Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   kombucha 101 thread! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=423094)

domesticzookeeper 04-07-2012 07:06 PM

Re: kombucha 101 thread! *another new question #63 and 64*

Yeah, that's what I use. A cookie glass jar with a cloth on top:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...2/IMG_2115.jpg

Soliloquy 04-08-2012 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treehugginmama (Post 4561082)
Thanks. Maybe it did it during the second step (the 5 days before I put them in the fridge?

:yes btw, it's 100% fine to consume them. I give them to my kids as they have the consistency of gummy candy. Pets love them, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by treehugginmama (Post 4561064)
I went to get a finished Kombucha from the fridge. My first homemade one and there's a little Scoby on top. It's so cute, but is that normal? I took it off and drank a bit and it tastes good but I didn't think there should be SCOBY on top so I put it to the side for now.

It's perfectly normal, it means your culture is strong and healthy.

---------- Post added at 07:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by domesticzookeeper (Post 4561103)
I can't get mine to stop growing little scobies :doh I put the bottles in the fridge, I even filter the kombucha through a tea cloth, and I still have to fish slimy little pancakes out of my cup before drinking :shifty :lol

It's because you're a good kombucha grandma. Slimy pancakes are good for you. :lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dovenoir (Post 4561260)
For those who are brewing more than one gallon at a time, where are you getting your supplies??

I'm doing a batch of grape juice and apple ginger as my second ferment. I love ginger and it seems to be doing well. I wish DH wasn't so squeamish.

I also wish I knew more about the microbiology of it.... I get squicked out still at the idea of ferments, or potentially ruining it.

I use multiple glass jars, I have 11 going right now. I get them for $3 a piece at a little hfs and I have a few I got free the way cobluegitl said. I've considered a continuous brew system but since we're going to move this year I haven't looked into it thoroughly.

The microbiology, I :heart this quote from Dom's site
Quote:

If I understand you, I agree. Kombucha has the ability to mutate to fit the needs of the person making the ferments. Handling the colonies leaves personal bacteria on the colony and hence in the ferment. Kombucha will either incorporate the 'good' bacteria or produce an anti-bacteria to fight the bad ones. The effect is that the kombucha ferment mutates to help the specific health of the person preparing it. I think this is why kombucha can apparently help so many diverse health conditions. I am not at all sure that kombucha is not a direct gift from God since it can not survive without direct help from man. :o)
http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kombucha.htm

Hopetobe 04-08-2012 09:19 PM

We hadn't been brewing Kombucha very long when we had to leave quickly for a family issue in another state. We were gone for almost 2.5 weeks, but weren't expecting to be gone that long. I had read on a couple of sites to NOT refridgerate the SCOBY, but to leave it in it's juice to hibernate in a dark place. Well, we were in a rush and left it on the table where it gets some light but not direct. We got back today and I glanced at it. DH had left it kinda squished in a half gallon jar (SCOBY fits in a gallon jar that is a little wider). Anyway, it appeared to have spots on top that could be white mold :(. I know you are supposed to throw out any moldy SCOBYs. I'll take a closer look tomorrow, but 1) any chance that it could have developed okay and non-moldy spots on top?, 2) if it is mold, DH asked if we could just throw out the top SCOBY as I think there are two. The spots seemed to be just in the area that was up away from the juice from what seems to be a gas pocket. There was a fruit fly flying around the top above the cloth cover, but I didn't see any inside.

Waah! We spent a few weeks growing the SCOBY from a store bought bottle and we only got a couple batches from it. I don't want to wait or spend more $ on store Kombucha again :( Okay, end of whining and venting! TIA!

ArmsOfLove 04-08-2012 09:37 PM

oh MAN I thought I had made my first batch with white tea so I made my 2nd/3rd batch with it and the scoby didn't duplicate (even though it smells fermented and JUST like the other stuff. I think I'll go ahead and drink it, but I'm going to make more tomorrow with black tea and then I'll have to remember that it has to be black tea.

treehugginmama 04-09-2012 10:32 AM

I've been using green tea and it's been working great.

I ordered the swing top glass bottles today. There is no carbonation what so ever in mine with the mason jars. It just doesn't seem the same with out the fizz.

Dovenoir 04-09-2012 12:29 PM

The only Lipton bags our grocer had were an "iced tea" blend. Anyone have issues with this?

cobluegirl 04-09-2012 12:33 PM

It is probably fine...

easygoinmomma 04-09-2012 01:06 PM

What is the difference between using black tea or green tea?

passthemanna 04-09-2012 01:39 PM

I'm joining in on this thread- I've had my 1st jar of kt brewingin the pantry for 13 days....

cobluegirl 04-09-2012 01:53 PM

I believe the tannins in the black are more developed.... Green tea is a young tea and black is more aged... IIRC

passthemanna 04-09-2012 02:36 PM

so dumb question- but I should have a scoby floating at the top by 13 days right? I just peeked at mine & don't really see anything :shrug3 The instructions I had only called for a few TB of sugar (I used unbleached cane)- so maybe not enough sugar. or my store bought kombucha was too old- it said "drink by" the date I used it :scratch
I used organic black tea and let it cool before adding the entire bottle of store bought bucha...

cobluegirl 04-09-2012 03:27 PM

most recipes call for at least a cup of sugar.... you can add some and see if that doesn't help. The sugar is what the scoby feeds on...

Dovenoir 04-09-2012 06:41 PM

Can't seem to find a thread similar to this on water kefir.. anyone with experience want to spin off?

passthemanna 04-10-2012 10:24 AM

I think I'm just going to start over. I don't think my scoby is alive...may not have been to alive to start with since the store bought bucha was a little old. What bottles do y'all use to store your bucha? I've heard they can explode??

cobluegirl 04-10-2012 10:55 AM

I have used old wine bottles, Sparkling cider bottles, mason jars, gallon jars.. my fav is to use old kombucha bottles..LOL