Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Front Loading Washing Machines- Need a new one (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=530334)

RealLifeMama 08-09-2022 12:22 PM

Front Loading Washing Machines- Need a new one

I love, love, love my washing machine. It is a front loader. It is 11 years old, and it was a Whirlpool duet, but it was not the duet that was in most stores 11 years ago. They had different models, and the "normal" one that was high capacity front loader was a model number that started with 95. There was also a 96, and a 97, and we got the 97, which had features the others did not. So, when I heard people say "I have a Whirlpool Duet I hate it" it was not my washer. I have been kicking and screaming about getting a new one, because all I ever hear from people is about how much they hate their front loader. But, I love mine and always have. When we bought it, they said we'd get about 8 years out of it. It has done about 20+ loads a week for 10 years, with no "stank", so I think it has done really well.

DH has MacGyvered it all he can, and we are just going to have to get a new one.
We use my MIL's Kenore Elite in our basement, which I think is an LG, and I do not like it. It smells. It does not clean as well. It does not have the automatic detergent dispenser. It says it has a "stay fresh" option, but it does not blow a fan and tumble like our washer. It just tumbles. So, I can't put a load of clothes in before bed and take them out in the morning without them smelling. It does have some sort of smart option, but I don't need that.

Does anyone here have a front loader that is still available for purchase they actually like? Specific, because like I said, there were at least three "Whirlpool duet high capacity" models available when we bought ours.

ECingMama 08-09-2022 02:21 PM

Re: Front Loading Washing Machines- Need a new one

Dad's works great. I'll look next time I'm there (Sunday).

Katigre 08-09-2022 02:38 PM

We used to have a front loader at our old house and loved it. Then we had a regular top loader at our current house, and we just replaced it with this LG top loader which is :heart. It is the BEST for large capacity and a family!!!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-5-0-...-white/6321755

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

I think that this is the direction washing machines are going - top loader with the capacity of a front loader.

I have cut my laundry loads in half - it can do twice as much as our old top loader.

RealLifeMama 08-09-2022 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katigre (Post 6273489)
We used to have a front loader at our old house and loved it. Then we had a regular top loader at our current house, and we just replaced it with this LG top loader which is :heart. It is the BEST for large capacity and a family!!!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-5-0-...-white/6321755

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

I think that this is the direction washing machines are going - top loader with the capacity of a front loader.

I have cut my laundry loads in half - it can do twice as much as our old top loader.

That link is not working.
Anyway, I want to stick with a front loader if possible. It makes it so much easier for my younger ones to do the laundry, and I like having the counter over my machine. Also, since everyone does their own laundry on their given day, I do not think that the load sizes will change even if the machine accommodates more.

In addition to the fan, having a presoak or prewash option, as well as selecting how many rinse cycles I want is important to me. I miss my old washer so much!

ECingMama 08-09-2022 03:31 PM

Whirlpool - 4.5 Cu. Ft. High Efficiency Stackable Front Load Washer with Steam and Load & Go Dispenser - White
Model:WFW5620HWSKU:6313760

Oh and because we always get asked this when people see that we own front loaders, here’s how we keep a front loading washer from getting grime-y:

1) Always leave the washing machine door open after you run a load so it can air dry. This is so ingrained in us that we often absentmindedly did it when we had a top loader too. Thankfully this closet is deep enough that the washer door can be left about 8″ open to dry out while the main closet doors are fully closed. So if you’re planning a laundry closet with front loaders, some extra depth is really nice for that purpose.

2) We run these tablets called Affresh through the washer every once in a while, which also really keeps things clean (this isn’t sponsored we just buy them and they work – we used them for all 5 years with our front loading washing machine in our first house).

from younghouselove.com

Dovenoir 08-09-2022 06:18 PM

https://www.lowes.com/pd/LG-4-5-cu-f...TAR/1002544016

Just bought this based off the recommendations from Consumer Reports and reports and from our most recent repair guy.

I love the capacity and there's a lot more finessing on how the clothes get washed.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

RealLifeMama 08-09-2022 06:24 PM

I love how that one :up has the easy to get to trap at the bottom front of the washer. My MIL's has that feature, and it is kind of ridiculous that all washers don't have it like that.

Soliloquy 08-11-2022 02:35 PM

I absolutely love my front loader but I have no idea if it's still available. I have a Samsung, it's my second Samsung washer. It has a timer delay which is much better than the stay fresh option, in my opinion. If I'm going to bed or leaving the house, I set the timer so the load is done when I'll be available to take it out, up to 24 hours.

I also love the steam setting. The steam setting is absolutely amazing for getting the stink out of fitness and athletic wear.

Any front-loader washing machine will smell if not properly cared for. The door must be left open when not in use. Once you get mold in the gasket, you can usually never fully remove the smell. The self-cleaning cycle will greatly reduce the smell but it will come back. The best thing is to always, always keep it open when not in use and clean as directed.

Are you a member of Costco? Their return policy is so good, it's where we try to buy our appliances.