Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   What meal do you take to a family with a new baby? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=187318)

TwoMams 07-28-2014 03:37 PM

Re: What meal do you take to a family with a new baby?

From a friend who eats paleo, I was given a big tray of meatballs in a yummy tomato-vegie sauce. Great to just throw in the oven to heat up. She included a pack of pasta & some green veg as an optional side.

tessiemae 09-03-2014 08:06 PM

If the family is omnivorous, I make roast chicken with new potatoes, a big green salad, and chocolate chip cookies.

If the family is vegetarian, I make veggie lasagne with a big green salad, and chocolate cookies.

If the family is gluten-free or food allergic, I make vegan minestrone soup (without noodles), a big green salad, and a berry salad.

By the way, almost 18 years later, I haven't forgotten a detail of the homemade meals brought when our oldest was born. What a lovely, lovely thing you are doing! :heart

peace,
tessiemae

mrskellyray 10-20-2014 09:46 PM

Stuffed shells was my favorite meal brought to us! It's quickly became a family favorite!

purity4God 12-18-2015 04:28 PM

When I had my babies, someone from our church always used takethemameal.com so I could put in any info about what I liked, didn't like, or dietary restrictions. You could always ask the person you're cooking for what they would like since everyone is different.

Both of my babies were sensitive to dairy, which was unfortunate because I love dairy! When I was pregnant I could have dairy, but limited sweets or carbs, & nursing- carbs & sweets, but no or limited dairy. And I went directly from nursing 1st to being pregnant again so I've had dietary restrictions for the last 2.5 yrs straight! So pizza, cheesecake, & ice cream were off limits in both cases, whether nursing or pregnant. I'm hoping to have a small break to eat all I want between this one & next!

After baby #2, my hubby made spaghetti, which is my least favorite meal, one night. Then the next day, a family from church lovingly brought a meal to us. It also was...spaghetti. :no But I thanked God for it anyways! But this is probably a safe dish all around.

Now, all of this to say, for someone who just had a baby, I would probably bring a casserole dish. And dessert!!

AngelaVA 12-18-2015 05:51 PM

Either chicken and dumplings or chicken corn chowder, with salad and cookies if I am organized. Not sure what I would bring if they were vegetarian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ValiantJoy07 12-18-2015 08:49 PM

I like to make chicken fried rice with a veggie. It is easy to make, filling, and reheats well as a leftover.
I like to take a snack and a helpful household thing, a pack of diapers if I have the brain space to grab them.
A friend made us a really yummy bacon, potato and kale quiche (paleo) :yum and a grain free chocolate cake that has become a weekly treat meal.

Bea423 02-07-2016 10:18 PM

I love this thread! We've never gotten meals for having babies because we moved so much we never knew anyone. But growing up we did if someone was very sick. I really loved taking meals to people! We always tried to not do something "typical" since it's not uncommon to eat certain foods over and over (spaghetti, stoffers, creamy chicken and rice casserole). I love all the different ideas!

I usually do:

Roasted chicken already off the bone, tortillas and burrito fixings already prepared (tomatoes, onions, sour cream...) so they can custom wrap their burritos. Sides would be beans and Spanish rice.

Creamy Turkey Wild Rice Soup, bread, large salad with lots of veggies and homemade vinaigrette.

Homemade Saulsbury or Sweedish meatballs, mashed potatoes and a salad with veggies.

As for desserts, it depends. Sometimes people are overloaded with sugary treats every night and sometimes they don't get any desserts lol. I usually go for a slightly sweeter muffin that can go for either breakfast or dessert. Sometimes I'll include a bunch of berries for snacking or a quiche for breakfast as well.