Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=422)
-   -   Gameschooling (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=525072)

gerberadaisy 04-01-2018 06:09 PM

Gameschooling

Has anyone done this? I'm not really looking to do this as a way to homeschool exclusively but my son loves board games so I'm looking for some of the best educational ones out there. I found this list & I've been adding to my amazon wishlist & some of them we already have. He is six but can play some games for 8+. He's not yet reading but enjoys reading comprehension games - which is awesome because otherwise he doesn't "comprehend" much during school (ie, if it's not exactly what he wants to do, he can't seem to remember a thing). Any great, educational games that your kids have loved? Even older games because I'd like to be able to use games going forward as well so even if they're for older kiddos let me know.

Thanks.

blondie 04-01-2018 08:17 PM

Re: Gameschooling

We game pretty hard. :giggle I started learning about gameschooling in the fall and It has been AMAZING. SHifted our family culture, almost. We play a lot of games together and watch way less TV. We don't do it instead of school, but in addition to school. It has been a blast.

I'll go read the linked list and come back with some ideas.

gerberadaisy 04-01-2018 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blondie (Post 6135111)
We game pretty hard. :giggle I started learning about gameschooling in the fall and It has been AMAZING. SHifted our family culture, almost. We play a lot of games together and watch way less TV. We don't do it instead of school, but in addition to school. It has been a blast.

I'll go read the linked list and come back with some ideas.

He's always asking for a game night & we play games at least 5 out of 7 days a week. We did one day recently where we did play instead of school. I'm thinking of incorporating a game day about once a month or at least every other month.

I hate Monopoly but bought him a Monopoly card game for his Easter basket. I can see myself playing that with him a lot once he gets the hang of it. He loves our old games from when we were kids & has played scrabble & checkers with his 86 year old grandmother & her friends. I'm hoping to do this more often so we can lay off the TV & tablet a little more often.

blondie 04-01-2018 09:01 PM

Monopoly Deal? It's super fun. I havent taught my kids that one yet.

Some I play with my 6yo often are : Rat a Tat Cat, Stratego, The Magic Labyrinth, Slamwich.

That list is great, we have a handful of the ones she mentioned. The gameschool community on FB is really great for ideas and Ive also started checking thrift stores for games! Ive scored some good deals.

mommylove 04-02-2018 06:34 AM

https://www.excellenceineducation.com/category/FI.html

This is a great resource. The owners of this store have written a book (which I have) that lists games by subject and grade level.

MaybeGracie 04-02-2018 05:26 PM

We've had periods of "gameschooling", where we do a lot less formal instruction and spend time each day playing board games. Some of the best:

Dragonwood
Sleeping Queens
Rat-a-Tat-Cat
Timeline (History) and Cardline (Animals)
Outfoxed
Zooloretto
Castle Panic
Forbidden Island
Catan Dice

gerberadaisy 04-02-2018 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blondie (Post 6135116)
Monopoly Deal? It's super fun. I havent taught my kids that one yet.

Some I play with my 6yo often are : Rat a Tat Cat, Stratego, The Magic Labyrinth, Slamwich.

That list is great, we have a handful of the ones she mentioned. The gameschool community on FB is really great for ideas and Ive also started checking thrift stores for games! Ive scored some good deals.

yes, Monopoly Deal. so far he has won every round. of course we help him a bit but once he catches on he'll be brutal. I'll check out the fb group.

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaybeGracie (Post 6135252)
We've had periods of "gameschooling", where we do a lot less formal instruction and spend time each day playing board games. Some of the best:

Dragonwood
Sleeping Queens
Rat-a-Tat-Cat
Timeline (History) and Cardline (Animals)
Outfoxed
Zooloretto
Castle Panic
Forbidden Island
Catan Dice

thanks. i'll have to check out Catan further. even if not for him, i think i'd like it.

ECingMama 04-02-2018 09:43 PM

I just organized all our kid books and games into 12 tubs. One for each month. We plan to play, play, play. And read, read, read! Then purge what doesn't work. Repeat each month!

mamacat 04-03-2018 09:33 AM

Have not looked at the extensive list but some of our favs: Battleship, Scrabble Jr.,Apples to Apples Jr. 'Banangrams

gerberadaisy 04-03-2018 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamacat (Post 6135313)
Have not looked at the extensive list but some of our favs: Battleship, Scrabble Jr.,Apples to Apples Jr. 'Banangrams

didn't know about apples to apples Jr. The rest are either on the list or we have them.

knitlove 04-04-2018 05:19 AM

We have lots of games.

Catan

Pandymic - my 8 year old loves this game it is a coopertive adult game so it works to have her play because we are all working to gether.

Carcassone - we just got the kids ' my first carcassone' I find it a but anoyinf but it is a game I could hand to a group of 4, 4to 8 year olds to play alone. When we play as a family it will be the adult game

Manza - this my all time favorite kid game.

Master mind

Forbidden island

Labetenth

Out foxes - this is a kid game that good

Rase to the treasure

We just got Aquarious - it is a fun card game

Set

Tsuro

Spot it

We have more but I think that is all we have pulled out in the last month or so.

Some spacificly for school.

Mobi - is kind of like the math version of bananna grams

Apple letters

Q- bits - we have both the normal and the Jr.

Mancala

Abalon - I haven't worked with the girls much in this but they pull it down to play

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

gerberadaisy 04-04-2018 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 6135426)
We have lots of games.

Catan

Pandymic - my 8 year old loves this game it is a coopertive adult game so it works to have her play because we are all working to gether.

Carcassone - we just got the kids ' my first carcassone' I find it a but anoyinf but it is a game I could hand to a group of 4, 4to 8 year olds to play alone. When we play as a family it will be the adult game

Manza - this my all time favorite kid game.

Master mind

Forbidden island

Labetenth

Out foxes - this is a kid game that good

Rase to the treasure

We just got Aquarious - it is a fun card game

Set

Tsuro

Spot it

We have more but I think that is all we have pulled out in the last month or so.

Some spacificly for school.

Mobi - is kind of like the math version of bananna grams

Apple letters

Q- bits - we have both the normal and the Jr.

Mancala

Abalon - I haven't worked with the girls much in this but they pull it down to play

how hard is mancala to learn? i've always been interested. My lo would definitely like it.

sprout 04-04-2018 01:04 PM

following

knitlove 04-04-2018 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerberadaisy (Post 6135481)
how hard is mancala to learn? i've always been interested. My lo would definitely like it.

Oh not hard at all, wiggle worm has been playing ( not always well but correctly) sence she was 3. And you can make your own with egg carton and beans or pebbles.

https://artscrackers.com/2013/04/05/egg-carton-mancala/

Soliloquy 04-04-2018 02:02 PM

I absolutely love:

Set
Skip-Bo
Blokus

I will play those just about any time with my kids. They also like:

Catan
Carcasonne
Labyrinth (I change the rules so it doesn't take forever)
Yam Slam (similar to yatzee but with chips instead of a score sheet)
Sumoku
Kwixx -- a great dice game!
Ticket to Ride
Sushi Go (we have the party edition)
Pandemic
Betrayal on the House on the Hill. The LOVE this but it might be scary for some kids.

And some others I'm forgetting. They play chess, too. As I think of others I'll add them.

The next games I plan to buy are Love Letter and 13 Minutes.