Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Gentle Discipline *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=420)
-   -   Almost 3 yo hitting and throwing major tantrums over food. (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=453746)

OperaDivaMom 07-02-2012 02:46 PM

Almost 3 yo hitting and throwing major tantrums over food.

I am about to lose my mind over this issue. We have always been pretty laid back about food and mealtimes. Lately, DS will eat a little, and put some in a random spot and tell me it has to stay there. He NEVER comes back to eat it, but if I put it away or eat it so it won't go to waste, he throws an epic tantrum and acts like I just killed his puppy. He has smacked me across the face more than once over this.

Wasting food is not an option right now, we just can't afford it. Has anyone dealt with this and figured out a good solution?

Annainprogress 07-02-2012 03:36 PM

Re: Almost 3 yo hitting and throwing major tantrums over food.

I don't know it it will help, but the only thing I can think off the top of my head is have food be on your plate and he just takes a bite rather than him have his item. Or agree with him a place he can put it and only there. And a lot of reflection of big feelings "you're feeling like your life is out of your control and you want to control this. Mummy loves you and will always have food when you need it but now it's time to put food away until you're next hungry" and anticipate and have your arms ready to lock gently around his arms/body so he can't hit

maybe not much help :shifty but I didn't want to leave the thread unanswered :hug

filmgirl2911 07-02-2012 05:29 PM

Don't have any specific btdt advice, but couldn't read without at least :hug

Is there any way you can give him a choice of where to put the food and if it's perishable, then that place is in the fridge. Tell him he can have it whenever he wants, but you don't want it to go bad and make him feel yucky.

And maybe, as a compromise, could you put out a nibble tray that has things that won't spoil - some raisins, a few grapes, some popcorn or nuts, etc.?

Maybe he can even help pick out 2 or 3 things for the nibble tray and he can decide what spot to put it.

Hang in there, sweet mama :hug

oh, and I echo what Annainprogress said about being ready to hold his hands / arms so he cannot hit you. And tell him kindly but firmly that he may not hurt himself or others when he is angry.

When not in the heat of the moment, you might also try helping him with ways that are okay for dealing with his BIG feelings of frustration or anger.

:hug :heart

WingsOfTheMorning 07-02-2012 07:31 PM

My newly 4 year old is obsessed with having "leftovers." :scratch If it's not perishable I let her leave it out on the table until the next time for eating. If its perishable, then we put it in the fridge.

Would it help to give him smaller servings so he has less leftover?

I don't usually eat her leftovers unless she gives me permission.

:hug

L-Boogie 07-03-2012 11:10 AM

Hmm, a couple ideas:

-a "food only at the table" rule and sit until you're finished then help mommy put it in the fridge.

- don't get close enough for him to reach you when you know he is angry, or hold his hands. When my niece went through a hitting phase, I would pick her up so that her bum was on my hip and then use my hand to hold her hand as she flailed.

New rules don't usually go over smoothly at first, but usually help after a couple days of consistency. :heart