Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   kombucha 101 thread! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=423094)

cobluegirl 04-23-2013 12:03 PM

Re: kombucha 101 thread!

I never pop bubbles and just use an old milk gallon jar or pickle jar.

dakotablue 04-29-2013 01:52 PM

:banghead I got to stop drinking kombucha! apparently I lack self control :shifty its so so good. I'm drinking it all before the next batch is ready, and I started a 2nd brew too.

(this last one I made tasted just like hard cider. Fresh blackberries are awesome 1 day...not so much 2 days :shifty) I wanna try ginger next.

AND I found a fellow BW that has water kefir grains! I'm going tomorrow! :jump

Soliloquy 04-29-2013 05:33 PM

I saw the movie "Big Wedding" yesterday. There was a continuous brew of kombucha sitting on the counter! :roll Diane Keaton took a whiff and screwed up her face, lol. It was awesome to see the booch on the big screen!

dakotablue 05-03-2013 11:31 AM

sooo. Containers for second brew really do matter...:shifty

I've been doing it in old kombucha bottles, but I bought one poptop style one from Ikea. WOW :jawdrop

It made a HUGE Pop whoosh sound and was so fizzy! I think I'm converting to just using those...is there a place to get smaller ones that is cheap? These are only $4. Plus it only took 1 day when all the rest of the bottles (from same brew) still had very very little.

Oh and slight PSA, its good to check to see if a new scoby has formed before you take a swig of a new bottle :doh Not expecting a slimy thing in your drink can be gross...I did eat it though :P~

Glitterfish 05-03-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dakotablue (Post 5265803)

Oh and slight PSA, its good to check to see if a new scoby has formed before you take a swig of a new bottle :doh Not expecting a slimy thing in your drink can be gross...I did eat it though :P~

My DH is sooooo skeeved out by the scoby.... we 2nd ferment in old honey jars (screw top lid.... not AS fizzy, but not too bad) and it always want to plop out when you're pouring into a glass.

I still haven't gotten the guts to eat one yet :shiver

dakotablue 05-03-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sstarcake (Post 5265817)
My DH is sooooo skeeved out by the scoby.... we 2nd ferment in old honey jars (screw top lid.... not AS fizzy, but not too bad) and it always want to plop out when you're pouring into a glass.

I still haven't gotten the guts to eat one yet :shiver

It wasn't exactly the plan :giggle But I was showing Pumpkin how good it tastes...He would have never touched it again had I made a face and spit it out. ;)

I'm sure its very healthy, but I don't know that I would really intentionally do it.

HadassahSukkot 05-03-2013 12:29 PM

My kids now ask for it "Without an euuuuuuuuaaaaaaagh."

happyhousewife 05-03-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dakotablue (Post 5265803)

Yep. That happened to me this week too. :giggle Gotta check them from now on.

SweetCaroline 05-06-2013 06:14 AM

what do you all do when the balance gets all off on your KT? ..as in something got messed up and it doesnt taste right now?

in the past i've just thrown the entire deal away and gotten a new scoby from someone...is there a way to make it healthy again?

Soliloquy 05-08-2013 12:44 AM

So, I need to start over because I killed all my SCOBYs when life got busy. I was going to grow new ones from GTs and thankfully I saw this
http://www.foodrenegade.com/kombucha-scoby-experiment/

If you remember the big brew ha ha from 2010 when Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms got involved with kombucha :rolleyes and GTs had to reformulate in order for it to be available to people under 21 :rolleyes. Apparently it doesn't grow good SCOBYs anymore. So now I have to find someone . . . :mutter[COLOR="Silver"]

:soapbox Thank you federal gov't. Meanwhile, somewhere someone is selling crack to kids but THANKFULLY no one under 21 is buying kombucha that might get them drunk if they drank 30 bottles! :rolleyes But they made my life more difficult so I guess all is not lost. :mutter

---------- Post added at 12:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetCaroline (Post 5269361)
what do you all do when the balance gets all off on your KT? ..as in something got messed up and it doesnt taste right now?

in the past i've just thrown the entire deal away and gotten a new scoby from someone...is there a way to make it healthy again?

If it has a slight taste of nail polish remover throw it all out.

What exactly is off about it?

pirandellian 05-08-2013 05:37 AM

What!? at least i saw that before DH went out and bought some to try to start a booch again. :sigh

SweetCaroline 05-08-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaM (Post 5272429)
-[/SIZE]

[/COLOR]

If it has a slight taste of nail polish remover throw it all out.

What exactly is off about it?

i cant explain it..its not like nail polish remover..its just not 'right'

houseforjoy 05-08-2013 11:18 AM

i can mail some if anyone needs them. i have some that have been in my fridge as "extras" for a few rounds now (i do throw extra booch and tea in there every other week or so to keep them fed) so just pm me and tell me how to ship it

(i am pretty sure i can mail it in a zip bag priority right?? it would still be fine when it got to people ??)

dakotablue 05-08-2013 12:06 PM

:scratch the KT I bought a few months ago grew one...its huge huge now. ETA Ok...run down of my scoby growing, but I used synergy. It took a month in september to october to get what Is in flicker link though

My scoby keeps trying to escape :giggle I'm starting really like the unflavored kind though...maybe my favorite.

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by dakotablue (Post 4853067)
I'm trying to grow a scoby from a bottle of original syngery...its been 3 days :shrug3 I bought two bottles incase this first way of trying doesn't work.

I read some people suggest to just throw whole bottle in and let it do its thing, and others suggested the actual tea brew then add syngery drink. I'm trying just drink first:shrug3

Oh but...I LOVE this stuff. seriously if I wasn't pregnant I could have drank the whole bottle in 1 sitting. I had to really ration myself. :giggle.

Pumpkin loved it too.

Is the store stuff very different from homemade?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dakotablue (Post 4876855)
Yeah, I have this film, it was at the top, sank. its solid:scratch but not getting much thicker...

Not sure if I should try again? keep waiting? I can't get Kombucha locally

Quote:

Originally Posted by dakotablue (Post 4876898)
18 days, How much sugar should I add?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dakotablue (Post 4902932)
I think I have a scoby

But its weird looking...like layers.

(Link to fliker cause i can't get it to insert here....:shrug3)

Its that a scoby? or babies?

I really really want to brew.

Oh but side note that's awesome and bad, my local Giant now carries Synergy. :rockon

Quote:

Originally Posted by dakotablue (Post 4906610)
I started my first brew :rockon

The scoby...kinda separated into it layers then sunk. :shrug3

So...1 week right :shifty

Ok...run down of my scoby growing, but I used synergy. It took a month in september to october to get what Is in flicker link though

squiddles 05-10-2013 04:44 PM

I hope the pic isn't huge!! Brewed my first batch, got my scoby on Saturday, started brewing on Monday... Temps have been in the 60-70s in the house...

What is this black stuff? Mold? I hope not, there is nothing on the top.. Just the usual milky color

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/11/yba4u8ep.jpg