Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   What meal do you take to a family with a new baby? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=187318)

katiekind 01-18-2007 07:04 AM

What meal do you take to a family with a new baby?

I'm drawing a blank as I consider what to fix...that is portable and not too spicy...(the mother is nursing!)

What are some of your standbys for this situation? Or what meal has someone brought to you that was especially enjoyed?

inesperada 01-18-2007 07:05 AM

Re: What meal do you take to a family with a new baby?

My favorite to give and to receive has always been a whole roasted chicken and some sort of side dish that is easy to eat one-handed. :grin

Michelle-Lea 01-18-2007 07:08 AM

Various sandwich meats and bread
Lasagna
Beef stew
Chicken pot pie

expatmom 01-18-2007 07:08 AM

Someone brought us honey mustard chicken, mashed potatoes, caesar salad & garlic bread. Oh, and brownies :mrgreen I still remember that meal fondly.

Wonder Woman 01-18-2007 07:09 AM

hmmm...one I usually do is

make a chicken stock
saute uncooked rice and pasta in olive oil
put the rice/pasta mix in the stock, along with a couple of cans of corn
simmer until it's casserole consistency.

Kind of a homemade Rice-a-Roni type thing, with no preservatives or gunk. And the corn gives you a bonus veggie without adding another dish to heat up ;)

throw in some homemade biscuits (4 c. s/r flour, a glob of shortening the size of a really big egg, 2c. buttermilk.)

No, I didn't grow up Southern. Really.

ETA: don't throw the biscuits in the casserole. I meant throw in as in 'bring with'. Just to clear up any confusion! :giggle

expatmom 01-18-2007 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadensmom
make a chicken stock
saute uncooked rice and pasta in olive oil
put the rice/pasta mix in the stock, along with a couple of cans of corn
simmer until it's casserole consistency.

I'm going to make that for dinner. :shifty

I was just going to post to ask what to make for my family where one kid threw up this morning but is begging for food & the other only eats plain things with no visible green. This fits the bill! How much chicken stock & how much rice pasta?

Wonder Woman 01-18-2007 07:15 AM

I usually cook it in two-to-one ratios....so if I'm planning on cooking 4 cups of the rice/pasta I use about 8 c. of stock :tu

Might be cooking that tonight, myself :shifty

Wonder Woman 01-18-2007 07:17 AM

oh - and sorry about your sick one! :hug2

Marsha 01-18-2007 07:18 AM

we got barbecued beef brisket one time; another fondly remember meal with leftrover potential was a crockpotted beef roast, potatoes and carrots. Another great one was a family meal to go from Buddy's bbq. We got meals every other day for two weeks, so usually we had leftovers in between.
I usually make a chicken tetrazzini with salad, bread, and chococlate chip cookies or brownies. One time I did fresh green beans w/ham, homemade mac and cheese in a grownup version, and homemeade strawberry pie that went over quite well.
I enjoy cooking for other people more than my own family for some reason.

simplegirl 01-18-2007 07:28 AM

baked spaghetti is easy and good.

AmyDoll 01-18-2007 07:34 AM

Chicken Divan, Rice, Crescent Rolls, and Brownies. I usually make the Chicken Divan in 2 half pans for a small family - so they can freeze one for later :)

Punkie 01-18-2007 07:43 AM

Nothing that is like a pot pie, because I must've gotten 5 meals like that in one week after my dd was born. :lol I'm not really a pot pie person anyways, but the thought was super nice.

I was on the committee for bringing food to new mothers at my old church. People most seemed to appreciate my baked ziti with garlic bread and a salad. I would make two dishes, and put them in the aluminum bakers that can be re-used or thrown away. Then they could freeze one and eat the other.

