Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Technical Corner (Electronics, Computers, Websites (like Facebook), Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   Storing digital photo's (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=401560)

Codi 03-17-2011 12:32 AM

Storing digital photo's

What is the best way to store digital photo's?

Right now I have my photo's on CD's, but have been told that is actually not the best way to store digital photos. The same person told me that an external hard drive is the best way to store them.

What is THE BEST way to store digital photos? They are my PRIZED POSSESSION and the first thing I would save in a fire. They are VERY important to me. Having lost a years worth of photo's due to a computer crash, I am scarred for life and want them stored the best way possible.

Thanks!

I wanted to ETA that my photo's are the first thing I would save in a fire AFTER my family. ;) :giggle

Barefoot 03-17-2011 12:35 AM

Re: Storing digital photo's

I have an external hard-drive (well 2 actually, in case one fails) You can get them as big as a Terabyte, so will hold thousands and thousands of photos.

Codi 03-17-2011 12:43 AM

So do you have a copy of each picture on both external hard drives?

megmac 03-17-2011 12:54 AM

External hard drives here as well.:yes

We keep copies on the computer and on cd's for easy access. We keep one set of hard drives in the study and one in storage in the garage. The garage is not attached to the house so the likelihood of both burning down in a fire (also my greatest fear) is unlikely.

Delaney 03-17-2011 03:39 AM

We use an external hard drive as well.

I also have a bin of regular film pictures (heavy), and I have always told dh that these puctures are very important to save in the case of a fire/flood etc. Although, we have never lost any before. These as well as the file folder with all our birth certificates and important papers. Except that all of these things are in differnet parts of the house......... I need to get more orginaized.

megmac 03-17-2011 04:23 AM

I've scanned all our regular pictures, like the ones before the digital era :lol, and put all those on the eternal hard drive.

Delaney 03-17-2011 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megmac (Post 3767388)
I've scanned all our regular pictures, like the ones before the digital era :lol, and put all those on the eternal hard drive.

This is smart. How many pictures did you have to do, and how long did it take?

Macky 03-17-2011 05:54 AM

External hard drive with Time Machine (Mac thing) for main backup. DH also backs me up periodically (computer and external drive) on the server downstairs. He backs up the server on tape (I think, at least he used to) periodically as well. Yeah... my DH is a techie at a bank. We're not losing anything around here. :giggle

Barefoot 03-17-2011 05:55 AM

Yes, I have 2 identical copies. I am so scared of losing everything. I also use the web based photobucket.

AngelaVA 03-17-2011 06:07 AM

I feel the same way you do. I lost all the photos of DD1's first year (except the ones I printed) and it scarred me for life I think. Here is what I do: external hard drive, at the end of the year photos for that year are burned to CD's as well (so if the external hard drive crashes I have the CD's) and I have newly started using Smug Mug and am in the process of selecting important photos from each year to store there too so if my house actually did burn down, I would still have my photos and my scrapbook pages.

Happygrl 03-17-2011 06:37 AM

We have two external hard drives just for pictures. One we keep here and the other we keep in my mom's bank box (the kind @ the bank). We switch them regularly so the one in the security bank box is current (usually every 2-3 months). Then I also keep them updated on Picasa. I figure three copies plus our regular computer SHOULD cover my bases. :giggle

Leslie 03-17-2011 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codi (Post 3767315)
Right now I have my photo's on CD's, but have been told that is actually not the best way to store digital photos. The same person told me that an external hard drive is the best way to store them.

Our church stores mp3 sermons on the computer hard drive and an external hard drive, as well as the original CD's they were recorded on. They've already lost two external hard drives and are on their third.

What's wrong with saving photos to CD's?

I have mine on three different computer hard drives, and CD's as a back-up. A very few I put on CD and keep in a safe deposit box at the bank.

LovinBeingMommy 03-17-2011 06:40 AM

I have all my pictures on an external harddrive and on DVDs. My plan is actually to make a second copy of the DVDs and send it to my grandmother's house so pictures won't be lost if something happens here. :shrug3 Takes time, which I don't have, so we'll see when that happens...

Codi 03-17-2011 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 3767563)

What's wrong with saving photos to CD's?

:shrug3 That is just what someone told me. That CD's are not reliable and I should not use them as my back up. I was thinking the same thing when I heard that. ALL my pictures I have ever taken in the last 6 years are on CD. (Before I got a digi cam I have alllllll the prints in a box too that is HEAVY!)

LovinBeingMommy 03-17-2011 11:47 AM

I'd think the risks for CD's are about equal to the ones for an external drive... CD's scratch, drives go bad. Both can usually be saved, but not easily.