Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   What meal do you take to a family with a new baby? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=187318)

MarynMunchkins 01-18-2007 11:34 AM

Re: What meal do you take to a family with a new baby?

Funny you asked this, because I'm taking a meal to a friend tomorrow. :lol

I'm doing baked garlic chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, and brownies. :) I got really sick of casserole type meals when people were bringing them to us. And I'm picky about my marinara sauce, so I don't bring that to anyone. ;)

Iarwain 01-18-2007 11:48 AM

Since I'm on the receiving end of meals this week I'll share what I have received:

meatloaf
stuffed pasta
ham and beans
white chili
beef stew
turkey tacos

All have been wonderful. Some were brought frozen and ready to pop in the oven on another night. I actually like it when someone brings something spicy because I enjoy spicy food and it feels warming and comforting while I'm recovering. I especially like when a green salad is part of the meal. Even better is when it comes in dishes I don't have to keep track of and return. When I take a meal to someone else I often take lasagna or quiche or red beans and rice.

Mother of Sons 01-18-2007 11:49 AM

Oh yeah, I always try to bring a dessert. We rarely eat dessert here so it was a nice treat when someone brought it.

I agree about casseroles, it gets old.

heartofjoy 01-18-2007 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother of Sons
I agree about casseroles, it gets old.

Casseroles are better than fast food. I got nearly 3 weeks of fast food meals last time I had a baby. I wanted to be grateful, but it really upset me.

Punkie 01-18-2007 12:14 PM

What meal do you take to a family with a new baby?

True, although I remember someone brought me a family dinner from Boston Market (she just asked which sides we wanted), and my family really appreciated it :grin

Cari (caringmommy) makes honey mustard chicken for new moms, and her recipe is killer. I have used it on fake chicken, and it still tastes just as amazing.

MarynMunchkins 01-18-2007 12:20 PM

:giggle We got a bunch of take-out too. I thought it was funny that "I'll bring you a meal" meant "thank you for your order". ;)

beatlemommy 01-18-2007 11:58 PM

My mother made my family meals almost every night for six weeks when I was on bedrest last year, and then brought me a bunch of meals for the freezer after I had the baby. Some of the *different* ones she brought were my favorites. She makes a very good simple sweet and sour pork. It wasn't fried by the way, and brought that with rice, carrots, and a dessert. She even tried an Indian dish, cause she knows I love Indian food. She brought hamburgers, and homemade mac and cheese one night. She went an hour away too another town to get us food from P.F. Changs :yum Did I mention I have the best mother in the world. I would maybe just ask if there was something particular they were in the mood for, and maybe list a few options. It is nice of you to do for them :heart

Rabbit 01-19-2007 12:01 AM

Anything without dairy in it is a good idea.

Aisling 01-19-2007 12:25 AM

The doula in me says...at least one dish with a LOT of roughage. First PP BM, with hemorrhoids and all... :giggle

I usually do a chicken dish with a BIG nice salad. :)

hey mommy 01-19-2007 12:36 AM

What meal do you take to a family with a new baby?

People actually take food to families w/new babies?? Where? Guess I wasn't lucky enough to have those people around........

Umm, for ideas, I'd agree w/the crockpot idea above..

katiekind 01-19-2007 07:17 AM

Oh! That makes me sad! In our church, if anyone has a baby, someone's going to be organizing a couple week's worth of meals brought to them.

Thank you for all these suggestions! Monday is my day to bring dinner. I'm taking to heart the suggestion to be sure to include salad and dessert. Am still dithering over the main dish. They all sound good!

DogwoodMama 01-19-2007 07:40 AM

Could we make this thread a sticky, please? :grin

One thing I got that I appreciated was a bean dip & chips (fiber, one-hand dipping) and chicken salad to make sandwiches. :)

YolandaWELS 01-19-2007 07:44 AM

SERIOUSLY

I didn't get a dinner or meal either - What a greatttttt thing to do. Wow. :) On that note - I am lucky enough to have a GREAT cook for a husband ... he always kept crackers and cheese and grapes near me to munch on :D

A dinner idea .. hmmmmm ....

I was so thirsty when I started nursing so I'd definitely include a punch ... Save some for my husband as he loves punch :) (Squirt, Hawaiian, Pineapple Juice, Sherbert...)

I craved carbs as well - So I'd make a lot of chicken alfredo and an awesome salad ...............

The mexican in me would say - Homemade tortillas and "pica dillo" ground beef w/ greenbeans and potatoes mixed in .....

I'm hungry now .... hmmm whats for lunch ....

katiekind 01-22-2007 08:19 AM

I know you're all dying to hear what I decided upon.

I'm going to make Rebecca's baked chicken thighs and potatoes
salad
green beans
brownies

So many of you mentioned bringing dessert, which I rarely think of doing in these situations because dessert is just off my radar screen, but I remember now after reading this thread, being younger and nursing a baby, how I could eat a meal AND dessert, no problem. (Ah, those were the days!) :yum

The salad AND green beans is for the doula in Ashley (gentlebirth). ;)

Thank you all for the help!

Marrae 01-22-2007 10:41 AM

Usually chicken breasts in some kind of sauce and fresh bread is what I take.

:no2 No-one really did this kind of thing for me, so I try to do it for others and now a few here do. :)