Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   heavy Cream substitute (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=487813)

thankfulheart 08-15-2013 09:11 AM

heavy Cream substitute

My dd has been begging for corn and red pepper chowder but I haven't made it for months and definitely not since changing from Vegetarian to Vegan. The only thing I need to sub is the 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup heavy cream. It's added at the end to thicken it up a little more.

I have looked online but found several different things...I trust you ladies more. :yes I can't ruin a whole pot of soup that would feed us for several days. :)

We have regular unsweetened almond milk so could that work for the milk? I've also seen online suggestions for boiling down non dairy milk till it's think and using it for cream or using canned coconut milk for the cream...not sure how that would taste though.

What do you do?

mommylove 08-15-2013 09:28 AM

Re: heavy Cream substitute

I think a milk sub will change the taste & not thicken it. So personally, I'd skip the milk subs & figure out what will thicken it. Things I would consider include: pureed white beans, mashed potato or potato flakes, cornstarch or arrowroot powder. I would probably also add nutritional yeast.

Perhaps you could dole out a cup of soup & add something then taste. So that way, if an ingredient doesn't work, you haven't ruined the whole pot.

ShangriLewis 08-15-2013 09:49 AM

I make potato soup with canned coconut milk.

I sauté onions and garlic. Then add potatoes. Then 1 can of coconut milk for a regular pot. Then broth or water to cover the potatoes. When the potatoes are almost done I add corn and green chilis.

Not sure if that will help.

Cherish 08-15-2013 10:08 AM

I use a thick coconut cream from trader joes (brown can) if you have that available and you all like that flavor, it can be quite good in chowders. If you want to keep that same flavor profile, though, I would suggest something else like the previous poster, thickening with some other veggie pureed.

thankfulheart 08-17-2013 06:38 PM

Okay, I made a huge pot of the chowder and instead of the milk and evaporated milk I used a can of coconut milk and also potato flakes. It was DELICIOUS! We all liked it better this way....Bug kept saying she likes it the vegan way better! :)

It did change the flavor a little bit, but it was perfect.

I did scoop out some and try it with the coconut milk and flakes before doing the whole pot. :)