Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   kombucha 101 thread! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=423094)

backtobasicsmum 09-28-2011 03:21 PM

Re: kombucha 101 thread! *another question #32*

I'd say, give it a try!

Soliloquy 09-28-2011 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustMandy (Post 4187949)

:yes, I've done it, it works! Using two bottles will take less time.

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustMandy (Post 4187949)

:yes, I've done it, it works! Using two bottles will take less time.

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by zak (Post 4187575)
Rock on. I've got mine in glass canning jars (quart size) and no issues so far. That's how MIL has been doing it for a year or two with no issues as well.

I need another gallon jar too. :shifty

Off to have some raspberry!!! :yum

I brew 6 gallons at a time. :lol

backtobasicsmum 10-03-2011 02:31 PM

So, all the boys tried some peach fizzy kombucha today. ds1's comment "It's zappy apple juice!" :yum :giggle If I can convince dd to try it, I'm sure she would like it too. This is good stuff! :tu

Soliloquy 10-04-2011 09:40 AM

It is good, isn't it!! :yum

cobluegirl 10-04-2011 10:52 AM

check theaters that sell pickles.. they often have glass jars that they just throw away....

AngelaVA 10-04-2011 03:26 PM

Re: kombucha 101 thread!

Quote:

Originally Posted by backtobasicsmum (Post 4156358)
I really, really prefer white teas....can I try those?

I wouldn't waste your money on expensive teas, it's not going to taste at all like tea when it's done. I just get black organic generic tea from WF's.

backtobasicsmum 10-04-2011 04:18 PM

Thanks. I did figure that out. I bought some bulk black tea at my local "bulk barn". I'll save my white tea for when I want a hot cup. :yes

AngelaVA 10-05-2011 12:29 PM

:hissyfit I didn't make Kombucha for a few weeks and then I made it again and I just went to check it and there is a layer growing on top with dots of green fuzzy mold. Do I just need to throw this batch out or do I need to throw my scoby out too??

cobluegirl 10-05-2011 12:51 PM

unfortunately with mold... you have to throw the whole thing out and start over.

Soliloquy 10-05-2011 02:12 PM

:cry :yes2

Can you share specifics with us of how you stored it? So we can learn from each other?

AngelaVA 10-05-2011 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaM (Post 4201696)
:cry :yes2

Can you share specifics with us of how you stored it? So we can learn from each other?

I didn't really do anything to store it, I guess that's the problem, I kept thinking I was going to brew more tea for it "tomorrow" and tomorrow turned into like 2 or 3 weeks and there was very little tea left in the container with the scoby when I poured more in.

cobluegirl 10-05-2011 05:15 PM

That is odd. It shouldn't have done that. I have left mine for months...and it hasn't molded..however it usually has a lid on it.

AngelaVA 10-05-2011 05:54 PM

Mine just has a cloth rubber banded around the lid so maybe dust or something or I somehow contaminated it when I was brewing the tea.

cobluegirl 10-05-2011 05:55 PM

weird.... :-/ I store mine in a jar with a metal lid btw.

backtobasicsmum 10-05-2011 06:09 PM

That stinks. Sorry Angela.

Another question: My MIL is interested in this, but she drinks NO caffine and NO sugar. Would a caffene free tea work at all? Like herbal teas? And has anyone ever made Kombucha with honey?

cobluegirl 10-05-2011 06:16 PM

It needs caffeine to grow I believe and the sugar is mostly eaten...

Soliloquy 10-05-2011 06:32 PM

Herbal tea will not work. You might get something but it won't be kombucha and it wouldn't be safe to consume.

You can make it with honey. I've never tried it, though. Quality honey is so expensive. The sugar is consumed by the SCOBY, though, there is very little sugar left if you let it ferment long enough. I'm on the GAPS Diet which doesn't allow any sugar, maple syrup, grains, potatoes, corn, and hardly any legumes but we are allowed to drink kombucha if it has been fermented long enough.

I react very strongly to caffeinated coffee and tea but I don't react to kombucha at all. FWIW.

backtobasicsmum 10-05-2011 07:54 PM

I'll let her know those things. I think she is willing to try my kombucha and see how it goes. :rockon

houseforjoy 10-06-2011 12:44 PM

i thought you couldn't use honey?? i know you can't with water kefir bc of honey's antibacterial properties. i would think it would act similarly on kombucha??

Soliloquy 10-06-2011 10:15 PM

T hat's what I've read many places, too. But I used to be in a couple of kt yahoo groups and there were people who had been using honey for quite awhile. Plus, if you think about it, kt is quite old. Cane sugar used to be extremely expensive, only for the wealthy, and doesn't grow in Russia. They must've used something else originally.

houseforjoy 10-07-2011 11:13 AM

huh! learn something new everyday!! so i have my first strawberrybatch going. how many strawberries do you use? i used like 5 for one quart. they were ones i picked so they aren't the giant super market ones. i also let my batch brew for more then my normal week, and boy was it fizzy!! yummy!! can't wait for the strawberry!! how long should i let it sit again with the strawberry puree?

Soliloquy 10-07-2011 11:51 AM

Anywhere from 2-14 days. Ish. Whenever... :lol

RiverRock 11-07-2011 10:15 PM

So happy to join you ladies for tea! :giggle I just bottled my first batch. :)

When you let your fruit sit in the jarred KT, do you store it in the fridge or at room temp? I'm curious to try flavouring it to see if my dk will drink it that way.

