Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Spring Cleaning 2019 (Fall Cleaning for those Down Under!) (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=526949)

Soliloquy 04-04-2019 03:25 PM

Spring Cleaning 2019 (Fall Cleaning for those Down Under!)

Anybody started? I've done little bits but I need to get motivated.

We got one huge hot spot totally cleared. Our former project/art/homeschool room is going to become a bedroom. Everything in that room either got moved to a new home or donated/tossed. Feels so good. Dh is painting it, then my younger ds will move in to it. That will start a domino effect of the kids changing rooms as we have the time and money to paint. I'm so excited for all of that to be done.

So, I'm going to spring clean those bedrooms as they get vacated, not before. I want to get the main living areas and my bedroom done, though.

Clear out project room
Fertilize citrus trees

Declutter
Dust
Move furniture, clean underneath
Mop
Vacuum
Rug Doctor

Wash all bedding, switch to lighter summer blankets
Go through my closet
Go through drawers, switch out winter for summer

Re-organize Christmas decorations
Go through storage closet

Wash all winter jackets
Check ski equipment, store for next winter
Put away sleds
Clear off porch.
Burn cardboard
empty woodstove
Put gloves and hats away
Go through my "mom" bag
deep clean front entryway

Sort and organize beach gear.
Buy new swimsuits as needed.
Buy new sunscreen.

Bathe dogs

MaybeGracie 04-04-2019 05:04 PM

Re: Spring Cleaning 2019 (Fall Cleaning for those Down Under!)

We're doing the kids' bedrooms over the next week. Want to get rid of as much as I can, especially in the older boys' room.

Vicki_T 04-04-2019 11:48 PM

I need to do some Spring cleaning, but I'm not feeling very motivated :bag We're taking two weeks off from homeschooling over Easter and I'd like to use some of that time for cleaning, though we've already got things booked in for several days so I may need to plan in which days are for cleaning so they don't get taken over with other things. I should also probably make a list of what I want to get done :think

simplegirl 04-05-2019 06:08 AM

It's our spring break here. I'm moving as slow as a snail but getting some progress done, pile by pile. My son's school does a yard sale fundraiser so that is my motivation to go through closets/drawers and declutter!

charla 04-06-2019 08:01 AM

I did quite a bit of spring cleaning a little early. We swapped furniture in two rooms and part of one and so that resulted in deep cleaning under and behind most of the furniture in those rooms. I washed curtains in three rooms, thoroughly cleaned mirrors, vacuumed couches inside and out, tidied everything in those three rooms. I've been wanting to clean under and behind the stove because it just gets so gross there. So the other night I had no choice but had to clean it when I dropped an entire crockpot full of bbq meatballs on the floor and it splashed all over the stove on the front and sides, the back wall behind the stove (how did it get there?:shrug3) and the cabinets surrounding the stove. It was a big job, but now my stove and surrounding areas are clean. I replaced my winter wreath with my spring wreath on the front door.

RiverRock 04-06-2019 09:32 AM

Along the lines of replacing a winter wreath with a spring wreath...I need to do that as well as properly store my Christmas decorations. I have a final project due on Friday for a class I've been taking, and then I need to get into a routine of some sort. I am so behind on cleaning and organizing that I think need to schedule weekly cleaning times and just work as I feel and where I feel to move through the house. There will be a lot of shuffling, purging, deep cleaning, and then regular maintenance to keep everything nice.

Two weeks ago I spent two hours in the kids' bathroom doing a deep clean, and then about that much time in one of my kids' bedrooms. I've started, but it will be a long process to make it through the house.

I also hung some artwork that I bought a few months ago. I have more that can be framed and/or hung.

I have too many things to do to make a list (which surprises me, because I usually like an excuse for a list), so I'll plan for blocks of time and just do stuff until the house starts feeling fresh and comfortable again. Right now it feels grungy and neglected.

Soliloquy 04-15-2019 12:35 PM

Just added re-organize Christmas things to my list. I was getting over a nasty virus when we took it all down and I just put in the closet any which way. :doh

Dh was out of town last week. I usually tackle projects when he's gone but I didn't feel up to it. Maybe this week. It's so cold and rainy so outside projects have been put off. I should be able to tackle some indoor thing.

RiverRock 04-15-2019 03:26 PM

Thanks for bumping the thread, Lisa. I need to come up with a plan. The weather forecast here is for rain and I have a lot of free time this week.