I also got a lot of compliments on vegetable lasagna, homemade mac and cheese, and basically anything that can be doubled and frozen. If you have a little extra time, it is really pretty to get some pound cake and cut it into the letters of the baby's name. Put it in a pretty bakery box, sprinkle it with powdered sugar. Then put a big bow around it, and it is really special :)

kris10s 01-18-2007 08:10 AM

I usually ask if they are overrun with any particular kind of food and based on that either do
mexican lasagna (in two small pans to freeze or use) & bread
chicken corn chowder or tomato basil soup and quiche
salad with chicken (in the summer)
and dessert with whichever meal

Mother of Sons 01-18-2007 08:24 AM

I usually call and offer 2 options. So far they have all picked chicken pot pie. Otherwise stuffed chicken is a new one on my list.

cheri 01-18-2007 10:47 AM

When I had dd, someone made a baked ziti for us. All I had to do was pop it in the oven and heat it up. They sent a salad and bread to go with it. That was my favorite!

I also think things that are just heat & eat like chili, soups/stews, pot pies, or casseroles are easy. Also meatloaves are easy heat and/or freeze *IF* they like meatloaf. I don't really think you can go wrong if you stick with things that are just heat & eat and things that they could maybe freeze if they want to save it for later.

Someone brought us a crock pot dinner around 4 in the afternoon that took about 6 hours to cook and she gave us all kinds of directions like put this in, then an hour later add this, then add this an hour later. I guess it's the thought that counts, but I would never give something like that to someone who just had a baby and doesn't have time to cook.

MarynMunchkins 01-18-2007 11:34 AM

Funny you asked this, because I'm taking a meal to a friend tomorrow. :lol

I'm doing baked garlic chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, and brownies. :) I got really sick of casserole type meals when people were bringing them to us. And I'm picky about my marinara sauce, so I don't bring that to anyone. ;)

Iarwain 01-18-2007 11:48 AM

Since I'm on the receiving end of meals this week I'll share what I have received:

meatloaf
stuffed pasta
ham and beans
white chili
beef stew
turkey tacos

All have been wonderful. Some were brought frozen and ready to pop in the oven on another night. I actually like it when someone brings something spicy because I enjoy spicy food and it feels warming and comforting while I'm recovering. I especially like when a green salad is part of the meal. Even better is when it comes in dishes I don't have to keep track of and return. When I take a meal to someone else I often take lasagna or quiche or red beans and rice.

Mother of Sons 01-18-2007 11:49 AM

Oh yeah, I always try to bring a dessert. We rarely eat dessert here so it was a nice treat when someone brought it.

I agree about casseroles, it gets old.

heartofjoy 01-18-2007 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother of Sons
I agree about casseroles, it gets old.

Casseroles are better than fast food. I got nearly 3 weeks of fast food meals last time I had a baby. I wanted to be grateful, but it really upset me.

Punkie 01-18-2007 12:14 PM

True, although I remember someone brought me a family dinner from Boston Market (she just asked which sides we wanted), and my family really appreciated it :grin

Cari (caringmommy) makes honey mustard chicken for new moms, and her recipe is killer. I have used it on fake chicken, and it still tastes just as amazing.

MarynMunchkins 01-18-2007 12:20 PM

:giggle We got a bunch of take-out too. I thought it was funny that "I'll bring you a meal" meant "thank you for your order". ;)

beatlemommy 01-18-2007 11:58 PM

My mother made my family meals almost every night for six weeks when I was on bedrest last year, and then brought me a bunch of meals for the freezer after I had the baby. Some of the *different* ones she brought were my favorites. She makes a very good simple sweet and sour pork. It wasn't fried by the way, and brought that with rice, carrots, and a dessert. She even tried an Indian dish, cause she knows I love Indian food. She brought hamburgers, and homemade mac and cheese one night. She went an hour away too another town to get us food from P.F. Changs :yum Did I mention I have the best mother in the world. I would maybe just ask if there was something particular they were in the mood for, and maybe list a few options. It is nice of you to do for them :heart

Rabbit 01-19-2007 12:01 AM

Anything without dairy in it is a good idea.

Aisling 01-19-2007 12:25 AM

The doula in me says...at least one dish with a LOT of roughage. First PP BM, with hemorrhoids and all... :giggle

I usually do a chicken dish with a BIG nice salad. :)

hey mommy 01-19-2007 12:36 AM

People actually take food to families w/new babies?? Where? Guess I wasn't lucky enough to have those people around........

Umm, for ideas, I'd agree w/the crockpot idea above..

katiekind 01-19-2007 07:17 AM

Oh! That makes me sad! In our church, if anyone has a baby, someone's going to be organizing a couple week's worth of meals brought to them.

