Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Need help with natural/chemical free cleaners... (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=448073)

Mandolin Gypsy 05-03-2012 01:26 PM

Need help with natural/chemical free cleaners...

Hello, everyone! I am new here, think I've only posted once.

I am trying to educate myself about all natural/chemical free household cleaners. I am interested in knowing which store-bought household cleaners are truly chemical free, as well as finding some recipes for homemade chemical free.

Those at the store that I've been looking at are the brand names:

-Method

-Meyers

-Seventh generation

-Simply Green

Are any of the above TRULY all-natural????

I'm more interested in this for the safety and health of my children than I am in being earth-friendly at this point, saying that so you know where I'm coming from!! :)

Thanks for your wisdom--

klpmommy 05-03-2012 01:29 PM

Re: Need help with natural/chemical free cleaners...

I use baking soda, vinegar, Dawn, water & hydrogen peroxide for 99% of my home cleaning. Cheap and safe for kids & pets.

mamacat 05-03-2012 01:46 PM

I use what K. usesd except 7th Generation dish soap instead of Dawn.Recently got a sample for this - a powder that you add to a spray bottle of ater -and really like it:http://www.igozen.com/ProductDetails...uctCode=GC001S

sweetpeas 05-03-2012 06:41 PM

I use 50/50 white vinegar and distilled water (distilled water won't clog the spray bottle as much), sometimes with a splash of essential oil (lavender, tea tree, lemon, or orange) for the following:

Mop the floor
clean counters/tub/sink
clean mirrors/windows
spot clean the carpet

I use baking soda mixed with a little castile soap in place of "soft scrub"

I used baking soda &/or vinegar to clean the toilet until I started having the girls do it, it's easier for them to get up under the edge with the shaped bottles that you can buy toilet bowl cleaner in, so I get Ecover

I use soap nuts for laundry

Ecover for laundry stains

white vinegar for fabric softener

Ecover for dishes (both hand washing and dishwasher)

Ummm . . . what am I missing? I don't really have any "real wood" to dust, so usually just use a dry microfiber cloth. When I had a china cabinet (had to get rid of it when we moved, no room in this house), I made furniture polish with olive oil, orange essential oil, lemon juice . . . something like that, you can google and find recipes.

mamallama 05-03-2012 10:10 PM

We use Seventh Generation for the dishes we hand wash and we make our own dishwasher powder with borax and washing soda. Our sink drains to a gray water line, so it was important to us to make sure harsh chemicals are not going down the drain. We put vinegar in the rinse aid dispenser.

I use concentrated BioKleen all purpose cleaner for most other things. Dh doesn't like vinegar and I can't guarantee all my cleaning time will be during the day, so BioKleen is a great compromise for us and it works beautifully! I also like that I don't have to worry about the kids being exposed to anything harsh when helping me clean. I can even use it in my carpet cleaner. I love it!

crunchymum 05-03-2012 10:23 PM

Here's a great thread with lots of recipes: http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...d.php?t=114066

I use shaklee for a lot of my cleaning (basic H) with a little essential oils for pretty smells. :) baking soda is another staple, and vinegar. I do use some non natural cleaners, but very minimum. I LOVE mrs. Meyer's basil scent, but I'm not sure how natural it is. :think right now I'm using 7th Gen dish soap because it was on sale. :lol I use "regular" auto dish detergent, though, because nothing natural I tried has ever ever worked. :(

Mandolin Gypsy 05-05-2012 10:02 AM

Thanks ladies!!

This gives me a starting point. I'm even going to look into natural ways to wash hair/body, etc. (Baking soda for hair, probably).

I'm going to check that link, too!

Thank you.....;)