I can also relate to your Christmas decoration situation, Lisa. I put everything into boxes, and into the middle of the garage. I need to find a new place to store Christmas stuff because I don't trust that my crawl space will stay dry. My storage closet was turned into a Lego room, but now I think it will need to be used for storage again.

I need to go through all of rooms and do thorough cleans instead of just quickly tidying with a selective spit and polish. Today I started on the outer surfaces of the kitchen, but I need to spend some time in cupboards and in the pantry. I also need to clean the windows in that room. I'll be pleased if I get the kitchen done. :tu

heartofjoy 04-15-2019 09:17 PM

I'm planning to spring clean after I get back from FL in May. My son's graduation is going to be at our house on the 18th, so I have to get things clean by then. My house smells like dog right now. :sick I am so over it.

mummy2boys 04-16-2019 01:30 AM

Its still fairly warm here Down Under :wink so I'm trying to get a little bit of cleaning and decluttering done each day.

Thanks for this nudge :)

Soliloquy 04-16-2019 01:04 PM

My kids burned the huge pile of cardboard boxes that accumulated over the winter.

Other than that I'm not feeling motivated. :sigh

RiverRock 04-16-2019 01:07 PM

I cleaned out the tea drawer yesterday. Right now I'll clean out the spice drawer and see where that takes me. One drawer or shelf at a time. Maybe I'll put on an audio book and get going. I have an unexpected day at home so I might as well use the time wisely.

knitlove 04-16-2019 09:47 PM

There are some catiagories of things that I have less space for in our new house. I need to week out my dish towls and see if I can ger them to fit in the drawer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RiverRock 04-19-2019 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverRock (Post 6177855)
I cleaned out the tea drawer yesterday. Right now I'll clean out the spice drawer and see where that takes me. One drawer or shelf at a time. Maybe I'll put on an audio book and get going. I have an unexpected day at home so I might as well use the time wisely.

The spice drawer is done, and yay, no pantry beetles! :shifty I also soaked and scrubbed the exhaust fan covers. :sick I used a toothbrush and dish soap to scrub away the grease.

JoannaV 04-20-2019 01:38 PM

I put kids' boots and coats away. (Well, the boxes are in my car right now, but they'll go up in the garage next time it's open.)
Need to remember to clean out the coal stove.

Oh man, I just remembered earlier today I had put soap on the sunroom table and sprayed around the bottom of the toilet and neither of those things have I returned to clean!! I'd better run!

Soliloquy 04-22-2019 08:13 PM

I got a few things crossed off.

tempus vernum 04-22-2019 11:48 PM

In exactly 2 hours, Im off 9 days . 3 of those are traveling so lost of the next two days are Dr appts and prep for our trip.

Clean up landscaping and mulch— wait! Rainy, cannot do!
Start garden plans
Swim suit area
Bathroom cupboard

Tupperware
My closet and dresser
Under our bed- mop/dust our room
Start basement
Start homeschool area
Sell homeschool stuff
Implement new house rescue plan.

?Paint our room

I’m sure I’m being overly optimistic as I should spend some time resting :giggle but better to have a bigger goal than too small ;)

Soliloquy 04-26-2019 10:06 PM

I wasn't planning on deep cleaning my eldest's room until she moved in to another room but we did a bunch of cleaning anyway. She gets overwhelmed. I just start tackling things. She's really grateful. She has friends over tonight and her room is nice and clean.

Lots of bedding got washed. I put away some of the heavier blankets but the nights are still very cool and I can't put them all away yet.

I also am starting a list of things to be done every single day, nothing more than 15 minutes. So my dh can look at the list and do them or direct the kids to do them. Every time I've tried to implement something like that before it's been all on my but I think he's on board this time.

RiverRock 04-27-2019 10:30 AM

We have company for a potluck dinner tomorrow, and then next week my mom will be here for a few nights. Time to prep the house and do some meal planning. I have had a headache for at least a week, making it hard to think, so I'll start on one side of the house and slowly make my way across. First up, rec. room that's over the garage.

heartofjoy 05-06-2019 09:49 AM

I'm back from FL. I have 2 weeks until my son's graduation which is taking place at our house. My house needs to be cleaned top to bottom. It smells like dog and dirty kids. I am thinking of starting upstairs this week since that part of the house won't actually be seen by the guests, unless my son takes friends upstairs.