Thank you for all these suggestions! Monday is my day to bring dinner. I'm taking to heart the suggestion to be sure to include salad and dessert. Am still dithering over the main dish. They all sound good!

DogwoodMama 01-19-2007 07:40 AM

Could we make this thread a sticky, please? :grin

One thing I got that I appreciated was a bean dip & chips (fiber, one-hand dipping) and chicken salad to make sandwiches. :)

YolandaWELS 01-19-2007 07:44 AM

SERIOUSLY

I didn't get a dinner or meal either - What a greatttttt thing to do. Wow. :) On that note - I am lucky enough to have a GREAT cook for a husband ... he always kept crackers and cheese and grapes near me to munch on :D

A dinner idea .. hmmmmm ....

I was so thirsty when I started nursing so I'd definitely include a punch ... Save some for my husband as he loves punch :) (Squirt, Hawaiian, Pineapple Juice, Sherbert...)

I craved carbs as well - So I'd make a lot of chicken alfredo and an awesome salad ...............

The mexican in me would say - Homemade tortillas and "pica dillo" ground beef w/ greenbeans and potatoes mixed in .....

I'm hungry now .... hmmm whats for lunch ....

katiekind 01-22-2007 08:19 AM

I know you're all dying to hear what I decided upon.

I'm going to make Rebecca's baked chicken thighs and potatoes
salad
green beans
brownies

So many of you mentioned bringing dessert, which I rarely think of doing in these situations because dessert is just off my radar screen, but I remember now after reading this thread, being younger and nursing a baby, how I could eat a meal AND dessert, no problem. (Ah, those were the days!) :yum

The salad AND green beans is for the doula in Ashley (gentlebirth). ;)

Thank you all for the help!

Marrae 01-22-2007 10:41 AM

Usually chicken breasts in some kind of sauce and fresh bread is what I take.

:no2 No-one really did this kind of thing for me, so I try to do it for others and now a few here do. :)

mamatogands 01-22-2007 08:52 PM

yum!

well, for me, bring on the carbs -- I like to do chicken and noodles with a veggie side and dessert. And maybe mashed potatos too if the people are carby people. :giggle

RealLifeMama 01-23-2007 12:23 PM

I usually call and see what others have been bringing them.
It also depends on the season.
Lately, I have been making a few staple meals:
1) Mild chili, cornbread, green salad and a winter fruit salad
2) Roasted chicken w/ baked potatoes and creamed spinach
3) manicotti ( the kind made overnight) with a greens/fruit salad and garlic bread
4) mexican chicken casserole, black beans and a green or fruit salad.

I generally don't include dessert because I have found that people always are bringing us dessert with our meal and we don't need to have dessert every night, and I figure other people don't either. But I always try to include either muffins or a quick bread or granola bars or something that can be munched on other times of the day.

SPKarenO 01-27-2007 12:05 PM

whatever i bring i make extra so theres easy leftovers for nights when someone isn't bringing a meal or for lunch.

I also try and make it in a throw away container - no dishes for them, no loosing my casserole for me.

I also do bring salad and bread. trying to keep it all balanced. although, i don't usually bring dessert. although, thinking back when dd was born i remember thinking, I WISHED they had brought me dessert.

theres a produce market close by that does hot dinners too, like whole roasted chicken or meatloaf and any number of "specials". I have been known to use them, but i don't feel like its fast food...its just like homemade actually, and they come with fresh veggies sides and a fresh salad and then i get the fresh bread too. (in fact, I've been known to buy 2 identical dinners - one for them, one for us!)

if i make it myself, i do tend to bring a casserole; but in the future I might think twice or call ahead since you all have pointed out how common and un appetitizing it is to get several in a week.

