020 06:12 PM

Give me your thoughts on SUV vs minivan

Have had a minivan for 13 years. Looking at getting an SUV

MaybeGracie 06-13-2020 06:18 PM

Re: Give me your thoughts on SUV vs minivan

I prefer the minivan. Sliding doors are a huge plus for me. Cargo space with all rows up would be something I'd seriously consider. Having driven both, I prefer the size/feel of a van over an SUV.

Virginia 06-13-2020 06:36 PM

If I could afford it, minivan. Much more practical and I don’t care about the stigma at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aerynne 06-13-2020 07:03 PM

I have a minivan. I wouldn’t do SUV. I like sliding doors and generally minivans have more trunk space.

CelticJourney 06-13-2020 07:10 PM

We've had SUVs ever since the kids got big enough. We like to travel into some very strange places :shifty

knitlove 06-13-2020 07:35 PM

I don't like SUV because I am short and often don't fit the seats ( like not passing the steps to move out of a booster) and have issue seeing out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

MegMarch 06-13-2020 08:06 PM

Minivan. It's been my dream car since pre-kids. Sliding doors. So much space. SLIDING DOORS.

kiloyd 06-13-2020 08:27 PM

I don't know why I don't run out and buy another Odyssey.

I do some horsie things like driving down a dirt road/driveway to feed. Do it in my van but a little bit ground clearance I think would be nice.

I think I am afraid of the change (stupid personality).

Lady Grey 06-13-2020 09:43 PM

I love my minivan.

marbles 06-13-2020 10:10 PM

SUVs are fine, we've done both, but minivans are so much easier with kids. Especially with any in car seats. Even not though, minivans have the space to hold kid things and are more comfortable/roomy/open in the back seats. Also not a fan of feeling so disconnected from the road in the bigger SUVs. Cars are important to me, not gonna lie that my van just gets me where I need to go, it's not the most fun ride. But it is worlds better than the SUV (and sedan) I drove before in every other way having to do with family toting.

twoplustwo 06-14-2020 03:42 AM

I prefer Mini-van. More square footage for less money.

WanderingJuniper 06-14-2020 05:09 AM

We have only had SUVs as our family vehicle for the last 17 years. 4 wd, trailer hitch and roof rack, better ground clearance and larger engine has been essential to our choice of recreation. I prefer how they ride as well compared to minivans. I get carsick really easily and have never been able to ride in the backseat of a minivan without an issue. The stiffer suspension of our SUVs have prevented some travel sickness issues over the years for us.

MrsHutch 06-14-2020 06:25 AM

Your kids are older, so while I liked the convenience of a minivan with a carload of little kids, I'm going to buck the trend here and say go for the SUV. Back when we only had one kid, I had a Ford Explorer V8 and LOVED IT.

mamaKristin 06-14-2020 12:31 PM

I've been driving my minivan since 2005. It will not run forever (or will it....? :shifty).
I'd love to replace it with an SUV, but it's still hard to imagine not having my van. I love the space, and that we can all fit in it for a road trip, plus luggage. It's also been paid for for 10 years, so adding a vehicle payment is a little scary too.

When the van does go off to the big sleep, I'd like to replace it with a smaller SUV. In another year or so, we could probably transition our family to a 5 seater vehicle more easily. So I'm going to keep my eye on how this is going for you!

kiloyd 06-14-2020 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaKristin (Post 6221050)
I've been driving my minivan since 2005. It will not run forever (or will it....? :shifty).
I'd love to replace it with an SUV, but it's still hard to imagine not having my van. I love the space, and that we can all fit in it for a road trip, plus luggage. It's also been paid for for 10 years, so adding a vehicle payment is a little scary too.

When the van does go off to the big sleep, I'd like to replace it with a smaller SUV. In another year or so, we could probably transition our family to a 5 seater vehicle more easily. So I'm going to keep my eye on how this is going for you!

Mine has been paid off for 8 years! But been costing some money in repairs the past 2.

I looked up this morning, the Odyssey has 4.5" ground clearance and the Traverse has 8". I want the Traverse.