Another question is about storing a SCOBY to give to a friend. Is is okay to let it sit in a plastic ziploc bag for a couple of days (in a bit of it's own tea, of course) until it can be delivered? Should it be in the fridge or kept at room temp?

backtobasicsmum 11-08-2011 01:00 AM

I'll change the title, in hopes someone who knows (not I!) can answer, River Rock.

And I have an additional question as well. After I've brewed my tea, and I'm putting it into jars with lids (I do some with fruit, some without), how do you get it bubbly? Mine isn't getting fizzy. I've done several batches now, following Lisa's method, and I'm tighly screwing the canning jar lids on, but it still isn't getting carbonated.

zak 11-08-2011 03:39 AM

Re: kombucha 101 thread! *another new question #63 and 64*

I store the jarred fruited tea on the counter for 1 day and then refrigerate (per MIL's instructions :shifty ).

I think the scoby can be stored at room temp, I believe that's what Rach does.

No idea on the carbonation, K. I have some batches that are like Soda and others that... aren't. :lol

:popcorn for the more experienced answers!!

Blue Aurora 11-08-2011 05:20 AM

:popcorn The fruit purees are you just taking some fruit and mashing it up?

zak 11-08-2011 05:33 AM

I just toss in whole frozen fruit. Berries and peaches, mostly.

backtobasicsmum 11-08-2011 07:39 AM

I was doing some pureed fruit (through it in my food processor) and some whole fruit. What ever strikes my fancy that day. Neither one seems to get fizzy.

houseforjoy 11-08-2011 08:05 AM

It is okay to put in a plastic bag for the day, but not a good idea for several days. The scoby's "natural instinct" is to clean it's environment, so when it is in plastic it will try to clean the plastic which will leach plastic chemicals into it. it is best to just store in an extra glass jelly/applesauce or whatever jar.

I don't know why yours wouldn't get fizzy :think. i leave mine on the counter to brew about 8 days for the tea, and then i put in a 2 "ice cubes" of pureed fruit, let it sit on the counter up to one day but usually just overnight and it is plenty fizzy. How warm is your kitchen (or wherever you are keeping it)??

anybody have more ideas for what to do with really strong komb?? I let a small batch sit for close to two weeks and it is really vinegary/strong tasting. i know lisa mentioned meat marinate, but anything else??

RiverRock 11-08-2011 08:24 AM

In a book I'm reading about Kombucha it says that you can use it to rinse your hair. :shrug3 You could probably make salad dressing with it, too.

houseforjoy 11-08-2011 08:29 AM

oh!! i bet it would make an AWESOME hair rinse!! thank you for the idea:heart

cobluegirl 11-08-2011 08:34 AM

add a little sugar to it when you add the fruit if it isn't getting carbonated enough. That sometimes helps. I am keeping mine in the fridge with the fruit in it..but I think I may have let it sit out for a few days first. The fridge will slow down the fermentation.

scoby should be fine in a plastic bag. that is how they are shipped..ftr.

Soliloquy 11-08-2011 09:08 AM

Fridge vs room temp, depends who you ask. Some say to never refrigerate them because you'll get mold. I have refrigerated them for months with no issues.

To get carbonation I usually have to let it sit a week or more. And it's not an exact thing, fermentation it's always different every batch. adding a little sugar would probably help like Rachel said.

derdsgirl 11-08-2011 09:25 PM

I have a question! or two!

I've been seeing info about kombucha in different places on and off for the last year. So finally today, I bought a bottle at Whole Foods to satisfy my curiosity as to what it is. Is it supposed to taste like vinegar? It was kinda sweet, but I couldn't get past the vinegar flavor. I wanted to try learning more about it, and maybe making some, because the health benefits look great, but I don't know that I could ever swallow anything that remotely tasted like vinegar. The brand was GT Daves Botanic No. 7. Maybe I just got a flavor that was supposed to be more vinegary?

So basically my question is - can someone point me to a Kombucha I can buy at Whole Foods that is sweet with no hints of vinegar? I want to learn to like the flavor before I attempt to brew my own.

Also - is there an age limit on this stuff? Can my children drink it or should they not? I hated the bottle we got today, but my 3yo took a few sips and liked it. I would let him drink the rest if he wants if it is ok. But I wasn't sure.

cobluegirl 11-08-2011 10:32 PM

yes it is rather vinegary. different flavors are a little different. It is fine for your kids.

derdsgirl 11-09-2011 11:00 AM

Well at least the kids like it. I'll let them finish the bottle I bought. Maybe in the future I'll be able to handle the vinegar flavor better, and can try this. I like the idea of it a lot.

houseforjoy 11-09-2011 11:41 AM

you can also just try drinking a small amount each day. "forcing yourself" if necessary. after awhile you will start to really like :yes

how is your diet? is there a lot of sugar/grains in it? even "good" sugar and grains can make your body used to that taste and reject the more sour taste of kombucha. but if you start drinking it and getting your body signals back in balance you will really enjoy drinking it with your morning muffin :shifty:yes

Soliloquy 11-09-2011 11:47 AM

Ditto. Next time buy strawberry. Tastes like a wine cooler. :yum

My kids guzzle it down. It's great for kids.

easygoinmomma 11-13-2011 07:12 PM

Subbing. I plan to make some tomorrow! :rockon

Blue Savannah 11-15-2011 05:51 PM

:cup

Just getting back into this. :)