Titus2Momof4 01-28-2007 11:10 PM

I would definitely suggest a casserole type dish, with some biscuits on the side, and maybe a small dessert. I remember when I had Loralai, and I belonged to a MomsClub....the one dish that was brought to me, and that I still make to this day, was a cheesy chicken casserole. Basically, boil a bag of egg noodles. Chop chicken breasts into 1" bite size bits. Cook chicken breasts (that is a 'luxury' to me- I rarely use boneless skinless breasts, unless I get them on sale, but for a special occassion like this... ) and season. Get out a large bowl. Add cooked noodles, chicken, and enough cream of mushroom and cheesy cream soup (whatever it's called....Campbells makes it.. it's basically just a cream of cheese soup) to make the casserole 'smooth' and not dry. Add 1 or 2 cans of drained canned corn. Mix it all up, put it in a 13X9, sprinkle cheese on top, cook at 350 til cheese is melted (since everything else is already cooked, really... so you just need to bake long enough to melt cheese). Serve with biscuits and apple slices or apple sauce.

PS- the reason I sugggest a casserole type dish is that you can drop it off any time of day, and the family can bake it when they are ready. If you drop it off in the AM, you might include a baggy of shredded cheese (so they can sprinkle it on when they are ready to bake) You can bake the biscuits, and they can just mirco them enough to be warmed. This is a VERY simple dish (pretty frugal too, if you get the boneless/skinless breasts on sale... I typically only use leg quarters for meat, but this would be a special dish.

RealLifeMama 01-28-2007 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titus2Momof4

PS- the reason I sugggest a casserole type dish is that you can drop it off any time of day, and the family can bake it when they are ready. If you drop it off in the AM, you might include a baggy of shredded cheese (so they can sprinkle it on when they are ready to bake) You can bake the biscuits, and they can just mirco them enough to be warmed.

Another good thing about casseroles is that you can usually eat them with one hand! I remember when people brought us some meals after my high need DD was born that I just couldn't get around to eating, because they had meat that needed to be cut with a knife and fork. Casseroles with bite sized pieces can be eaten easily while nursing, or holding the baby. Another thing that is kind of easy to eat but not at all healthy is the chicken packet recipe with the chicken, cream cheese, etc wrapped in cresent roll pockets. Serve with a veggie and a fruit salad. They are yummy but really bad for you, LOL.

Titus2Momof4 01-28-2007 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AandNsMom
Quote:

Originally Posted by Titus2Momof4

PS- the reason I sugggest a casserole type dish is that you can drop it off any time of day, and the family can bake it when they are ready. If you drop it off in the AM, you might include a baggy of shredded cheese (so they can sprinkle it on when they are ready to bake) You can bake the biscuits, and they can just mirco them enough to be warmed.

Another good thing about casseroles is that you can usually eat them with one hand! I remember when people brought us some meals after my high need DD was born that I just couldn't get around to eating, because they had meat that needed to be cut with a knife and fork. Casseroles with bite sized pieces can be eaten easily while nursing, or holding the baby. Another thing that is kind of easy to eat but not at all healthy is the chicken packet recipe with the chicken, cream cheese, etc wrapped in cresent roll pockets. Serve with a veggie and a fruit salad. They are yummy but really bad for you, LOL.

LOL!

Well, that is true- Loralai was my first child to be fully/exclusively breastfed.. and I did appreciate that I could eat this dish with one hand, while nursing simultaneously. Good pt about the casseroles :tu.

katiekind 01-29-2007 08:21 AM

Your casserole recipe is making my mouth water! :yum

RachamMama 02-25-2007 12:46 PM

I think the key is taking what will most bless the family you're feeding.. :heart

When I was on bedrest we had meals brought in 3-4x weekly. The ones we really appreciated were when people made an effort to find out what type of foods our family liked and what we'd had a lot of. (we went through a phase of everyone bringing meatloaf, spaghetti or pizza - we started just throwing it in the freezer and driving for takeout we were so tired of the same thing!) My DH eats very little meat and I loved the Mom who called and asked us to send some of our regular recipes so she could bring those!

A couple of other thoughts: try to tailor portions to family size, it stinks to not have enough food and use throw away dishes so Mom doesn't have to worry about keeping up with them!

3PeasInAPod 02-25-2007 12:58 PM

The meal I most enjoyed getting was a carrot & potatoe casserole, along with crescent rolls. It was very filling & healthy while BF.

aseason 02-25-2007 01:20 PM

I like to take chicken fajitas or chicken ziti with salad and bread.