Then next week, I'll do the downstairs really well. And hopefully it'll stay clean for Sat. I am going out of town again Thurs night-Fri night right before the Sat graduation. Everything has to be done by Thurs midday.

Today I am working on decluttering the downstairs in prep for cleaning and I'll work on cleaning my own room, unpacking, and laundry.

Soliloquy 05-06-2019 10:04 AM

Got more things crossed off

RiverRock 05-06-2019 12:04 PM

I started to clean off the back deck. It's highly visible from our kitchen and living room windows so I'm constantly reminded of how messy it is out there. This week I hope to put flowers in the planters. Our night temps are finally high enough to put seedlings outside and direct sow. I'm also dreaming about new patio furniture...

Soliloquy 05-06-2019 12:54 PM

I just deep cleaned the front entry way. The baseboards and walls get all scuffed up from winter boots. Looks and smells so much better. The cats scratched one of the baseboards. I need to paint over that but no rush.

My only big job left is to move the big sectional and clean under it.

And my closet.

RiverRock 05-09-2019 04:22 PM

It feels good to have had a day at home to slowly work on a few jobs. I washed walls, changed burnt out lights, and cleaned windows and screens in a few rooms. I also bought indoor and outdoor plants that I will put in planters later today.

Someone came today to power wash the back deck and tomorrow they will brush play sand in between the pavers. I bit the bullet and ordered patio furniture. I want to enjoy our outdoor space more than we have in the past few years.

charla 05-09-2019 08:40 PM

Not exactly spring cleaning, more like summer cleaning - our goal is to get the garage cleaned up this summer. It's a mess of a dumping ground. I usually feel like a very organized person until I look at our garage. Yikes. :jawdrop Dd and I started in there tonight to make some room for ds bringing all of his college stuff home tomorrow and we got a good amount done for a pretty short time. Hopefully we freed up enough space for his stuff. And then we can go back through individual stuff and cull and consolidate this summer.

knitlove 05-09-2019 09:32 PM

We got the van in the garage! Getting both cars in is fairly tight what with bikes and lawn equipment but we did it.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b5d54715bb.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

heartofjoy 05-10-2019 10:09 AM

I did so much yesterday even though I had a cold. Now I am totally worn out! I moved dh's "office" out of the kitchen and into the dining room, which we use as a school room. I cleaned out a bunch of books that I need to sell. I washed shelves as I moved everything around. I have a couple of bags of clothes in the back of my car. I moved 2 rugs out of their rooms and tomorrow I plan to wash them on my driveway with a hose! My dogs have been having fun peeing on them. :sick

Our garage is terrible. I need to work on that when I get the energy.

Soliloquy 05-16-2019 01:15 PM

I've been avoiding doing my closet. My excuse is that we have warm days and cool days. It makes sense to wait until the weather is consistently warm. :shifty

ThirstyTurtle 05-20-2019 11:32 AM

Our downstairs flooded with almost 3 feet of standing water at the end of February. We are in the middle of fixing it back up.

I still have a bunch of paperwork clutter from the downstairs in my bedroom.

Our screened-in porch desperately needs a deep cleaning and the things from the downstairs that is on it organized.

My stove really needs to be moved and cleaned underneath.

mummy2boys 05-29-2019 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6180728)
I've been avoiding doing my closet. My excuse is that we have warm days and cool days. It makes sense to wait until the weather is consistently warm. :shifty

That sounds reasonable to me Lisa :D

I've been in a bit of a rut lately so not much has gotten done :shrug3 But today I went through some of my books and now have a pile to donate to our church library so that feels good :D

ThirstyTurtle 05-30-2019 12:36 PM

We got the screened in porch cleaned up fairly well. Unfortunately, we are emptying out the POD into it, so it still isn't back to normal. :doh

RiverRock 06-16-2019 11:20 AM

I empathize, TT. I'm almost finished cleaning out the garage, but then I want to set a table up in there so I can continue to bring clutter out of the house for processing. It almost seems counterproductive, but I suppose it isn't much different than cleaning the counter to make dinner (and a new mess). :shrug3

The last of our patio furniture arrived yesterday. I just need to do a bit of spot cleaning where birds have left their marks, and then get into the habit of using chair covers on the chat set. My dh has been sitting outside almost every day after work. New patio furniture was a great idea.

