Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Soups *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=539)
-   -   Bone Broth 101 (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=459280)

Stiina 09-05-2012 10:48 AM

Bone Broth 101

Let's talk all things bone broth!! I searched, and there's no thread with any of this information all compiled together.

I make bone broth with soup bones from my butcher - sometimes they have meat on them, sometimes not.

I plunk it in my slow cooker, add a bunch of water, a couple big glugs of ACV, a head of garlic and a tablespoon of Real Salt. I put it on Low for 24 hrs or so, then let it cool and strain it. I usually make soup right away and only end up freezing about 1 ice-cube tray of the broth, but I'd like to use it more often since I've learned about it here on gcm.

I feed the meat to my toddler and use the broth to make soup. I've cooked some veggies in the broth before, and stir fry is yummy when you add some broth. But that's about it.

I'm intrigued by crushing the bones and using them for things - the bone in my last batch was crumbly after about 12 hours but I gave it to the dogs. Whoops. Now that I know you can use the bone, the one in this batch isn't getting crumbly at all even after 24 hours! :doh
How do you use the bones?

Hit me with everything you do with your broth!!

JenLovie 09-05-2012 10:50 AM

Re: Bone Broth 101

:cup (of warm broth) Following along.

charla 09-05-2012 10:51 AM

:popcorn

crunchymum 09-05-2012 11:12 AM

I've only made it once. :giggle but I loved how it turned out!

I used this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwHQ0...e_gdata_player

Basically, I roasted the bones until nice and golden brown, plunked them into a stock pot. Added a little salt, some bay leaves, and balsamic vinegar (the acid helps pull the minerals from the bones). Covered the bones with cold water, and brought it to a boil. Then I turned the heat the the lowest setting and let it simmer away for 3 days. The video says you can cook it for 5 days, but I did less. I think I read somewhere that it should be at least 2. :think

Anyway, it was soooooooo delicious.:yum I'd like to try making bouillon sometime, too.

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

Oh, and I did give the bones to my dog. :yes

3boysforme 09-05-2012 11:17 AM

I do the same, sometimes I roast the bones sometimes I don't. It just depends on how much time I have. I do not grind the bones in either. Does it make that much of a difference nutritionally?

Jen- how does one make boullion? Is there a link to a how to? I use chicken boullion a lot and would love to do a homemade version.

mamacat 09-05-2012 11:36 AM

I just have such a hard time even finding bones. We dont have an old fashioned butcher here and the ONE grocery store that still deals with bones will not sell them or give them away. There is a wonderful but pricey grassfed beef place that sells the bones but they are costly.. One other little family ownedmarket has them sometimes but dont even like to get meat here.........

3boysforme 09-05-2012 11:45 AM

What kind of bones do you use for beef broth? I have only done chicken and turkey so far. I can get knuckles from my grocer, would that work?

ValiantJoy07 09-05-2012 11:46 AM

kids are up gotta run :popcorn

crunchymum 09-05-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3boysforme (Post 4836624)
I do the same, sometimes I roast the bones sometimes I don't. It just depends on how much time I have. I do not grind the bones in either. Does it make that much of a difference nutritionally?

Jen- how does one make boullion? Is there a link to a how to? I use chicken boullion a lot and would love to do a homemade version.

I don't think it makes a difference nutritionally, I just think it adds taste and color. :shrug IMO everything is better roasted!

The video I linked has directions to making bouillon. :yes Basically, after you've made the bone broth and scooped out the tallow, you make a reduction with the broth. :) that's it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3boysforme (Post 4836682)
What kind of bones do you use for beef broth? I have only done chicken and turkey so far. I can get knuckles from my grocer, would that work?

I just get beef "soup bones" at the grocer. I hear knuckles make great bone broth. :yes

charla 09-05-2012 12:09 PM

I'm in the same boat. I can figure out chicken or turkey bones, but I have no idea what kind of beef bones and where to get them.

crunchymum 09-05-2012 12:11 PM

I think also getting "marrow" bones works. :think

raining_kisses 09-05-2012 12:15 PM

I am IN LOVE with chicken bone broth. I make it once a week, and use half for soup right away and half for ice cube trays. I cook everything with the cubes these days. Rice, veggies, pasta sauces, taco meat, hmmm...can't think of anything else. Oh wait, I add it into mashed potatoes.

I want to try beef broth next. :yes

3boysforme 09-05-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charla (Post 4836720)
I'm in the same boat. I can figure out chicken or turkey bones, but I have no idea what kind of beef bones and where to get them.

I did do a beef broth after we had a whole rib roast for Christmas one year. It was a very good broth :yes but obviously rib roasts are expensive to buy just for the bones :giggle

Amy 09-05-2012 12:20 PM

I've read that marrow bones are suppose to be very healthy (or is it the same as other bones?). I buy my beef bones from the hfs and I use chicken carcasses after a roast chicken for chicken broth.

Stiina 09-05-2012 04:11 PM

mamacat, that stinks that you can't find any! Knuckles are good, but most places you just ask for soup bones and they know what you're talking about.

I'm going to poke Joy. She made ground-up-bones-popsicles for her boys. :tu And I want to know more about it!