I hired someone to help me with the garage on Thursday. We got about half of it done in 2.5 hours, and then yesterday I did a bit more. Today I will finish. I have posted a lot of things for sale and took a load to the thrift store. I have a box of items set aside for delivering to people. I filled about two of those wheeled garbage cans full of garbage. :shifty I knew it was bad, but I didn't expect to be throwing away so many shoes and old sports equipment!

I'm getting over the flu, so I'm not going to put too much pressure on myself today. Finishing the garage will be it. Hopefully the lady who helped me (she has a cleaning and personal organizing business) will have time again to help me this week. I asked her to keep my on her fill-in list for Thursdays. She was a big help. I was afraid of being overwhelmed but we worked well together.

heartofjoy 06-16-2019 06:39 PM

I have a slow week this week and I hope to actually get some things out of the house!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Soliloquy 06-26-2019 01:48 PM

All I have left are 2 closets. I hate doing closets.

Lots of stuff leaving the house! :woohoo

RiverRock 06-26-2019 02:01 PM

I'm happy for you Lisa. :yes It must feel good.

tempus vernum 06-26-2019 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonshineMama (Post 6178277)
In exactly 2 hours, Im off 9 days . 3 of those are traveling so lost of the next two days are Dr appts and prep for our trip.

Clean up landscaping and mulch— wait! Rainy, cannot do!
Start garden plans
Swim suit area
Bathroom cupboard

Tupperware
My closet and dresser
Under our bed- mop/dust our room
Start basement dh did basement entirely
Start homeschool area
Sell homeschool stuff
Implement new house rescue plan.

?Paint our room

I’m sure I’m being overly optimistic as I should spend some time resting :giggle but better to have a bigger goal than too small ;)

That’s my updated list

Summer cleaning/ large chore list
*clean homeschool area
*Make like of Hs things to sell
*make list of HS things to buy
*work on my closet and dresser
*paint upstairs bathroom
*paint my bedroom. (I’m not sure how to get this done. W dh and I on opposite schedules ... :think But it is on my radar !)

heartofjoy 06-26-2019 09:05 PM

Jodi, your list is almost identical to mine! I'm so unmotivated though.

Tomorrow I'm going to Costco, then planning to finish cleaning the homeschool stuff, list items for sale, and take stuff to donate. If I get that done, it'll be more than I've done in weeks.

tempus vernum 06-26-2019 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartofjoy (Post 6184550)
Jodi, your list is almost identical to mine! I'm so unmotivated though.

Tomorrow I'm going to Costco, then planning to finish cleaning the homeschool stuff, list items for sale, and take stuff to donate. If I get that done, it'll be more than I've done in weeks.

I keep saying once I’ve rested up for the summer I will have energy to tackle my homeschool stuff. But our break is halfway over and I’m as tired as I was the day we started summer break :doh

I believe I’m delegating. And may pay the youngest to clean out my own personal homeschool cupboard since she’s going to be starting high school and it will be all about her after ds graduates :giggle

charla 06-26-2019 09:25 PM

Well the garage clean out has been derailed by so many things. We have gone through quite a few boxes though and got them organized. And hauled off one large load to charity. It doesn't hardly make a dent though. :sigh Maybe we'll get more chances during the summer. :shrug3 I hope so.

heartofjoy 06-26-2019 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonshineMama (Post 6184551)
I keep saying once I’ve rested up for the summer I will have energy to tackle my homeschool stuff. But our break is halfway over and I’m as tired as I was the day we started summer break :doh

I believe I’m delegating. And may pay the youngest to clean out my own personal homeschool cupboard since she’s going to be starting high school and it will be all about her after ds graduates :giggle

Delegating is an awesome idea! I feel the same about energy levels. Summer break is half over and I still feel like I need a break before I start doing anything.

My husband moved his "office" from our kitchen table to our school room table and I still haven't really organized that space well. I can't even wrap my brain around it. Maybe if I clear stuff out tomorrow, organizing the rest won't seem so hard.

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by charla (Post 6184556)
Well the garage clean out has been derailed by so many things. We have gone through quite a few boxes though and got them organized. And hauled off one large load to charity. It doesn't hardly make a dent though. :sigh Maybe we'll get more chances during the summer. :shrug3 I hope so.

A friend and I were just talking about how getting rid of stuff doesn't even seem to matter. There's just always more stuff!